Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > PlayFirst

Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #31
HornetOne85

Same here. Was about to buy it, and I thought I should check the forum first. Thanks
HornetOne85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #32
EJT

I bought it on the daily deal and like it well enough. It is a very simple (and old) chessmaster game, but the interface is nice and simple. It runs fine in full screen (although there are no video options). If you just want to play a quick game against an AI monkey or introduce your kids to chess, this isn't that bad. Serious chess players won't be impressed with its limited features.

I also have the Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition that used to be sold on Steam, and although that has a million more features, its interface is horrible and it doesn't run in full screen on my desktop nor my laptop (also has no video options).
EJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #33
winter2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT View Post
I bought it on the daily deal and like it well enough. It is a very simple (and old) chessmaster game, but the interface is nice and simple. It runs fine in full screen (although there are no video options). If you just want to play a quick game against an AI monkey or introduce your kids to chess, this isn't that bad. Serious chess players won't be impressed with its limited features.

I also have the Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition that used to be sold on Steam, and although that has a million more features, its interface is horrible and it doesn't run in full screen on my desktop nor my laptop (also has no video options).
Are you able to currently run it? I just tried to run it and it seems to load up just fine, but after I make a move the computer just sits there doing nothing. The timer is not going. Nothing is happening at all.

And I seem to remember as soon as I moved my piece the computer would just take over and do its thing. Am I remembering incorrectly?
winter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #34
parliament

Why would anyone even consider paying for a chess game? There are tons of free chess engines (gnuchess, crafty, pychess...) and tons of slick frontends to play in.
parliament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #35
Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by parliament View Post
Why would anyone even consider paying for a chess game? There are tons of free chess engines (gnuchess, crafty, pychess...) and tons of slick frontends to play in.
ChessBase products: for the databases and database functionality
ChessMaster: Better get the 9000 from GOG if you want one. That one for the lessons included, for example by John Nunn and Josh Waitzkin.
And for actually playing chess, one should use the FICS with the BabasChess frontend.
Protoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #36
Goteki-45

I'm glad I got Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition before it apparently vanished from Steam. When I saw this one come up for the daily sale I wondered if it was a sequel/spinoff, but apparently it's not as feature-rich, so I can easily skip it.

It sort of sucks for anyone who didn't pick up Grandmaster Edition while it was available on Steam, however. I wonder why Ubisoft decided to remove it. <_<
Goteki-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #37
KSMF

If you want a good chess program, go for Deep Fritz and you will get the best in it's class IMHO.
KSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #38
Chrissd21

So, the only version of Chessmaster that Steam sells is a stripped down version of 10? Which appears to be built for mobile. :S Pity 8000/9000 CD version doesn't run on Vista. ;_;

Time to GoG it up I suppose. Anyone know why Steam removed Chessmaster 10? There's always someone who wants to play chess.

[QUOTE=shadowborn;25685477]Wish I had read this before buying this game, even as the daily offer at three euros this is not worth it./QUOTE]

3 Euro's? lol. Aussies pay more than the USA, and it seems you pay more than both of us. :P 3.40USD in Aus atm with the daily deal
Chrissd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #39
BaSeBallDuDeR

Ah thats the name of it, I want Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition back!!!
BaSeBallDuDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #40
EJT

Quote:
Are you able to currently run it? I just tried to run it and it seems to load up just fine, but after I make a move the computer just sits there doing nothing. The timer is not going. Nothing is happening at all.

And I seem to remember as soon as I moved my piece the computer would just take over and do its thing. Am I remembering incorrectly?
I was able to play. All I did was a quick game against the monkey on my desktop and laptop just to test it out and there was no problems.
EJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #41
winter2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT View Post
I was able to play. All I did was a quick game against the monkey on my desktop and laptop just to test it out and there was no problems.
ok.. thanks. I guess I'll try to reinstall and see what happens.
winter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #42
Fakez

I can't believe I bought this game, I thought it would be like the old Chessmaster games, but it's nothing like that... =[

We need a good chess game on Steam, like the ones from Ubisoft.
Fakez is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > PlayFirst