Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 12-11-2011, 08:43 AM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #1
Chase M

Valve
Lightbulb How to change the language in Batman Arkham City

Hey everyone,

We realize that some of you are having issues changing the spoken/displayed language for Batman Arkham City. Please take the following steps to change it to your desired language:

*It is advised to make a copy of the original UserEngine.ini file before modifying anything in case of any mistakes.

Go to the directory where the launch obtains all of the user settings i.e. controls, save files, configuration etc... (default location: “C:\Users\(User Name that is used for install)\Documents\WB Games\Batman Arkham City\BmGame\Config”

Right click the UserEngine.ini and select open with notepad/wordpad.

Scroll down to the “[Engine.Engine]” section and you will see the language section (by default you will see “Language=int” or whatever it is currently set to)

Simply change the “int” to the desired language i.e. “Language=fra” for French

The lists of languages are:
German = deu
Mexican Spanish = esm
Spain Spanish = esn
French = fra
English = int
Italian = ita
Polish = pol
Russian = rus

Last edited by AciD: 12-21-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: corrected directory
Old 12-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
JackM

There is a much better solution for this so the language option will not be reset each time you go thru the Batman: AC launcher (where you can configure options).

- Edit Launcher.ini located in Steam\SteamApps\common\batman2\BmGame\Config folder
- Search for [Launcher.CultureMap] section
- Put a semi-colon before each line in this section except "default=Int" and "en=Int". This section should now looks like:
Code:
default=Int
en=Int
;fr=Fra
;it=Ita
;de=Deu
;es=Esn
;es-MX=Esm
;pl=Pol
;ru=Rus
;pt=Por
- Save the file

Now your launcher and the game are in english.
JackM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
goner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackM View Post
There is a much better solution for this so the language option will not be reset each time you go thru the Batman: AC launcher (where you can configure options).

- Edit Launcher.ini located in Steam\SteamApps\common\batman2\BmGame\Config folder
- Put a semi-colon before each line in this section except "default=Int" and "en=Int". This section should now looks like:
Code:
default=Int
en=Int
;fr=Fra
;it=Ita
;de=Deu
;es=Esn
;es-MX=Esm
;pl=Pol
;ru=Rus
;pt=Por
- Save the file

mine don't work.....can have a screen shot of it?
goner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
pedro2112

Hi, i managed to change the language so now the is in english (thanks by the way ^^), but is it possible to have English audio with french subtitles ?
pedro2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Cymen90

Neither of those work for me.
Why is it that I had to fix every game that I bought in the last few months myself?
Cymen90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:26 AM   #6
iCharlie17

This should be patched ASAP with an ingame option or properties tab on the steam game...Can't believe I have to change .inis because you're so lazy (or you just want us to be mad) to allow us to change a language easy.

I'm very disappointed
iCharlie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:04 AM   #7
austerus

First method works but it resets when changing anything.

Second one doesn't work for me.

Wouldn't it be common sense to allow a persistent change via the launcher?
austerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
backstepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCharlie17 View Post
This should be patched ASAP with an ingame option or properties tab on the steam game...Can't believe I have to change .inis because you're so lazy (or you just want us to be mad) to allow us to change a language easy.

I'm very disappointed
The sad thing is this isn't new. Some developers just leave it that way. Still i would like to see valve telling them to include it before releasing such a title.

Should be part of the quality control before deceding to release a title.
backstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
pecpec

Quote:

Code:
default=Int
en=Int
;fr=Fra
;it=Ita
;de=Deu
;es=Esn
;es-MX=Esm
;pl=Pol
;ru=Rus
;pt=Por
- Save the file

I have found another way.
On the same file (Steam\SteamApps\common\batman2\BmGame\Config\Laun cher.ini), just above [Launcher.CultureMap], there is a list of commented lines that you can uncomment one to force the language of the game.
Uncomment (by removing the ';' at the beginning of the line) the the first of them, that is related to English (ForceUseCulture=en).
It should look like this:
Code:
; For testing localisation un-comment one of the lines below.
;
ForceUseCulture=en
;ForceUseCulture=fr
;ForceUseCulture=it
;ForceUseCulture=de
;ForceUseCulture=es
;ForceUseCulture=pl
;ForceUseCulture=ru

[Launcher.CultureMap]
pecpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
Lordchewi

Hi i have this problem but since i edited the .ini the game stops working just before launching i reinstalled it like 5 times but it still has the same error even if i dont change the .ini

Update: finished like 5th reinstall now i get an error report when the game stops working that says:

Failed to find shader map for default material DefaultMaterial! Please make sure cooking was successful and that your console is properly configured (e.g. Disc vs HDD Boot) and that the file serving directories are correct in Target Manager.

QA_APPROVED_BUILD_JANUARY_2011_387507 27-09-2011 18:18.21 (Wwise: 2011.1.0 #3886)Game

Address = 0x75e6d36f (filename not found)[in C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll]
Address = 0x472fb1 (filename not found) [in g:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\batman2\Binaries\Win3 2\BatmanAC.exe]
Address = ox4a321d (filename not found) [in g:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\batman2\Binaries\Win3 2\BatmanAC.exe]

I searched for this files and they and in the respective directories

Update 2: FIxed it checked in the forum and someone said i had to disable DX11 from the game and it worked

Last edited by Lordchewi: 12-29-2011 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Update
Lordchewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
rafcor

Since this was getting me very mad, at not really playing in English at all, I went to WB forum to search for some info as well, since the stick post and others didn't work to me, maybe I did something wron gor not, I don't know, but will tell what I did to make the game in English:

- Open UserEngine.ini AND bmengine.ini(\Users\xxxx\Documents\WB Games\Batman Arkham City\BmGame\Config) and change the

Language=

to what language you want as seen in the first post, if you want in English, as I did, change to:

Language=int

It's important to change both files, since one overwrite the other
rafcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #12
Madner Kami

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafcor View Post
Since this was getting me very mad, at not really playing in English at all, I went to WB forum to search for some info as well, since the stick post and others didn't work to me, maybe I did something wron gor not, I don't know, but will tell what I did to make the game in English:

- Open UserEngine.ini AND bmengine.ini(\Users\xxxx\Documents\WB Games\Batman Arkham City\BmGame\Config) and change the

Language=

to what language you want as seen in the first post, if you want in English, as I did, change to:

Language=int

It's important to change both files, since one overwrite the other
+1 Rep

That did it for me.
Madner Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
golbez

Por = Portuguese
golbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
naber31

Hear this; i changed the both files as @rafcor said but what did the trick for me was starting the game by following address;

C:\Program Files\Rocksteady\Batman Arkham City\Binaries\Win32 ---> BatmanAC.exe

Regards...
naber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
-GS-

Quote:

Code:
default=Int
en=Int
;fr=Fra
;it=Ita
;de=Deu
;es=Esn
;es-MX=Esm
;pl=Pol
;ru=Rus
;pt=Por
- Save the file

Worked for me. Kudos to you, my good sir.
-GS- is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City