Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Bully: Scholarship Edition

Old 11-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #16
Gomez34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EamNim View Post
Its a really nice game with a good story, personally the best Rockstar game.
Not sure if serious

Anyways, I thought it was one of the worst ports ever
Gomez34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #17
neema_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by freibooter View Post
This may be the single worst console port I can think of. Just a few things you will probably experience:

* Graphics glitches, minor and/or severe (depending on your drivers and GPU)
* Events won't trigger / dead ends
* Random crashes
These are nothing to do with the port, I don't think, I had each of these problems way back when I got this for PS2. Depends what kind of glitches you mean, of course, but there were plenty when I first played it.

I remember I never finished the game back then because I managed to bunnyhop my BMX into a tiny gap between a lamppost and a fence, then before I realised I was completely stuck and unable to get out, I saved over my only save file because I had to go somewhere and turned the console off. I came back to it the next week and realised that was that, the game was broken (well, circumstantially) because of that one physics glitch; even if I hadn't saved over my game the only way to unstick myself would have been to load another save. To be fair it was a complete fluke that I happened to land the way I did, but still annoying. I don't think I'll go back to it, either, not because it was a bad game but because I preferred other Rockstar games then, and now I have all the Rockstar games I used to play (Max Payne and the GTAs), I don't play them, therefore it is quite unlikely I'd ever play Bully.
neema_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #18
pth

It's not perfect but I didn't have enough problems to stop me from playing. I finished the game and really enjoyed it. I also did it with KB/M so while it's probably easier to play with a controller know that it isn't impossible to play without one.
pth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #19
Damped

It's great & for 3.74 it is defiantly worth checking out. Rockstar has fixed most of the PC problems. It runs great if not better than the ps2 one IMO

But make sure you have controller.
Damped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #20
gotthisfortf2

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by EamNim View Post
Its a really nice game with a good story, personally the best Rockstar game.
The story really wasn't very good, average rockstar betrayal story.
gotthisfortf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #21
SparkTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post
Unfortunately the framerate is capped at 30 (edit: but there is a workaround), but other than that I didn't think it was a bad port. Although it may be one of those issues where if you have certain hardware, it's fine, but if you have the wrong hardware, you have problems.

I had a problem with the game crashing at launch, and IIRC the fix for that was to remove the "Converter" sound device for my Xonar card in Windows' Sound control panel. Apparently it kept trying to use that one, even if it wasn't selected as the default sound device.

Edit: I was wrong. After looking at some other threads I found that you can disable the framerate cap. Yay! http://bully-board.com/index.php?topic=13762.0p I'll have to play it again sometime with that.
That fix messes up the scripting and breaks some missions, so you'll need to remove it eventually.
SparkTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #22
Austin007

For a cheap timewaster, it's ok, but nothing to scream at. I found it repetitive and bland, and rather spend a bit more on a newer title.
Austin007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #23
oktoberklub

The graphics are flawless on my system (Win 7 32-Bit, Quad Core 2.6 GHz, GT 9800 1024 MB), but the controls are pretty shoddy. Still, it's definitely worth the €2.50, the game itself is great!
oktoberklub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #24
BenWah

I played all the way through on windows 7 X64.
I had only a single crash with many hours of gameplay.

I think the game is really excellent, the only thing to watch for is "the shop", which requires you to begin the displayed action IMMEDIATELY and continue doing the action as long as it is displayed. Unforgiving. Once you figure that out it's all good. For the locks, just rotate the mouse in a circle as displayed continuously as long as the arrow displays that direction.

The script is HIGHLY entertaining for this game! Really recommend it.

I actually enjoy this game far more than GTA IV, but a bit less than GTA san andreas or vice city.
BenWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #25
r0cko

Agree with that last one, This game is awesome and I had more fun with it than the GTA games at the time. The shop class is a , it always was but it's even worse on the pc.
r0cko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #26
arachnophilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post
Edit: I was wrong. After looking at some other threads I found that you can disable the framerate cap. Yay! http://bully-board.com/index.php?topic=13762.0p I'll have to play it again sometime with that.
it's a very noticeable difference playing the game at 60fps. two recommendations, though:
  1. v-sync. the workaround just removes the cap, and the game behaves very strangely if it gets over about 120fps. if you can force triple-buffering on your card's control panel, do that too.
  2. backup the original exe. the fix works by replacing that exe file. rename it to something else, but don't copy over it. there is at least one mission i've found that is basically non-functional with the fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberklub View Post
The graphics are flawless on my system (Win 7 32-Bit, Quad Core 2.6 GHz, GT 9800 1024 MB), but the controls are pretty shoddy. Still, it's definitely worth the €2.50, the game itself is great!
i find the graphics are washed out. not enough range of contrast (no real blacks, no real whites). i just play it with my monitor set in a high contrast mode. there are graphics glitches, sure, but there always were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0cko View Post
Agree with that last one, This game is awesome and I had more fun with it than the GTA games at the time. The shop class is a , it always was but it's even worse on the pc.
my impression is that most of the class mini-games are a good deal easier on this version. i 100%ed the game on both the ps2 and the 360, and some of the classes were extremely challenging on both versions.

shop was one of those classes -- the only way i beat on both of those systems was to save right before going to class, memorize the sequence, and start doing the actions before they appeared. on the 360 in particular, simply moving the stick to outside of its range to start spinning it would fail you, because that wasn't how it wanted you to move the stick. you had to either spiral it out, or being doing it ahead of time. in this version, you have some flexibility, and it doesn't fail you for moving your stick outwards to start rotating it. so they've definitely fixed that.

biology was another class (added in 360) that i failed about five times per lesson. i think they've added maybe 30 seconds to the timer. on the 360, you had be precise in your movements, and not waste any time whatsoever.

so far, my biggest issue is some stutter associated with some of the button-press minigames (messing up the timing in stuff like music class), and one random crash.
arachnophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:35 AM   #27
Amander

The mouse control is seriously horrible. But if you have a gamepad, this game is a blast.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #28
Aztec

Quote:
Originally Posted by freibooter View Post
* Utterly terrible keyboard/mouse controls - don't even think of getting this if you don't own an Xinput compatible controller! (one of the mini games asks you to move the mouse-wheel up and down simultaneously in the default set-up)
^^ This
HORRIBLE keyboard/mouse controls. Can't get used to it. It's just...no.
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #29
Fideous

The best thing you can do is re-map the keys. I play on Win 7 - 64 bit and no problems whatsoever. It's a classic that's worth every penny!
Fideous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #30
Appl250

I played this on PS2 and PC.
Both times I enjoyed the game.

I had no issues with game performance and I was playing it on an old rig at the time under XP OS.
Appl250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Bully: Scholarship Edition