Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Hinterland

Old 12-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #16
NanostrikeX

I like it a lot. Very addictive. But it needs a tutorial, a way to zoom out, and some tweaks to make text more readable and icons bigger.
NanostrikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #17
kbe2k9

I found it fun and that was just playing the demo; thinking about grabbing it on sale.
kbe2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #18
CannibalBob

The $6.49 sale right now is pretty good. Hinterland is a very unique game and there's nothing like it in existence right now. Since it's an indie game, don't expect outstanding graphics or a flawless game here, but expect an interesting and new experience.

On the flipside, Hinterland used to get an update every month or two. This has stopped after it got picked up by a publisher and released in a boxed version. The last update added the Shaman class, which was a nice surprise but didn't add a whole lot to the game. I hope Tilted Mill releases another update in the future.
CannibalBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:23 AM   #19
NanostrikeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalBob View Post
The $6.49 sale right now is pretty good. Hinterland is a very unique game and there's nothing like it in existence right now. Since it's an indie game, don't expect outstanding graphics or a flawless game here, but expect an interesting and new experience.

On the flipside, Hinterland used to get an update every month or two. This has stopped after it got picked up by a publisher and released in a boxed version. The last update added the Shaman class, which was a nice surprise but didn't add a whole lot to the game. I hope Tilted Mill releases another update in the future.
I think it will. Holidays have a nasty habit of interfering with updates...
NanostrikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #20
Gvaz

I think i'll wait till this game is $5 as well. That's what it looks like from the images
Gvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #21
Oip_1109

This game is bad, I support the people negatively commenting.
It's made in ing Torque. Wouldn't be surprised it they were chinese and didn't own a license. Yes I'm implying that the chinese don't buy licenses, as if I know anything.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #22
Ardbug

I definitely got my moneys worth from this game.
Ardbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #23
kungasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalBob View Post
Since it's an indie game, don't expect outstanding graphics or a flawless game here,
That's the problem, most people expect a developer to devote an entire office/department when making a game, when in all honesty, there have been several indie games that I've played that were better than Halo 3 or Dragon Age or whatever the newest standard is .

A very good example of an indie/freeware game is Dwarf Fortress, which i dont expect TC to know about, given its indie status and all, though I doubt that he would even bother with it, given that there's no tutorial, the help section is a bit confusing, and the game will confuse the **** out of you at first, but once you know what you're doing and how to do it, the game is immensely fun and entertaining.
kungasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #24
Kaihekoa

After playing a patched version of this game I have to agree that it isn't worth the $10 it is now or the $20 it sold for at release. It's not terrible, but I probably wouldn't have played it if I didn't have a laptop with a low-end GPU.

The interface gets the job done, but some minor refinements such as the positioning and size of the interface elements and map (which covers a third of the free space on the screen) would have greatly improved it. Loading times are also painfully slow, and no matter what resolution or graphics options I have selected running across the map seems to cause stuttering.

The progression systems of building up a town and your character/party are appealing. However, the mechanics of the entire game are all very simple. This creates a lack of depth which compounded with the lack of content (only beating a map with a different difficulty/class) leaves high score chasing as the only re-playability option.

Considering the other quality indie and older games from big publishers at the $10 price-point I can only recommend Hinterland if it's on sale for a couple dollars or you are looking for a shallow RPG suitable for a laptop with a low-end GPU.
Kaihekoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:32 AM   #25
Zingrad

It's a fairly mediocre game. I wish there was some more depth to the characters, like even a small skill progression tree for Warrior / Mage. To me the foundation of the game just begs for deeper design instead of being left as something light and arcadey.
Zingrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #26
bushwhacker2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingrad View Post
It's a fairly mediocre game.
This sums it up. It has an interesting system of building a town and managing the people in it but ultimately everything is really simplistic and not that in-depth.

I have no idea why there's any argument about this game. It doesn't SUCK, but it's not that great either.
bushwhacker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #27
City Builder

I found it hard to believe that it was the same company that made Hinterland as made Children of the Nile.

I don't know what their current situation is, but it would be nice to see a Children of the Nile 2, or take their CotN game and use it with a different culture to get a fresh feel out of the game.
City Builder is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Hinterland