Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 12-29-2011, 05:38 AM   #616
MarkZetsu

Hi,

My error message: "There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

First of all thanks for anyone who answer, now down to the problem.

Since yesterday night (like 12 hours ago) I can't make any transaction on steam. That includes steam wallet credit and games. I'm using a debit card but this is the first time I'm having this problem.

Already tried: Using a browser, restarting steam, paypal, 12 hours waiting.
MarkZetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:13 AM   #617
jguerriat

same for me... About 30 hours since my last possible payement... Steam wallet ==> got an error message,

paypal ==> paypal doesn't even show after fullfiling my info
jguerriat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #618
propper

I got an error on two different paypal accounts after clicking pay so this probably is not a problem on my side. This is the error:
Your purchase has not been completed.
The payment processor has reported an authorization failure. Please select a different payment method.
propper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #619
Icantremember

One of my steam accounts was unable to purchase anything from the store for 3 days. It just now stopped and I was able to buy the game on it that I wanted.
However, I have two other accounts that I want to put games on, but I still get the "There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance." error.
Icantremember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #620
propper

I think I figured out where my problem is. My bank made cvv card information mandatory today. So either paypal doesn´t send this information to my bank or just my bank broke their whole online payment system. Just great.
propper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:21 AM   #621
Zild

Not impressed.

I paid Steam money for Steam Wallet credit in good faith that there would be plenty of deals of which to take advantage over the Christmas holiday. And there were.

But when the deals came, Steam could not process the transactions due to the errors described. So far I have missed out on three separate titles during two separate days of errors, totalling around $16 of missed savings (and also $16 of purchases that could not be made).

Steam's response: slow, unhelpful support through their ticket system; no public announcement or acknowledgement of the problem which is clearly affecting widespread users; if last year's posts in this thread are anything to go by, a lacklustre response that entirely fails to recompense loyal customers for Steam's own failure.

Not impressed.
Zild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:39 AM   #622
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zild View Post
Not impressed.

I paid Steam money for Steam Wallet credit in good faith that there would be plenty of deals of which to take advantage over the Christmas holiday. And there were.

But when the deals came, Steam could not process the transactions due to the errors described. So far I have missed out on three separate titles during two separate days of errors, totalling around $16 of missed savings (and also $16 of purchases that could not be made).

Steam's response: slow, unhelpful support through their ticket system; no public announcement or acknowledgement of the problem which is clearly affecting widespread users; if last year's posts in this thread are anything to go by, a lacklustre response that entirely fails to recompense loyal customers for Steam's own failure.

Not impressed.
The only consolation I can offer is that for the future, try to find other alternative or backup forms of payment.

Putting funds in a place where they cannot be retrieved when problems occur is far from ideal.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:43 AM   #623
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokit View Post
Well, the affair has already been remedied (for me anyway). That's why I took the time to post a solution. I seriously doubt it was a congestion issue. I was clicking the "continue" button for about 10-20 minutes with nothing but error messages. Right after I paused the download I tried again and it worked.

I didn't post to hate on Steam. I posted to a) maybe help someone else, and b) maybe shed some light on what might be causing the issue ie. to help make a better Steam.
No, that IS congestion, albeit congestion at your end.

As I said, it is an issue with Steam in that it hogs bandwidth, so whatever your internet speed and quality of connection, it matters not one bit.

When making payments, particularly at this time of year, make sure nobody else is using your connection and that it is clear. That 3-seconds window is a tight one, and doesn't take much to trip it up.

Just so you know, the issue of hogging bandwidth is well-known, and apparently Valve are still working on it for the future, whenever that may be.

However, my comments regarding pausing downloads, etc, aren't JUST for Steam. You should undertake this practice at any busy times of year at least.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:44 AM   #624
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by propper View Post
I think I figured out where my problem is. My bank made cvv card information mandatory today. So either paypal doesn´t send this information to my bank or just my bank broke their whole online payment system. Just great.
It's entirely possible that Paypal haven't updated things their end to accept the new details from your bank. So, they wouldn't be expecting to receive the CVV number, which of course will fail as the bank's end won't accept it without.

It's not the first time they've done this.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:45 AM   #625
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZetsu View Post
Hi,

My error message: "There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

First of all thanks for anyone who answer, now down to the problem.

Since yesterday night (like 12 hours ago) I can't make any transaction on steam. That includes steam wallet credit and games. I'm using a debit card but this is the first time I'm having this problem.

Already tried: Using a browser, restarting steam, paypal, 12 hours waiting.
If you're using a debit card, there is absolutely no reason to use Paypal, and it's probably better if you don't.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:48 AM   #626
Zild

I just read that as "don't trust Steam", which is unfortunate as I previously had no real concerns about the service. I think I would have a good case to reclaim the payment via my bank (online payment for services not fulfilled) but that would be such a faff for me.

Still, worth it on principle alone.
Zild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:55 AM   #627
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zild View Post
I just read that as "don't trust Steam", which is unfortunate as I previously had no real concerns about the service. I think I would have a good case to reclaim the payment via my bank (online payment for services not fulfilled) but that would be such a faff for me.

Still, worth it on principle alone.
No, that's not what I meant at all.

What I meant was that it's foolish to put all your funds in one place, when things go wrong and you can't retrieve them.

Always try to have a backup payment option, and always try to use bank accounts and the like where you can transfer the money BACK if it isn't working for you.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 AM   #628
LaMaestro

Banned
FIXED!

Support replied me:

Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello LaMaestro,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Our records indicate that your purchase was declined due to your current IP address differing from what is on file with your billing information.

We have removed the lock on your account - you will now be able to purchase additional subscriptions.

Additionally, please try your purchase again by launching Internet Explorer or Firefox and using this link:

http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=lt

Please bookmark this link for continued purchasing while you are traveling out of your native country.

Please let us know if you have any questions, or if you encounter any further difficulty.

LaMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:45 AM   #629
MarkZetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrog555 View Post
If you're using a debit card, there is absolutely no reason to use Paypal, and it's probably better if you don't.
I know, I don't use it regularly (only for buying Indie donation bundles) Support has not responded and I can't buy anything yet.

My point is that I already tried many methods of payment but is still not working : (
MarkZetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:47 AM   #630
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZetsu View Post
I know, I don't use it regularly (only for buying Indie donation bundles) Support has not responded and I can't buy anything yet.

My point is that I already tried many methods of payment but is still not working : (
Ah, sorry. That is dreadfully unlucky.

If it helps, there's an earlier post on here from me which describes some of the procedures involved in card payments. It might be possible you've auto-blocked yourself, but instead of me making guesses, please do give it a look. It might be of use.

Hope it gets sorted very soon for you.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips