Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The

Old 12-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
Mauhur

Net Framework and 0xc0000142 error, this is ridiculous

I launched Witcher 2 for the first time in a month today and it updated to 2.1 and did the net framework install. Clicking launch game results in the 0xc0000142 stonewall, over and over. Tried verifying the game files, Steam reinstalled some stuff, same problem. What it the solution for this issue? Please, no redirects to the witcher forum, all I get when I try to go there is a SQL error. Running as administrator does nothing, I don't have Kaspersky or that Livid thing...deleting that install file is fruitless since it respawns every launch...what is the fix?
Old 12-19-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
Bethuny

Sorry, but I'm going to do a little redirect, as cut-and-paste doesn't seem to include the links.

I just posted this in another thread. It includes the full text of the official dev team response.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2300563
Bethuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
RogaineRenegade

I was having the same problem and was about to go nuts. Turns out on my system it was Lucid Virtu causing all the problems.
RogaineRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
DJAwkwardSilenc

I've been to a dozen forum postings, carefully followed instruction after instruction and nothing has worked for me. I've contacted Steam customer support, but they've been no help either. Can anyone help?

None of the programs that have been interfering for people (adobe, certain internet security programs, Lucid Virtu) are on my computer but I still get error 0xc0000142 every time I try to start the game. This is REALLY preposterous.

Here's my specs if it helps:

Windows 7
Intel Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz 2.66 GHz
64 Bit

The only thing I can think of that might be throwing it off is that I'm running off of Bootcamp (I have Windows installed on my Mac). However, I've played 2 dozen other games on my computer and never had any issues with it, so I sincerely doubt that's the issue at hand.

I've tried "running as admin" and doing a clean boot (both recommended on the Witcher 2 forums) and neither produced any results. As the topic line says, this is RIDICULOUS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DJAwkwardSilenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
SamukaWoosh

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index...tch-21-issues/

This above is the official announcement on it seems.

My problem was Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended, renamed said dll and it worked.
SamukaWoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Bethuny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAwkwardSilenc View Post
I've been to a dozen forum postings, carefully followed instruction after instruction and nothing has worked for me. I've contacted Steam customer support, but they've been no help either. Can anyone help?
I suggest you go over and ask at the main forums if you've tried everything that's already been posted. This isn't specifically a Steam-related issue, and there seem to be more people over there looking into it.
Bethuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
SamukaWoosh

No links to witcher forum? sorry I missed that part.
All I can do is CTRL+V it for you, I hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinthir, CD Projekt RED
In the patch 2.1 Microsoft's .NET Framework 4 became necessary to run The Witcher 2, which fixed several problems with game to server communication. The errors which might occur when launching the game most often result from a conflict between .NET Framework 4 and dynamic libraries (dll) of other applications.

In case of problems with the game post 2.1, notably errors like "application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)" and similar, please follow these instructions:
1. Fully uninstall .NET Framework 4 Extended and NET Framework 4 Client Profile.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Download and install .NET Framework 4.
4. Restart the computer, set the settings in Launcher Options and try to run the game.

Keeping your Windows fully updated is advisable. Additionally, for potentially broken .NET Framework installations Microsoft recommends .NET Framework Cleanup Tool to be found in .NET Installation Help tab HERE.

There are several known instances of external applications that conflict with .NET Framework 4 in this context:
1. Acaptuser32.dll, which is a part of 3d Capture plugin for Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 Extended. Acaptuser32.dll can be found in c:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\ and/or c:\WINDOWS\System32\.
2. The 32-bit version of appinit_dll.dll, which is a part of Lucidlogix Virtu, GPU virtualization software which comes with some motherboards like e.g. ASRock Z68. Appinit_dll.dll can be found in (...)Lucidlogix Technologies\VIRTU\x86\ folder.
3. Kaspersky Internet Security 2011. Upgrading to 2012 version is known to fix the problem.

Finally, starting the game after performing a clean boot on your computer might help in determining whether an external application prevents The Witcher 2 from launching correctly. See how to perform: a clean boot in Windows XP, a clean boot in Windows Vista/Windows 7.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
DJAwkwardSilenc

Unfortunately I don't have Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended so that's not my issue.

Their mods say they are working on it on those forums, but that's been true for about 3 weeks now. I had seen that official posting there before, I thank you for reposting it, but unfortunately I've tried everything on their list. I'll go pester them some more and hopefully this will work sometime in the near future. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
lynxxyarly

For what it's worth...I uninstalled lucid virtu and the game worked for me.

Reinstalled it - game gave the same famous error. Lame. It is what it is, though.
lynxxyarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #10
DJAwkwardSilenc

I'm wondering if maybe there is some other program that does the equivalent of Kaspsersky, Adobe, or Lucid Virtu that I might have instead (since I have none of these programs). Anyone have any insight into this? I'm going nuts over here >_<
Old 12-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
SamukaWoosh

One way to find out is to run 'msconfig' in start menu, and select diagnostic startup, or deactivate every single startup item and service, reboot and try to run the game.

If it works, start enabling stuff until you figure out which one is messing with the game...
Old 12-23-2011, 04:14 AM   #12
ramponiere

Same problem here, the game doesn't start.
And sadly i don't have Lucidlogix, Kasprersky or the adobe's dll.
I had yet reinstalled Netframework 4.0, and it didn't changed anything.
Do you know some other fix?
Or at least a way to reinstall the previous patch?
ramponiere is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The