Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Blood Bowl series

Old 09-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
jimmiexjames

One of the deepest PC games around

If you unsure if you want to get this game or not, let me just tell you that it is an amazing, deep game that will grab a hold of you. WARNING. There is a very steap learning curve on it. But once you get the rules down, it will grab a hold of you and never let go. Its not an action game, but a deep stratigy game with a little luck in there to. I have gotten almost everyone of my real life computer nerd friends to get this game and we have tournements monthly and it is very fun. If you are about action, it may not be for you. It is not a mutant league football for the pc. But if your in to turn based stratigy, or having a unique team that your friends and foes alike will fear, trust me, its worth 100$. And your getting it for 8$. I know i spell words wrong and have a strong opinion on this game, I just hope I at least could help one person.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
VoodooMike

Of course, if you don't care about the graphical aspect, then you can get all of the above, with a more active community, a proper implementation of Blood Bowl, and all the teams from the board game (the cyanide version is short 4 teams) by googling "FUMBBL", which requires no purchase at all.

FUMBBL does not have a single player mode. If you ask any seasoned Blood Bowl player... neither does Cyanide's version, really
VoodooMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
jimmiexjames

You dont want to go to "fumbbl" becuase theres nothing to look at. Why not get the real game and support the company who makes it. Trust me, its worth it. No offence voodooMike But the game is worth 8$ i dont care what you say. Everyone that plays this game was stunned by how deep it is. And no one is gonna play the fumbbl version that wouldnt play this version. Thats like saying, WHY SPEND THE MOENY ON WARHAMMER BOARD GAME PEICES, WHEN YOU CAN PLAY WITH PEICES OF PAPER INSTEAD. Just trust me the game is worth the 8$. Please dont start arguing wiht me voodoo. I dont have the time with so many potential blood bowl coaches getting this game.
jimmiexjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Bentusi

Personally I was stunned at how such a promising concept could be so poorly implemented. I like strategy and rpg and this game has neither. What it has is random dice rolls sinking you at least 5 times pr match whatever you do.
That`s not strategy, spelling aside. It isn`t deep either.
Bentusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
VoodooMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiexjames
Why not get the real game and support the company who makes it.
I did exactly that when I bought the board game and the miniatures for my team. Games Workshop made Blood Bowl, not Cyanide - cyanide just made a buggy half-implementation of the board game.

Quote:
Everyone that plays this game was stunned by how deep it is. And no one is gonna play the fumbbl version that wouldnt play this version.
I played the game and was not stunned by how deep it was. Neither were plenty of other players, or have you not read the official forums? Likewise, plenty of people have played FUMBBL without playing the cyanide hack of the game - especially because FUMBBL existed long before this PC game was released.

Quote:
WHY SPEND THE MOENY ON WARHAMMER BOARD GAME PEICES, WHEN YOU CAN PLAY WITH PEICES OF PAPER INSTEAD.
Actually, its more like saying "Why play Neverwinter Nights when you have the option of playing actual pen-and-paper Dungeons and Dragons?" The average RPG fan will take the latter over the former every day and twice on sunday... PnP has no graphics, but is the genuinely deep game... the PC games based on it are much less versatile, but have pretty pictures. The people who are after genuine depth tend to favour the things and places that give it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentusi
Personally I was stunned at how such a promising concept could be so poorly implemented. I like strategy and rpg and this game has neither. What it has is random dice rolls sinking you at least 5 times pr match whatever you do.
That's the board game's fault, really - nomatter where you play Blood Bowl, that will be the case. There's always a chance (typically at least a 16.7% chance) that you'll fail a roll and end your turn when taking any action that involves a dice roll.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #6
psychcaptain

Quote:
That's the board game's fault, really - nomatter where you play Blood Bowl, that will be the case. There's always a chance (typically at least a 16.7% chance) that you'll fail a roll and end your turn when taking any action that involves a dice roll.
Typically at least 16.7% chance is a mouthful and doesn't really saying anything. Besides with a reroll 'typically at least 16.7% chance' is really typically at least 2.5% chance.

I'm remind of advertising that sames "You could save up to 15% or more."

Anyway, the game was worth it for 8 dollars. The graphics aren't super bad, and for a laugh, you can play against the AI, something you can't do on Fumbbl.

Edit:
Oh, I have a great one "Usually, I'm at least 80% correct on most occasions."
LOL, that is fun.
psychcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
bazzabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentusi View Post
The strategy is in ensuring that you do all you can to reduce your chances of that happening - and have mitigation and contingency in place for when it does.
bazzabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
VoodooMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychcaptain
Typically at least 16.7% chance is a mouthful and doesn't really saying anything. Besides with a reroll 'typically at least 16.7% chance' is really typically at least 2.5% chance.
It tells you plenty, actually. There is always a way to fail a given roll, and if you reroll you've made two rolls - you're now talking about failing a series of rolls, rather than any given roll of the dice.

Quote:
I'm remind of advertising that sames "You could save up to 15% or more."
Then your brain failed you on the topic, since the statement you're making includes 15% as a maximum while the previous statement was giving 16.67% as a minimum - which is a higher chance of failure than the average gameplayer is expecting, especially given the consequences of failure.

Quote:
Oh, I have a great one "Usually, I'm at least 80% correct on most occasions."
LOL, that is fun.
Except that, in this case, the numbers aren't made up, they're absolutely solid owing to the fact that the game is based on using standard 6-sided dice, and that on any given primary action roll, there is at least one value that ends in total failure (16.67% chance on a single dice roll).

The game thus is about trying to minimize your risk, and taking actions in descending order of risk when possible as a failure ends your turn (precluding any further attempts at any other actions). That's part of the board game, and is not the fault of the PC version... which was my point.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
madroxmultiply

I'm trading this Blood Bowl for other games if anyone is interested. PM me with an offer.
madroxmultiply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
Aeko

I have been curious about this game for a long time now but never bought it. When I saw the Steam Deal yesterday, however, I could no longer resist and bought it right away. I must say though that I am very disappointed at the way the game is explained. The tutorial is mediocre at best and I found that I still don't understand half of what I'm doing and almost nothing about the mistakes I make.

I found it very displeasing that even while I was playing the tutorial the game referred me to the official Blood Bowl rule book (which needs to be bought separately, of course?). Now I started to play the Campaign and keep losing or causing turnovers. It's not so much that I don't understand the different tactics when in offense, but that I have no idea of how to properly defend. In a game I played this afternoon I ended up with about half of my team, including the big Linebackers usually used to knock others about, lying knocked out on the floor, surrounded by at least 2 enemy players. Of course every attempt to get up or do something failed, causing a turnover.

It is really frustrating. Since I really want the game to work and entertain me, I will not give up. But I have seen far better introductions in games that are based on a complex subject matter. For people NOT familiar with the tabletop variant, this is extremely demotivating.
Aeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
TheDarkChaplain

@Aeko
yeah, it does a rather poor job at explaining the game, which is one of the biggest issues.
however, the rulebook is indeed free and linked on the official site:
http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/index....edias-rulebook
Rulebook-PDF
TheDarkChaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #12
louchy

I hear what the guy is saying about the tutorial and stuff. But I found with this game it is good to read up alot about tactics and stuff (something I never do with games, hardly ever even read the manual) http://bbtactics.com/ This is a great resource I find.

And about the dice rolls etc. I think half of the strategy in this game is trying to ensure that you are in a good place to recover from bad rolls and to also try and force your opponent to make as many rolls as possible
louchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Blood Bowl series