Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Thief series

Old 11-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
irongamer

Do you have Steam Thief: DS running? Report video card and drivers.

Hello,

After playing a bunch of Skyrim as a Thief type character I figured I should play a real Thief title. I love the thief series. So I picked up Thief: Deadly Shadows on Steam... with a Windows 7 64bit OS. I guess that was a mistake.

I can't get the game to even launch. Steam even entered an unending game start loop, where Steam would keep trying to launch the game.

I have searched through a dozen threads on the Steam forums about getting this title to run. I also have read through about half that many out on the rest of the net.

Nothing seems to work. What I find interesting is people say the game works fine. I'd like to narrow down why it is not working on my particular system. After a few replies from some people I'm focusing the issue being my video card.

My current setup:
GeForce GTX 460 2GB
280.6 drivers

I will be updating these drivers to 285.62 and see if it makes a difference.

Do you have Thief: DS running?
What video card are you using?
What video drivers are you using?

Thanks.

Last edited by irongamer: 11-27-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
justsomedude

runs fine on my machine although the steam overlay doesn't seem to work...

win7 64bit
radeon hd 5970 with 11.10 drivers
justsomedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:13 AM   #3
ashley2ashes

i have been able to play it fine, windows 7, some integrated graphics chipset or something like that.
ashley2ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
irongamer

Well, I have seen 3 people (1 from another thread) list their video cards and so far they are all non-nvidia cards. Maybe I'll give my integrated graphics chipset a go.
irongamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Rockn-Roll

irongamer: My system is an i7 extreme with 6GB RAM, nVidia GTX560 with 1GB RAM with driver version 280.26 and a Fatal1ty X-Fi audio card with current driver and Win7 Pro 64-bit.

I installed from the retail disk and it's working fine...the only thing I do special is run as administrator because Thief Deadly Shadows was developer for XP before the User Account Control was implemented so it expects the user to have full access to everything such as the Administrator now has on Vista and Win7.

The previous two Thief games (Gold and Metal Age) also work fine on Win7 64-bit, but these two games need to be restricted to a single CPU via Task Manager or a program from Microsoft named imagecfg.exe. I've also posted the C++ code that can accomplish this necessary step in the Eidos forum: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...9&postcount=28 so anyone can build their own app with the free visual studio from Microsoft or their favorite development environment...it uses plain simple Win32 calls.

It sounds like Steam isn't installing the original Thief Deadly Shadow files with the 1.1 patch...they may have tried modifying the content thinking it will help, but as usual it just breaks it for people that would have no problem with the retail disks. So, if you are having problems with the Steam version then get your money back and buy a retail copy...the Thief Collection which includes all three previous versions are available for less than $13 on Amazon.

Last edited by Rockn-Roll: 12-03-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Rockn-Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
ashley2ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongamer View Post
Well, I have seen 3 people (1 from another thread) list their video cards and so far they are all non-nvidia cards. Maybe I'll give my integrated graphics chipset a go.
thats actually kind of ironic because when the game launches it plays a nvidia ad that says "nvidia: the way its meant to be played."
ashley2ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
mikaelolsson

Windows 7 ultimate x64
8 gigabyte of ram
3.16 ghz intel core processor (dual core).
And a geforce 9800gt 1 gigabyte (driver: 8.17.12.7533)
mikaelolsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
slay3r.saber

Windows 7 x64 HP
8GB of RAM
Core i5
Geforce GTX 570 (285.62)
Sound blaster X-fi

I have just finished playing second mission. Game runs just fine.
slay3r.saber is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Thief series