Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Medieval II series

Old 12-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
AlanOC91

Friendly to Beginners?

Hey guys im just wondering is this game friendly to beginners?
I think I have almost all the total war games except Shogun. I bought the total war mege pack a while back.

The first game in the pack I tried to play was Napoleon. I tried the tutorial, I had absolutely no idea what was going on
Its a fairly confusing game!

At the moment im downloading Medieval 2 through Steam (should take roughly an hour if my speed stays topped!) and im wondering is this easy on beginners?
It will also hold my attention easier since I LOVE Medieval type warfare as im a massive massive fan of Age of Empires 2.

Also panning on getting that LOTR mod for it, it looks amazing!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
TG Sully

I think Rome and Medieval 2 are the best games out of them all, wished they would go back to them and make the newer games similar.

Which is easiest to learn? Maybe Rome, it was out before Med 2 so it kinda lays the way as it introduced new stuff. They all kinda play the same anyway. Just play the tutorials and look for guides online.

Overall they are not hard games to learn, once you get the hang of it you'll be fine
TG Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Mogan

Well, Empire probably has the best tutorial, followed by Napoleon, but what you should keep in mind is that Rome and Medieval 2 are 2nd generation Total War games, while Empire and Napoleon are 3rd gen. Games from each generation play very similarly to each other, but are a little different from the rest. So the Napoleon tutorial probably wont help you out all that much with Medieval 2. The very basics are still the same though, so its better than nothing.

Anyway, Medieval 2 is probably less complex than Napoleon is, so I think it'll be a little easier to get into, but I would start by just playing one of the historical battles. Get the feel and controls of the combat down before trying to tackle the turn based half of the Grand Campaign.
Mogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
AlanOC91

Thanks for the reply guys, been playing both medieval 2 and shogun 2 and I must say I enjoy both of them a lot. I find the campaign in shogun 2 easier to understand but the main thing is that im enjoying them a lot! Great games they are!
AlanOC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
xSilverPhinx

I decided to play this one before the others, because it's fairly simple, at least compared to Shogun 2, which causes me to not know what's going on half the time during the Grand Campaign.

I would say so, yes.
xSilverPhinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
Rossignol

As you've played other Total War games, M2TW shouldn't be too steep of a learning curve. England is the easiest faction to start with, especially as the AI isn't too great with amphibious invasions.

Once you get comfortable with the game, I'd highly recommend the Stainless Steel mod. It doesn't add much new difficulty. (Well, some of the sub-mods do) It has the same general feel, but expands the game world and faction list/unit list to the maximum possible. It's one of those mods where after you play it, you'll likely never play vanilla again.

Two other highly popular and well done mods are Broken Crescent (the game world is centered in the Middle East region) and Third Age (Middle Earth). Those two have a number of different game mechanics though.
Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
NXMT

Actually if anything, I'd say Shogun 2 is by far the easiest to pick up because it's more "tight". The range of units aren't incredibly diverse (not necessarily a bad thing) and everything else is pretty much streamlined and distinct enough.
NXMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
bud380

Banned
I thought Shogun 2 was pretty terrible actually. Yea, it's graphics were nice and yea it had somewhat more intelligent AI, but seriously WTF happened to the unit variety? Nearly every single unit for all the different factions were identical to eachother! That's where i think they went wrong. Rome, Medieval 2, hell, even Empire and Napoleon had thrice as much unit variety amongst it's many different factions.
bud380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
Rossignol

I wouldn't call Shogun 2 terrible, but I've yet to be able to really get into it. Tough for a a game like that to compare to the unit variety of Medieval 2 or Rome, each covering hundreds of years of history across a sizable landscape. Even Empire felt like most upgrades were from gun to slightly better gun. I did like the multiple theaters in Empire though.
Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #10
Bague

shogun 2 is an arcade version of the original TW games.

there really is nothing complicated about it and almost no strategy.
also everyone has the same units, special units just have some +stat and unit variety in general is bad.

also, the campaign is terrible in shogun2.

i bought it cause peop,e called it the best recent TW game, but i regret it now. Well, they released modding tools now after they are finished milking DLCs, so maybe it gets saved.
Bague is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Medieval II series