Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Trine series

Old 11-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
InsaneAvenger

Trine 2 Spiders?

I tried the demo of Trine, and I really love the concept and want to get Trine 2, however I have arachnophobia (the fear of spiders/scorpions/etc). I was wondering if there was any way to skip the levels that have spiders.

If anyone knows, I would appreciate the response.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
cl4ym4n

Check here. Exactly about the same issue.
cl4ym4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Elenoe

huh, and I thought I have fear of them as well... But I don't really mind those on monitors as they simply cannot escape Skyrim's one looks realistic but they are not crawling on screen (as they do in some games) and they definitely don't jump on screen (as AvP played as human do)... so they seems ok for me...

And I guess you cannot avoid specific monster in game. It was impossible in Trine 1 and... I don't see a way how to allow players to avoid them (other then option to use candy models instead of spiders - like Serious Sam 3 has )
Elenoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
InsaneAvenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenoe View Post
I don't see a way how to allow players to avoid them (other then option to use candy models instead of spiders - like Serious Sam 3 has )
I actually wish that was an option. As this looks like a fantastic game, but one I will have to miss simply because of the spiders.

Shame... D:
InsaneAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
Elvick

I suppose if you get someone else to play the game before you do, then you can skip the chapters that have spiders in them.
Elvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
nuR421

While I don't mind implementing a skip level feature I would love to say this much:

Games are a sandbox experience. You can't be harmed.

It shouldn't matter to you what you're confronted with as it's only a game. A deep fear that's so strong to prevent you from playing through a level with spiders is probably something you should try to get fixed.

We all fear death. Eliminate that from games?
Some fear insicts, spiders etc - good luck with that as most games have them.
But what about fear from water? Make a desert option?
What about fear from height? Make a play on the parking lot option?
What about fear from darkness? What's the point of playing a horror game with lights on?

Sorry to say this but reality isn't that gentle and in virtual space what does it matter? If you feel that your fear is getting the better of you just pause for some time or avoid games of related genre entirely until the issue is fixed.

We can't change games for individuals. To 99,9999% of all humans arachnids belong into fantasy games. Some even make them an intelligent species capable of interacting and speaking or having entire civilizations.

+1 on skip though. It's easy to do and bothers no one. Achievements should not be given though (sorry but that'd be lame and I don't care about achievements at all but they'd be pointless this way)
nuR421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
Arantor

As one of the people who fears spiders very strongly, to the point where I do find it hard to play a lot of fantasy games (cartoon and very ridiculous spiders I can just about manage to cope with, e.g. like the ones in DeathSpank for example), let me turn it around.

Death in games is quite a bit removed from death in life. It's quite a bit different to show you the picture of yourself dead (presuming that is what you fear) vs a picture of a large spider (if that's what you fear)

"most games have them". No, no, no. Most games do not feature spiders. Nor do most games feature insects. There are games that strongly feature spiders - like Trine does. There are games that strongly feature insects, like Apidya going back a few years. I avoided Apidya, knowing full well what it contained.

Fear from water... interesting one. Given that full on hydrophobia is pretty rare (and you'd likely have had far more trouble getting to the point of being a computer games player by then anyway), it's debatable how much change would be required. Mind you, most computer game water is significantly less realistic or intimidating than it might seem.

Fear of heights isn't that uncommon. But you'd be surprised how few games actually trip the height-fear factor, because it just doesn't quite work. The irrational fear of heights is almost always triggered by the underlying fear of falling, not the height itself. But the common psych response that kicks in when faced with fear of height is to psychologically make the distance seem bigger, so you avoid it. Computer games, generally, don't trigger the same fear response.

You're right on the darkness one though. If you don't like the dark, you don't play horror survival games.

Here's the thing. It's all about choice. Given the choice, I don't like going near spiders. I *really* don't like it, but in the context of a game, I can simply choose - as I said - to not play. And I know I'm not alone in that feeling.

I think it's down to how prevalent the fear is and how far a company is willing to go to satisfy its customers. Should FrozenByte not provide a spider-free experience, I'm not going to hold some kind of grudge. It'll be sad, sure, because I enjoyed the first one (even with the spiders... brrr) but at the end of the day, that's the game they want to provide, and I respect that.

I'd be more than happy to pay extra if they're prepared to accommodate me and those like me. To put it into context, I wasn't asking them to make a horror game have toggleable lights. I was asking for certain monsters to have a different model - it's not a game-breaking change, it's totally an aesthetic one that doesn't significantly affect how the game is delivered or played from (I would hope) the developer point of view.

I've coped with my fears of spiders and insects for nearly 30 years thus far. It doesn't normally inhibit what I do or play, because I don't play the normal games that it's an issue in - I don't play that many fantasy games, but of the ones I do play (DeathSpank, Magicka) it gives me unpleasant shivers even when I can send large amounts of gameplay damage in their direction. All that happened was that it was a tolerably small issue in the first game for me, and that I'd personally prefer it not be the big and scary deal it will be in the second. If that means I don't play it, that's fine. I have many other games to play in the meantime, which don't have spiders in.

One last thing: you say that things can't be changed for individuals. Even on the few threads it came up in, it sounds to me as though it's more than just one or two people who have the same problem. How many does it have to be before it's significant enough to be worth the change?
Arantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #8
Elvick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arantor View Post
There are games that strongly feature spiders - like Trine does.
Unless "spiders" means "skeletons" then no, it did not strongly feature them.

The fact I couldn't even remember them is evidence of that and I've played through the game at least 5 times.
Elvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:08 AM   #9
Arantor

I was more referring to Trine 2 actually than the first one (which is the reason this debate is even happening), however the first one does have spiders, they're the things that sit on walls and spit at you.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
JoelFB

Frozenbyte
We're obviously aware of this (since the first thread), but I can't really promise anything at this point.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Arantor

*nods* I appreciate that you've at least read the comments, which is more than most developers do!

As I said (either in this thread or the other one), it's got to be down to you and the FB team to make a call on whether you think it's worth the effort involved. I and others like me are going to be prepared to stump up for DLC for it, but if it's not viable or not likely to generate significant extra sales (and conversely, the margin of sales is not likely to be *that* much lower), it's fully understandable that in that situation you wouldn't proceed with doing it.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #12
jonathanmcleod

What about people who are scared of water? Should the water be removed to?

How about people who are scared of metal? Should all of that be removed as well?
jonathanmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
Arantor

Scroll up and read the posts going into this in more depth. The tl:dr; version is that while there are people afraid of those things, they're in a much smaller minority than those afraid of spiders.

Also, it's not like at any point I've said "Take them spiders out for everyone", it's simply that for me and people like me, I will have to choose not to play this game because of its content, which is a shame as I really enjoyed the first one. The option, of course, is to provide alternative content - that I'm *perfectly willing* to pay for. As are the other people (note plural) who have indicated the same thing in other threads.

And as I've noted, if it turns out that FB are unwilling to compromise their artistic vision, or that it's simply not worth their time in so doing, so be it. But for the (surprisingly high) number of people who are affected, it would be awesome if there is an alternative.

And yes, it would be awesome if there were a version with alternative artwork for those who are afraid of water or metal, except that 1) they're *incredibly rare* and 2) if you're afraid of either of those things to any serious degree, you're probably not going to able to function in society to the point of being able to earn money to purchase a game anyway.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
JoelFB

Frozenbyte
Yeah haven't seen anyone scared of the water or metal in Trine 2. I hope the game becomes so successful that we'll get to that though!

Anyhow, with the spiders it's not feasible to have something like this as a DLC (paid or unpaid), it's not that kind of a feature even if people would be willing to pay for it (unless we'd totally rework the enemy into a completely different enemy entirely, which is not going to happen). So it's either an option we include somewhere or nothing at all. In all honesty this isn't on the top of our priority list, so it'll take a while until I have a definite answer on this.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
Arantor

I did sort of expect that to be the answer, oh well. At least you're prepared to listen and at least consider it, rather than just outright saying no.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Trine series