Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Assassin's Creed series

Old 12-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
SuperNova MZ

Angry [ACR] "ACRSP.exe has stopped working"

So ever since yesterday, for some odd reason, the game keeps crashing and showing this message. Now I haven't had this problem before yesterday and it's getting really annoying and basically making the game pretty much unplayable.

It can happen from anywhere to 2 to 15 minutes of gameplay so I can't really make progress though missions most of the time.

Anyone else suffering from this or have a fix?
Old 12-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Griffin962

Same thing with me, but it happens right when i load up my save
Old 12-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
pyradius

I get it rarely, and even Microsoft implies the game is doing something unusual with the memory or something. I am running Vista 64-bit, although it is a much less frequent error for me. Maybe a couple times a day, sometimes when quitting the game, only occasionally during gameplay.
pyradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
b3NNy

Unhappy

I have the same issue when I quit Multiplayer ...
b3NNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Roodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNova MZ View Post
So ever since yesterday, for some odd reason, the game keeps crashing and showing this message. Now I haven't had this problem before yesterday and it's getting really annoying and basically making the game pretty much unplayable.

It can happen from anywhere to 2 to 15 minutes of gameplay so I can't really make progress though missions most of the time.

Anyone else suffering from this or have a fix?
Yep, my friend I have exactly the same issue. I played the game 'til almost the end of it and it was working perfectly. But when I got to 'The Exchange' memory the game simply started to have this 'acrsp.exe has stopped working' problem everytime. I tried a solution I saw at a site from a player with the same problem and used the compatibility mode as Windows XP SP3, it had an almost meaningless result, the game stopped crashing after 2 - 15 minutes, but the problem came back after like...45 minutes or so.
I've emailed Ubisoft with my problem and updated the message with this new finding about the compatibility, but I got no response yet.

Well, If anyone has an answer to us, I'm sure we both are going to appreciate it a lot, for real...

Last edited by Roodney: 01-02-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Roodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Khirsah01

Are all of you running PCs with Vista or 7?

Check your DEP settings (Data Execution Prevention), it's a defense module inside Vista and 7 that will prevent "malicious code" from running on your PC. Problem is, it blocks most of your legitimate programs and you have to set exceptions in your Control Panel to stop that BS from happening every bleepin time.

The main reason I've seen DEP step in is if a program all of a sudden uses up too much RAM and it'll pull the kill switch on the program. I've noticed no other reason tbh.

Only thing that tipped me off to the possibility of Vista/7 is Roodney mentioning Compatibility mode for Win XP.

Worth a shot to look into.

Edit: Some programs are not allowed to be set as exceptions, but you can still try adding the singleplayer executable to DEP exceptions and see if it takes.

Secondary Edit: Please post back if this tip works, I would like to know since I'll be playing ACR later once I finish the other games. I run Vista 32 bit but it will work on 32 or 64 bit Vista or 7.

Last edited by Khirsah01: 12-31-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Khirsah01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
Roodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khirsah01 View Post
Are all of you running PCs with Vista or 7?

Check your DEP settings (Data Execution Prevention), it's a defense module inside Vista and 7 that will prevent "malicious code" from running on your PC. Problem is, it blocks most of your legitimate programs and you have to set exceptions in your Control Panel to stop that BS from happening every bleepin time.

The main reason I've seen DEP step in is if a program all of a sudden uses up too much RAM and it'll pull the kill switch on the program. I've noticed no other reason tbh.

Only thing that tipped me off to the possibility of Vista/7 is Roodney mentioning Compatibility mode for Win XP.

Worth a shot to look into.

Edit: Some programs are not allowed to be set as exceptions, but you can still try adding the singleplayer executable to DEP exceptions and see if it takes.
You made an acurate guess, I'm using W7. I'll try this solution you gave and see if it works. I'll post the results as soon as I get them.

Edit: I use W7 64 bits.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Khirsah01

Thankee kindly~ Hope it works out for you.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
Roodney

Well, I have some bad news and some...well it's pretty much only the bad news. I tried adding an exception to DEP's list but it told me that file couldn't be added to the exceptions. So, I tried enabling my ADM acc, and tried to add the exception again, same thing happened. Then I tried using my prompt with ADM privileges to disable DEP (typing bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff on the prompt), tested the game and again the acrsp.exe problem appeared to greet me (I'm pretty sure it was lonely and just loved to see me again).

So, it's not that Khirsah01, unfortunately. But thanks, anyway.

Last edited by Roodney: 01-01-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
NeoMan5

This problem just started happening to me as well. I had been playing the game completely fine with not so much as a hiccup and now whenever I try to start up my save it crashes immediately. I tried hitting esc and restarting the memory I was on, but every time I get to the same spot it crashes. Dunno what to do and somewhat frustrating since I was on sequence 7 and do not feel like starting the game all over again.
NeoMan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
Roodney

Well, well, I have some REALLY good news this time. Ubisoft contacted me and I solved my problem simply by disabling the startup itens, I probably had some program creating some sort of conflict.

Here's the e-mail that they sent me with A LOT of solutions for everything that may cause these kind of problems, just in case the problem doesn't get solved to you as it was to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Hi ,

The type of problem you are having is usually resolved by updating your video card driver, and updating your Directx files. I've written details for doing this below, as well as other ideas to try if updating these files still doesn't solve your problem.

- Updating your video drivers:

Please visit your sound, video, and 3D card manufacturer's websites for the most recently available drivers for the components in your system.
Major video chipset manufacturers web sites:

http://www.nvidia.com - GeForce models
http://www.ati.com - Radeon models
http://www.s3graphics.com - All Savage model cards
http://www.matrox.com - G200/G400 models

Once you have downloaded and installed these drivers according to the manufacturer's suggestions then follow the next step:

- Updating your Directx:
Download and install the latest version of DirectX from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35. For more help with this, please search the FAQ for how to update drivers.

- Please check to see if there is a patch available for your game at http://www.ubi.com/US/Downloads/Category.aspx?dcId=63

Below I've written some other ideas for you to trouble-shoot and try if updating the video driver Directx was unsuccessful.

- Is your video card / 3D card supported for the game?
Check the minimum requirements of the game to see if your video card meets or exceeds the minimum video requirements for the game you are playing. Also, check our FAQ to see if it is listed among the supported video cards for the game you are playing. If your video card is not on the supported video cards list, you may have trouble playing the game.

If it is supported -
Get the latest reference driver available from the chipset manufacturer (ATI Radeon model chipsets at http://www.ati.com and Geforce model chipsets at http://www.nvidia.com)

If your video card is not a supported one -
You may want to consider upgrading your video card to a more capable and powerful 3D accelerator.

- Scan your system for viruses
Even if you normally use Norton or McAffee virus scanning software, visit http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ or http://www.freeav.com to get a free online virus scan.

- Try running the game from the executable
Instead of starting the game from the start menu or the Autorun menu, try running the game directly from the executable file in the game's installation directory.

- Close all programs running in the background

(Windows XP / Vista / 7)
Go to the Start menu, and (choose Run on Windows XP) type in the word MSCONFIG. Click on OK, and that will bring up a program called the System Configuration Utility.

Look down the list of startup items (not the tab labeled Startup), and choose Selective Startup (if it is not already selected). If you don't see this, make sure you've clicked on General, near the top of the window. Once you've chosen Selective Startup, uncheck only 'Load Startup Items', and leave everything else (Load system services) checked. Once you're done here, click OK, and let it reboot your computer.

Your Windows environment may look different and you may get an error relating to your sound device not working (ignore this for now). Try running the game again. If the game loads and seems to be working, the problem is most likely related to one or more programs you have scheduled to load with Windows. You can then revert the settings back the way they were, and in a trial and error fashion, disable some programs using the startup tab (in the msconfig utility) to try to find the culprit.

(Windows 95, 98, ME)
1. Reboot the PC
2. Once you are back to Windows, press ctrl-alt-del.
3. From the "Close Program" window that opens, the only two items that should appear in this list are Explorer and Systray.
4. To temporarily disable all other programs, highlight the first item in the list and click end task.
5. Continue this process until you have closed all programs except Explorer and Systray.
6. Start the game again.

- Run Scandisk (Windows 98/XP)
1. Click Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools
2. Select Scandisk
3. Select your hard drive. If you have more than one, you should scan each drive individually.
4. Click Standard
5. Check Automatically fix errors.
6. Click Start

- Run Defrag (Windows 98/XP/Vista)
1. Click Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools
2. Select Disk Defragmenter
3. Select the hard drive you wish to defrag and click ok.

- Remove files from the temp directory
1. Reboot the PC
2. Once back in Windows, Right-click My Computer
3. Left-click Explore
4. From the right pane of Windows Explorer, double click C:\
5. Double-click the Windows Folder, then find and double click the TEMP folder.
6. Remove all files from this folder.
7. Restart the Computer
8. Empty the Recycle bin and run the installation again.

- Uninstall and reinstall the game?
1. Uninstall the game by clicking uninstall from the Start menu, the Autorun menu, or from Windows Add/Remove programs.
2. Explore your hard drive for the game's installation folder
3. Delete this folder, then empty your recycle bin
4. Reinstall the game, then install any patches available.

Please go through these suggestions as they very frequently solve these types of issues. If you continue to have problems, then feel free to reply and we'll try other ways to fix your problem. Thanks.

Last edited by Roodney: 01-02-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
Khirsah01

Excellent that you got it fixed up Roodney~

I just can't help but lol at the tips for OS's back to what is he mentioning? Windows 95? HAHAHAHA! What a blast from the past~

That just made my day xD
Old 01-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
Roodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khirsah01 View Post
Excellent that you got it fixed up Roodney~

I just can't help but lol at the tips for OS's back to what is he mentioning? Windows 95? HAHAHAHA! What a blast from the past~

That just made my day xD
kkkkkkk
That was really excessively comprehensive for a game of 2011. I didn't even know that it was possible to play this game at that pre-historic OS, but he's the support's guy, not me. XD
Old 01-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
Khirsah01

Shhhh, it's not considered compatible. I can't remember how long support's been cut for Win 95. 8-10 years at least? XP had just exploded onto the market with the fancy GUI.

It looks more like the copy/paste support thing that's sent out a lot of times, that's probably why it had the ancient OS's on there. Win 95 doesn't have native support for the HD sizes we have now, or the high end CPUs and RAM. Poor thing would die in insanity unless someone was to custom code it I'd think.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
Roodney

Why, why, the problem fooled me. It didn't go away. The "solution" I posted here did increase the playing time before a crash, but it is still happening after a while (about 25 mins or so)... I sent another update to Ubisoft and stated that I really don't think my PC is the problem, but I'll do what they ask me to do. Let's see how it goes.

Last edited by Roodney: 01-03-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Assassin's Creed series