Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Doom Rails

Old 11-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
Sybuur

Thumbs down This game contains hidden DRM that isn't posted on the Store Page as of 2010/11/01

To all who are interested and happen to have come to the forums before you purchase the game.

Per the thread "Updated Via Steam - Now has VIRUS!", "programmer_tom" says "Hi there.

When we updated Doom Rails and added better and adjustable controls, we also added some anti-piracy protection so people couldn't copy and steal the game. We used a program called Themida to 'secure' the .exe. Unfortunately, some anti virus software sees this as a threat for some reason.

I assure you there's no virus. Sorry about the confusion.

-Tom DiCesare, lead programmer for Doom Rails".

So what does this mean to you? If you scour the Store page looking for added DRM like I do you won't find it. When you go to launch the game will you see a window that asks you for the CD Key and lets you know you are allowed 4 other installs. Additionally I got a EULA that mentions Supreme Commander 2 during the install of Doom Rails. I thought it was odd but I still clicked on.

Personally I'm asking for my money back. I didn't try the game long enough to form an opinion of the game.

Sybuur
Old 11-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Amander

Why getting the money back? 5 installs is still quite alot.
I just emailed the developers and they answered within a quarter hour so removing previous activations isn't a problem. And if your AV scanner falsely detects a virus, you should change your AV, not the game.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Sybuur

Because I'm against DRM. Because the Store page didn't mention it; which makes me feel like they lied to me. And because Steam is as far as I want to allow DRM to affect me.

But more realistically I purchased this game on a machine I'm about to rebuild. Plus I've got a total of 4 computers I have at home where I install Steam. And I play where I can depening on who is using the computers. So on day 1 I'd be down to 1 extra license if I installed it on all the machines. And as soon as I rebuild my first machine I'm down to 0 spare licenses. Now add that sometimes I show my friends what the game is link on their home PCs but with this game I could not do that and it isn't a very good selling point for a multi-player game when you cannot see it.

Sybuur
Sybuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:28 AM   #4
Amander

Send the developers an e-mail. It doesn't hurt, especially does it hurt way less than sitting on your one remaining activation and be sad.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
Sybuur

It is an option but like I said, I don't support games that go above and beyond the Steam DRM. Especially when I feel lied to when the DRM is not mentioned on the Store Page. Also I shouldn't have to talk to the developers and ask them for a way around their software. If they buy into Steam then use it the way it attracts customers. Otherwise they might was well stay off of it.

I don't plan on being sad. I plan on getting my $ back. I'm going to have to go through and upgrade all of my machine to new Windows OSes and that is going to eat every "extra" DRM license I may have. 4 computers on Windows XP ='s 8 licenses needed when new Windows OS is installed. Plain and simple it doesn't work for me.

Interestingly enough Steam Support has not yet responded to my https://support.steampowered.com/vie...5507-ROLC-5550 on Mon, 1st Nov 2010 10:29 pm about returning the game.

Sybuur
Old 11-04-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
Amander

That might be a difference between us. While you just "don't support games that...", I see if it is really a problem first. It's not, then why care? Dude, the game developers answered my email within an hour or less. Why don't you just write them instead of writing the Steam support which is known for taking long?
Old 11-05-2010, 02:04 AM   #7
Sybuur

I like things to work today and tomorrow. I enjoy a simpler lifestyle where I don't have to jump through hoops (meaning e-mail developers and hope they'll grant me extra licenses of hope they have the ability to do so) just to make products work. I like knowing what I get into. It is fair for both parties involved. As a customer my only real power is to make my financial voice heard.

My real complaint is that the DRM isn't mentioned on the Store Page. If it was I'd know what I was getting into or stay away from it.

You enjoy your way and I will enjoy mine. Considering I have 177 games in my list (and some have DRM but those taught me my lessons) I've been around the block.

I'm almost done with my return but Steam Support is offering a trade instead. Not sure how this is going to play out because they've never offered me a trade before. Other than that I've been down the return road before and it really seems Steam does not like to return money or if they will they'll return your entire transaction and not just the one bad item. You get put into a situation where you have to decide if the other deals are more important than the one bad game. I really wish Steam operated like any other store on this planet. This the result has taught me to purchase one game per transaction so I don't have to go through those decisions anymore.

Sybuur
Old 11-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #8
fiutare

oh well, I purchased the game today and was asked of an Licence-key. Strange enough, since I bought and installed a full version and payed full price, and there was no Licence-Key coming per mail or whatsoever.

I figured out by myself, reading the forum, found the information hidden in the program, but the file was called "licence.key" , and .key files is a part of my anti-virus program and I wasn't able to open it

I had to rename it to "licence.txt" to finally read the number.

Oh my dear. Not very custom-friendly, isn't it?
Old 11-10-2010, 06:28 AM   #9
Amander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiutare View Post
oh well, I purchased the game today and was asked of an Licence-key. Strange enough, since I bought and installed a full version and payed full price, and there was no Licence-Key coming per mail or whatsoever.

I figured out by myself, reading the forum, found the information hidden in the program, but the file was called "licence.key" , and .key files is a part of my anti-virus program and I wasn't able to open it

I had to rename it to "licence.txt" to finally read the number.

Oh my dear. Not very custom-friendly, isn't it?
Why so complicated? Just click the "CD key" link in the game library and you're fine. I wonder why people prefer digging in the game folder to just using the Steam feature. No really, why not just going the easy way? And this is not the only game with a CD key, by the way. I had some of them and for some, I even had to enter the CD key. Guess what, each time the CD key is given by Steam the way I just described.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #10
fiutare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amander View Post
Why so complicated? Just click the "CD key" link in the game library and you're fine. I wonder why people prefer digging in the game folder to just using the Steam feature. No really, why not just going the easy way? And this is not the only game with a CD key, by the way. I had some of them and for some, I even had to enter the CD key. Guess what, each time the CD key is given by Steam the way I just described.
Ok then. This is my 7th game so far, I purchased from STEAM, and it is the first time I was asked of a "Game Key". I didn't notice the CD-Key Link in my game library so far, neither to look at it. It's the only game with this. Thanks anyway.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
FatalFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybuur View Post
Because I'm against DRM. Because the Store page didn't mention it; which makes me feel like they lied to me. And because Steam is as far as I want to allow DRM to affect me.

But more realistically I purchased this game on a machine I'm about to rebuild. Plus I've got a total of 4 computers I have at home where I install Steam. And I play where I can depening on who is using the computers. So on day 1 I'd be down to 1 extra license if I installed it on all the machines. And as soon as I rebuild my first machine I'm down to 0 spare licenses. Now add that sometimes I show my friends what the game is link on their home PCs but with this game I could not do that and it isn't a very good selling point for a multi-player game when you cannot see it.

Sybuur
Hi Sybuur,

Please send me an email with your specific issues, and we will see what we can do for you.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
Sybuur

FatalFX,

I returned the game due to false advertising. If you are a dev, I'd recommend that you update the Store Page. I pressured Steam Support to contact the devs but I see nothing came of it.

Sybuur

Last edited by Sybuur: 05-20-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
Totalitator

Glad I checked here. I've had this in my wish list for a long time and now it's only $1.25 during the holiday sale, but if it has some screwed up DRM then no thanks. Steam is enough DRM for me as a customer to deal with. Slow load times of games, sometimes I can't even play a game for a while because of Steam server issues. Now you want to add another layer on top of Steam because you're scared of hackers? If hackers want your game they will get it and there's really nothing you can do about it. Activation limits are cruel and I think fairly fraudulent since they force legitimate customers to have to re-buy a game just because they had too many hard drive failures or upgraded their video card a few times. It's total BS. I'm not going to buy something that's going to be snatched away from me because some key server goes out of business or it refuses to activate, adding insult to injury after a Windows crash that requires a re-install. Honestly the extra layer of encryption or whatever it is I wouldn't care about if I didn't notice but on top of that to have activation limits.. Forget it. Not even for a dollar.
Totalitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
cruelstroke

Thanks for this thread. DRM = no buy, goodbye.
cruelstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
Point Man

Big ing FAIL. The only reason people put up with DRM is because they really really want a game. Usually AAA. When a small unheard of game like this ADDS DRM POST LAUNCH, well you can forget about it.
Point Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Doom Rails