Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Trine series

Old 12-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
3dReadyGamer

Unhappy SLI scaling bad...

I have 2 x gtx 480's and the game puts most of the stress on my bottom card causing it to heat up rapidly. It gets up to 89 degrees celcius, and utilizes about 75 % of the GPU. The top card only gets utilized around 20% and that card only gets to 58 degrees celcius...
Old 12-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
cl4ym4n

Isn't that more of a graphics card problem rather than a game problem?

Already updated your drivers? AFAIK the updates usually feature new profiles for SLI to optimize the performance when using multiple GPUs? Correct me if I'm wrong... I'm on a single GPU so I have no actual clue...

Other than that you might want to PM andrewf@nvidia - he's the senior product manager for 3DVision and replied to a few threads regarding Trine 2 and 3DV.... maybe he can help you out with your SLI problem or atleast redirect you to someone at Nvidia, who can.
cl4ym4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
3dReadyGamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl4ym4n View Post
Isn't that more of a graphics card problem rather than a game problem?

Already updated your drivers? AFAIK the updates usually feature new profiles for SLI to optimize the performance when using multiple GPUs? Correct me if I'm wrong... I'm on a single GPU so I have no actual clue...

Other than that you might want to PM andrewf@nvidia - he's the senior product manager for 3DVision and replied to a few threads regarding Trine 2 and 3DV.... maybe he can help you out with your SLI problem or atleast redirect you to someone at Nvidia, who can.
This is a problem with SLI on Trine 1 as well. Luckily for me (when playing that game) 1 gtx 480 is all that is needed (and it only utilizes like 50% of the GPU) to run the game properley with low temps...

This could be a driver issue, but I think the game could use a patch to fix this issue. I can resolve the issue, by lowering the FXAA - settings... BUT DADDY I WANT THE SETTINGS ON HIGHEST SETTINGS!!!

please fix this issue so I can max out all the settings with an even load on both GPU'sl... Thanks!
3dReadyGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
cyborg34573

Your problem is odd, because SLI Scaling is actually fine with this game, perfect even. Maybe you dont have the SLI profile for it yet. I believe the SLI profile for this game just released yesterday, in your Nvidia control panel, go to Help - Updates - Check for updates, it should tell you that a new update has been released adding SLI profiles for games (including Trine 2). If that still doesnt fix anything, just manualy add Trine 2's executable and set SLI mode to "Force Alternate Frame Rendering 2" or 1, which works best for you.

And btw if you want the highest settings (that is possible to you), edit your config file and set SSAA to 6x, its beautiful. It can go up to 16x but one would need some beastly hardware to do so, i can imagine SLI'd GTX590's with 3GB memory.

But to increase SSAA just go here and change "AntiAliasSamples". With 2x GTX480's i think you can handle 6x SSAA at 50-60Fps in 1920x1080 resolution.

%APPDATA%/Trine2/options.txt

Last edited by cyborg34573: 12-09-2011 at 09:10 PM.
cyborg34573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
3dReadyGamer

There is no sli update that came out yesterday...

I went and checked both through the NVIDIA control panel and NVIDIA.com, under the driver downloads...
Old 12-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
cyborg34573

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dReadyGamer View Post
There is no sli update that came out yesterday...

I went and checked both through the NVIDIA control panel and NVIDIA.com, under the driver downloads...
Sorry, it was on the 8th, my bad. Heres proof

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...rg221/File.png

It basicaly updated/added SLI profiles (including Trine 2). Someone from Nvidia Confirmed that himself in one of the posts here.

"hey guys, this is Andy from NVIDIA. The official SLI profile is out now and it's fantastic.

Using Very High Detail and Extreme AA, I went from 55fps on 1x GTX 580 to 100fps on 2x GTX 580s (100fps is the max possible framerate).

By default, an app called NVIDIA Update is installed alongside our drivers, and in NVU the default setting is to check for new SLI profiles once per day. You can force an update to immediately receive the profile by following these steps:

- Open the NVIDIA Control Panel
- Click 'Help' on the top right
- Click 'Updates'
- Click 'Check For Updates...'

In the Preferences tab the SLI updates setting should already be ticked, but if not you need to tick that and then re-check for updates.

For more on the game and tech you can check out my article *hint hint* http://www.geforce.com/News/articles...nches-on-steam "

But if you cant get a hold of the update, like i said, set Trine 2 to SLI Mode "Force Alternate Frame Rendering 2" or 1. If that doesnt work then im afraid i had no idea.

Last edited by cyborg34573: 12-09-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:59 AM   #7
cyborg34573

And heres a quick a quick screenshot i just took showing how well SLI scaling is in this game.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...2-52-28-78.jpg

Image is a bit blurred cause of photobucket, but you can see in the top left corner that both cards are at 80+ percent usage (The percentage in the middle tho just to be clear, the last ones to the right are just fan speed percentage). So yeah i really think theres something wrong with your drivers, or you do not have the SLI profile yet cause i remember having the same problem as you (SLI wasnt scaling properly, secondary card wasnt being used much) till i manually set SLI mode for this game to "Force Alternate Frame Rendering 2".

And if anybodys wondering why both my cards are working hard at 80 percent usage and why their temps are abit high (top card gets to 79c at some points), thats because i have set the game to use 6x SSAA, very heavy, but wonderful.

Last edited by cyborg34573: 12-10-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
3dReadyGamer

You are using the Beta drivers, where I am not...

That is why you found an update. Intersting that they don't update the SLI profiles for the WHQL drivers...
Old 12-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
XOMTOR

If you're using Nvidia Inspector (which you should be BTW), the SLI profile for this game is 0x02400005. Supposedly it was released with an Nvidia update in the last day or so.
XOMTOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Trine series