Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sins of a Solar Empire series > Trinity

Old 11-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
devorules

most important techs for economy?

just wondering what you guys go for. i usually go for early trade and max populations..... should i go for the extraction increases early game or later? also, some diplomacy techs seem very useful however i don't get them until late in the game. the labor one seems particularly useful, i don't remember the details of it though
Old 11-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
wrath89

If you're in a spacious map or are not in a competitive game, going for early trade can work wonders. Increasing the population limit when you get close to full can also help increase your income somewhat.

If you're playing TEC it can sometimes be beneficial to research the cheap extraction techs in tiers 1 and 2, but anything more than that simply costs too many resources to be worth it in most cases.

If you're looking to improve your economy, you should aim to research as little as possible, except for the useful very cheap techs and the bare essentials, and to put all excess funds into building trade ports. Try to get as long of an initial trade chain as you can, and then build more trade ports on planets until logistics slots are almost completely full.

Building more trade ports is usually much more effective than additional research - except if you're TEC and are going for Pervasive Economy.

Enslaved Labor reduces the credit cost of all ships and structures and is very useful to get right before you start building a significant fleet (30+ ships).
wrath89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
devorules

thanks for the tips... i usually do a lot of research for some reason. which military upgrades do you recommend besides the ship types? i usually do as many as i can :x
devorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
wrath89

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorules View Post
thanks for the tips... i usually do a lot of research for some reason. which military upgrades do you recommend besides the ship types? i usually do as many as i can :x
Um. If it's a cheap tier 1 or 2 or 3 tech, and if you have 20+ combat-oriented ships which would benefit from it, it can sometimes be worth it - otherwise, skip it completely.

In competitive games players rarely research more than a few of the essential techs, because most other techs simply aren't worth the cost.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:56 AM   #5
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath89 View Post
In competitive games players rarely research more than a few of the essential techs, because most other techs simply aren't worth the cost.
There are a whole lot of "essential" military techs. As the game progresses players will research higher and higher level techs. Also, as the game progresses and as your economy and fleet expands, it will make more and more sense to research some of the "less essential" military techs. For example, as Vasari you might focus on Phase Missiles. But later on you might want to go get the Level 1 and 2 pulse weapons (or whatever it's called) upgrades to buff your starbase's standard weapon.

Part of the strategy of this game is to figure out what to tech and when to do it. It's going to change based on numerous variables, which is part of what makes this such a complex and challenging strategy game.
Whippersnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
wrath89

It really depends on how much extra funds you have... and for many of those reading these pages it would probably be best for them to be investing nearly everything into their fleet. But your point is well taken that at the higher levels of play, carefully weighing research options with your fleet size/composition is important.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
devorules

thanks for the tips, i'm definitely not researching like crazy anymore and i seem to be having much more cashflow!
devorules is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sins of a Solar Empire series > Trinity