Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oddworld series

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
RWLewis2nd

Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee non-Steam Version Runs Fine - Steam Version Does Not

Like a few others posting here, my Steam installed Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee has never worked correctly. It has displayed the same behavior many have reported here in the forum: Somewhat slow load times, videos and cut scenes correctly displaying, and then when reaching the actual game (Raisins Cave), having an unplayable 4 to 9 fps framerate. I tried literally everything posted here in the forum to fix the problem without any success - processor affinity, disabling desktop theme, nVidia Control Panel settings, disabling the Steam overlay, running in lower resolution, reinstallation of DirectX, deletion/reinstallation of the game in Steam, file verification, and more that I can't recall.

Recently, I purchased this Indie bundle for my sons and myself which also has Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee (non-Steam) as one of the included games : http://www.getgamesgo.com/little-big-bunch (Link posted just in case anyone wants to buy the pack, $1.50 minimum)

01-06-2012 Edit: This Indie bundle sale referenced above has now ended, and you will not be able to get the game here any longer.

My son installed the non-Steam Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee from the bundle, and it worked flawlessly. Wondering if it would work for me too, I also installed it. Lo and behold, the game ran flawlessly on my computer too, without changing any settings. (I have a dedicated "D" Steam drive and installed this copy on my "C" drive)

So, it appears that the problem is related only to the Steam version. Although I can now play the game fine, I still would like to find the solution to the problem with the Steam version.

Any ideas?

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz (6 cores)
EVGA GeForce GTX 470
8GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Dual Channel

Last edited by RWLewis2nd: 01-07-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oddworld series