Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Take On Helicopters

Old 11-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
oceansize_72

This is a helo sim. So why am I having to shoot people while on foot?

Don't get me wrong, I am generally pleased with this "sim".

But I expected to Take On HELICOPTERS, not Take On INFANTRY during a FLASHBACK.

When I want to go prone, find the key to hold my breath while I right-click to zoom in, then correct my aim point to allow for wind speed and bullet drop, trying to plink off pixel-sized infantry from hundreds of yards away, I'll play Arma II, TYVM.

If you're going to force me out of a helicopter in this helo sim in order to pursue a greater narrative (which is fine), you sure as heck better not make the non-flying part really really hard. WTF???
Old 11-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Derbysieger

Then don't shoot them, run! Much easier and not difficult at all. This is actually one of my favourite missions in TOH. Starts very slow and then gets really exciting. It felt a little bit like Eagle Wing (without the horror of a nuclear war).

I shot 4-5 guys during that mission but I didn't need to. I could have just run away.
Stay on the move, avoid the OPFOR groups and you should be fine. The CAS will do the shooting part for you.
Derbysieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
meercat

Yes run for it. (If you take a look at objective description in the diary I think it says there not to engage with the enemy).

Oh and to save 20 minutes of non-stop running, make sure that you dont spend the 3 mintues before the 'go to extraction point' objective is triggered heading in the exact opposite direct to where the extraction point 'spawns'!
meercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
Jedra

I also enjoyed this part. It's just there way of showing that you don't just fly helicopters! I did suspect that non-Arma veterans may not like this bit though as if you try and fight your way out it is hard! It didn't help me first time that the AI managed to crash the CAS helos and left me on my own to deal with the enemy!
Jedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
Herbaceous

I was a little unlucky with this mission and injured myself during the emergency landing.

My main frustration was my inability to stand up and run, as the mission stated. I was desperately trying to crawl away as the squad ran towards me. Do or die scenario - die being the inevitable result in each attemnpt... I would have reverted to an earlier save point in that mission had it not also been hellishly difficult to succeed in a controlled crash landing - on hilly terrain. Not really one of the game's finest missions, but definitely challenging. I'm likely to try it again at some point, just to prove to myself I can do it.

Luckily, it appears you don't have to do the flashbacks if you don't want to. Just select the other option when talking to the brother. The career will continue with or without those military outings, although your responses to him will differ and I have been unable to tell if it will change anything dynamically in the campaign.

Can anyone confirm this for me please?
Herbaceous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Souls

I agree this mission sucks. I bought this game to fly helicopters not play a FPS!
Souls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
usi DirTyDeeDs

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souls View Post
I agree this mission sucks. I bought this game to fly helicopters not play a FPS!

Luckily for you, you bought a game with far more gameplay than you originally intended.
usi DirTyDeeDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
flarp

wait what? you shoot people in this game?

can someone explain?
flarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
Jedra

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarp View Post
wait what? you shoot people in this game?

can someone explain?
I am going to assume that you are not being sarcastic....

There are campaign missions which involved flashbacks to Takistan which involve military helecopters, and sometimes shooting people.

Also there is at least one community made mission which is a port of a mission from Arma 2 where you get to shoot lots of people as well as fly helicopters!

It's built on the Arma 2 OA engine, so shooting stuff is in it's blood!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
flarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedra View Post
I am going to assume that you are not being sarcastic....

There are campaign missions which involved flashbacks to Takistan which involve military helecopters, and sometimes shooting people.

Also there is at least one community made mission which is a port of a mission from Arma 2 where you get to shoot lots of people as well as fly helicopters!

It's built on the Arma 2 OA engine, so shooting stuff is in it's blood!
no i wasnt being sarcastic, i dont own the game yet :P

thanks.

so do the helicopters handel like ARMA2 or is the flight model better? What about cockpit detail like detailed gauges, working switches, etc?

accurate startup/shutdown procedures?
flarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #11
Jedra

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarp View Post
no i wasnt being sarcastic, i dont own the game yet :P

thanks.

so do the helicopters handel like ARMA2 or is the flight model better? What about cockpit detail like detailed gauges, working switches, etc?

accurate startup/shutdown procedures?
The flight model is MUCH more complex than in Arma and more like the real thing. Although there is a startup/shutdown procedure it is not a full simulation like say in A-10 or DS2.

The flight model has been subject to much discussion and is in the process of being reworked with the aid of community members who are real pilots. You might want to take a look at the following threads...

Flight Dynamics in ToH

Community Flight Model

Flight Model Editing

There are two good community patches released (in the links above) that make the flight model more realistic and most people are confident that with further tweking it will be as good as it can be in a simulator.

Even without the tweaks, as a non real life pilot I found it very challenging and enjoyable to fly. I am however now using the flight model patches just so it's not so much of a re learning excercise when the official patch is released!

If your thing is proper startup and shutdown procedure/radio discipline etc then it's probably not a game for you (until the community addons start rolling).
Old 12-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
Hendrich

I loved that mission. Sure, perhaps FPS isn't your thing, but it helped break up the gameplay a bit and made me feel a bit of a rush trying to survive on foot. It helped make you feel more than a shell driving a flying vehicle.

However, the FPS mechanics are nowhere as tight as the helicopter ones, wished that was atleast improved.
Hendrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
Jedra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrich View Post
However, the FPS mechanics are nowhere as tight as the helicopter ones, wished that was atleast improved.
This is because they are not really FPS mechanics they are military simulator mechanics borrowed from Arma 2. They take a while to get used to and I guess those of us who play Arma2 a lot have an advantage in these sections.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Take On Helicopters