Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Hegemony Gold

Old 04-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
mriguy

Gold was released Feb 22 - Why is it still not on Steam?

Yes, I know we can buy the upgrade through Longbow Games but I would rather prefer to pay by simply using my Steam account.

Besides I would like the package to utilized Steam's automatic update feature.

When is Gold going to be on Steam?
It is already available on Impulse.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
gjork

Banned
From what I gather you upgrade the Steam version to the Gold version for $9.99 at the developers site.

http://www.longbowgames.com/hegemony/buy/
gjork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
mriguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjork View Post
From what I gather you upgrade the Steam version to the Gold version for $9.99 at the developers site.
How is this not in violation of Steam's 'exclusive' rules that removed certain EA games? It seems like the developer is using Steam to push what is essentially a introductory copy and requiring you to purchase the more complete version through the site. I realize that there are a lot of grey areas in my statement but it seems unfair that other DD sites have the gold version but Steam users are forced to go outside of Steam. I get the impression that Longbow Games are purposely doing this in order to encourage Steam users to buy outside the platform in order to make more money on the sale.
mriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
facepoppies

So if I don't have any copy (just read about it in PC Gamer!) and I buy gold from the site, do I get to redeem it on Steam?
facepoppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #5
Ducon

Quote:
Originally Posted by facepoppies View Post
So if I don't have any copy (just read about it in PC Gamer!) and I buy gold from the site, do I get to redeem it on Steam?
Only add as non-Steam game
Ducon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
mriguy

Longbow Games simply wants to get a few extra dollars by avoiding Steam fees and forcing people to upgrade through their site. If you are going to treat Steam buyers in this fashion don't even put the original on Steam.

It is also interesting how the artwork submitted to Steam makes it look like you are getting the gold version.

Last edited by mriguy: 10-31-2011 at 11:53 AM.
mriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Berrex

You know, Valve is known to reject applications to put games on Steam, especially from smaller developers. This was the case for yesterday's daily deal, Depths of Peril, in which the developers submitted an application for another one of their games, Din's Curse, to be added to Steam's catalog, but it was rejected without explanation (post #19 and on).

I would imagine that, in all likelihood, this is the same thing that happened to Longbow Games for the Gold version of Hegemony. That would be far more logical, after all. A small-time developer like Longbow is going to receive a lot more attention for their games on a platform like Steam, so it doesn't make sense to have the vanilla version here, and not the Gold, especially if most Steam buyers aren't going to be aware of its existence unless they visit the forums. Besides, why would they deliberately make upgrading to Gold a hassle for their customers when they're a small, relatively unknown developer? They can use all the sales they can get, so they might as well make it as convenient as possible to make the upgrade.

Something tells me this has more to do with decisions made by Valve/Steam than it does with Longbow Games.
Berrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
abadnewsbear

Would be nice to find out what's going on here -- not going to buy gold from longbow directly
abadnewsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
rogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadnewsbear View Post
Would be nice to find out what's going on here -- not going to buy gold from longbow directly
Berrex just told you! There's a large number of Developer's on Steam that I've seen with a similar scenario.

Just because Steam doesn't have it. Doesn't mean the devs didn't try and get it up there.

Besides...they had discounted it themselves too. I picked up vanilla off Steam, then Gold off their site for $14.30 dollars.

Still a great deal for what seems like a good game. (Only played for about 45 minutes now.)
rogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
Kaihekoa

Whoever's fault it is, it's BS that they don't offer the upgrade on Steam. The dev should at least make a post explaining why it's not available via Steam.
Kaihekoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
Berrex

Personally, it isn't a big deal for me in this case as it normally would be, but that's mostly because the upgrade means you get a full copy of the game without any DRM whatsoever (that includes Steam).

It is a bummer that it's not in Steam's catalog since it makes upgrading and patching less convenient, and an official explanation would be nice, but at least I got to download the installer, burn it to a disc for my own personal safe keeping (in addition to unlimited downloads from the developer's site), and have the game - and nothing else - installed on my computer. I can understand the frustration, but in my opinion, it's nothing to be up in arms over.
Berrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
malmute

Banned
It's best to buy it from Gamersgate if you really want the Gold version. I got it at GG when it was on sale some months ago. I've seen it on sale there a couple of times now.
malmute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
michaelar

It will be on Steam fairly soon. Longbow mentioned it on their web site, and Hegemony Gold is listed in the Steam registry. So it's coming.
michaelar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Hegemony Gold