Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Silent Hill: Homecoming

Old 12-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Twin

Worth buying?

its $10 right now (steam winter sale daily deal) and i've always liked Silent Hill. The only thing keeping me from making the jump is all the negative things i've heard about the PC version.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
blackforce

so why buy it now?
blackforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Foey

How are they still trying to sell a three-year old, terribly reviewed game for $10? This should be $2.50 max.
Foey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Earthworm James

it's 5 euros here.

I liked SH, SH2, SH3 and SH4 when I played 'em many years ago on PSX and PC... haven't played any of the recent SH games, is this one worth buying?
Earthworm James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
HanFred

If you really liked all of them... probably. But it's not a good Silent Hill game IMO.
HanFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
mruuh

What if I have never even seen any of Silent Hill games? Is this one worth playing at all, regarding enjoying the plot (and the game itself)?
mruuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
amp5566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm James View Post
it's 5 euros here.

I liked SH, SH2, SH3 and SH4 when I played 'em many years ago on PSX and PC... haven't played any of the recent SH games, is this one worth buying?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin View Post
its $10 right now (steam winter sale daily deal) and i've always liked Silent Hill. The only thing keeping me from making the jump is all the negative things i've heard about the PC version.
This game sucks.
amp5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
AmphibiousKitty

As I've said in all the other threads about this, this game is plagued by a whole bunch of issues ranging from fps to sound quality. It's a horrible port and if you are so hell bent on getting the game, then you are better off getting it for consoles.

From a game standpoint, it's an ok game albeit pretty easy. Your character is a soldier returning from war, so he has combat skills like no other protagonist in the Silent Hill franchise really. This makes the game real easy in terms of combat and with some practice you can easily get through the game without taking a hit, or at least not taking more than 1 or 2. As it stands as a Silent Hill game, there really isn't much to make it one. The scares are almost non existent(I was only scared once and it was a jump scare) and the easy combat doesn't fit in with the franchise.

Either way I'd say it's worth no more than 10 dollars, it was fun while it lasted(about 6-8 hours for me I believe.)
AmphibiousKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Void(null)

bugged... never patched... broken port... screw Konami
Void(null) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Nickq2007

From a content standpoint the game is amazing. It has an amazing story with excellent voice acting and art direction to back it all up. It's one of my favorite games.

On the the tech side, the game is unoptimized and make take a little bit of tweaking to get running how you would like. If you have decent hardware and are willing to go through a tiny hassle to experience the game, it is definitely worth it.
Nickq2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
Dead-Boy

I wouldn't buy it... as a one time big silent hill fan this game is total junk.
Because of this game I no longer buy anything with the brand name "Konami".

Too many issues, bugs, and other problems that it makes this game more annoying then its worth.

If you are going to buy it... yes I agree with Foey and get it for no more then 3 bucks or get it for a console as this game is a really bad console port.

There is a reason why they don't sell this game on the PC in the US... it was only released for steam (most likely because of all the technical problems) although it is available for the consoles.

To give you an example why you shouldn't get this game... you can't change the key bindings because it will make the game unplayable... (at least for me... until I went into it and spent an hour or two looking at the command lines and manually inputting it) because for some reason the programmers made it try to reload the original file instead of loading or reloading the new file...

When I went to Konami to get help with getting the sounds to work... tech and customer support basically told me too bad... then threw 2 5-year or more years old games so that I would go away (for the xbox that I don't even use anymore).

Their customer service and tech support really dropped the ball with me so I decided not to buy anymore of their products.
Dead-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
DaneO'Roo

Game is perfectly fine. There's an enb patch here that fixes the issues with the game, and also makes it look better.

I don't know why the game gets so much hate as a silent hill game.

What people said about 2,3:
Story great,Combats bad, make better

Enter homecoming having better combat mechanics.

What people said about Homecoming: Combats too good, needs more scary and defenslessness

Enter SH: Origins, having no combat and more focus on evading, terror, suspense.

What people said about Origins: Too much defenselessness, needs better combat.

Silent Hill fans are just jaded with japanese fanaticism or something.

I played homecoming before I really settled into Silent Hill 2 and 3, previously only playing 1, and I fail to see a problem with the game.

Sure it's atmosphere isn't quite the same, but it's not going to be. The main character (not to spoil anything) has misplaced beliefs about himself, and the game is themed around that.

The only thing I could possibly nitpick the game over is the needless and almost shameless use of pyramid head and the nurses which makes no sense other than fan cuddling. I entirely chalk this up to just "people wanna see pyramid head in HD".

Games good, plays and feels better than all the other games, story is fine for what it is. Music is fantastic as always.

For 8 dollars? 'n get it.

That being said, I've played this game on 4 diffent computers without any issue what so ever using the enb patch. If anyone gets issues with this game, they're doing it wrong and should stop doing whatever it is they do to their PC's.
DaneO'Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
melathor

Cool Go for it

I say just go for it, yeah there's a lot of gripe about it, but get it and play it and form your own opinion. In the end you will either like it or hate it, but at least you can say well it was only 10 bucks and you played it.
melathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
Ruges

6-8 hour game? Ok waiting for the $6-8 range.
Ruges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #15
techstormster

Lightbulb This game was ...

I LOVED silent Hill 1. I accidentally bought this back in 99. Was a great game. Made a huge impression that will last the rest of my life.

I LOVED silent Hill 2. I bought this game on it's release date. Fell in love with the first "zombie" scene. Altho Every time I've played it since the Gamma has been off or something. The first I played it I could just see an outline of what might be a person or a pile of garbage just slowly stand up. AWESOME But since on different television's The outline was much more noticeable as a person.

I LOVED silent Hill 3. The game was much more fun to play than the previous two but still had excellent writing and they wrote a line for heather I had been hoping for. That she was in fact the monster slaughtering the innocent.

I was ok with silent Hill 4's existence. I imported it months ahead of time from japan and got a swap disk for my ps2. The graphics were amazing at the time. But was so radically different and I hated the candle mechanics to the point I didn't finish it.

I really don't like origin. It doesn't feel like the first 3 at all. I could really tell the original team had nothing to do with this. And in fact had been taken over by an American team that put no thought into it at all.

I'm neutral with homecoming. I had some fun playing it on ps3. But it's not the first 3 at all. But so much better than origin.

Shattered Memories is hands down the worst silent hill game ever made. It starts out great with the psychologist and VCR tape oh and the flash light on the wii. But once the "monsters" start coming out and I realized there is no combat, it's a high school drama and the monsters were naked pink people. I stormed back to Game Slop and they only offered me $8 to my $50 I just payed for it less than a week before. Said screw that and eventually sold it to someone for $25.

I still own the first 4 and I have since sold the rest. I finished the first 3, got seemingly far in 4 and 5 but didn't finish either one. I played origin and shattered memories long enough to see where they were headed and said screw that.

So to answer the original question. I really don't think so. There is just so many newer and better games out there now. Other than that genre, if it's survival horror your after and you looking for something a little newer than a game for ps2. Then perhaps this is indeed worth it. Survival horror is getting pretty rare these days.
techstormster is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Silent Hill: Homecoming