Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jamestown

Old 12-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
3x0r10

Banned
Explain to me...

... about the vaugn system?

It's definitely not raiden like bomb, and the special power are unlimited.

How do you use the vaugn properly, and what are those "combos" sometimes they're appear after I activate vaugn, sometimes they don't

heck just explain to me the game mechanics in general, how to properly play this game, compared to the "traditional" raiden-like (with bombs and powerups).

Anyway I like this game a lot. Props to the devs.

Last edited by 3x0r10: 12-29-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Adamar

Collecting bolts fills your meter. Activating vaunt puts out a shield which converts all the bullets in it to points. A good strategy is to wait for a lot of bullets to come your way before you activate to maximise the initial points.

While vaunt is active, your damage is doubled and the gauge slowly decreases; keep killing and collecting bolts to maintain it. You can cancel it early (press the button again) to deploy a small shield to get out of a pinch. You're awarded a small points bonus in this case.

While the bonus is negligible compared to letting it run out, it's infinitely better than losing a life- so if you're in a tight spot cancel the crap out of that vaunt and get away. Be warned, however - you can't build gauge again for a few seconds after cancelling.

Alternatively- you can keep it going as long as possible. When you let vaunt end naturally (running out of gauge) you're given a bonus based on how long it's active. This bonus is higher as you play on harder difficulties, too. Long vaunt combos are the key to massive scores.

Be warned! If you die during vaunt, you get no points at all.
Adamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
ChimmyChanga

...On second thought, I should probably just have let someone else explain this as they did a much better job than I did lol.
ChimmyChanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
3x0r10

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamar View Post
Collecting bolts fills your meter. Activating vaunt puts out a shield which converts all the bullets in it to points. A good strategy is to wait for a lot of bullets to come your way before you activate to maximise the initial points.

While vaunt is active, your damage is doubled and the gauge slowly decreases; keep killing and collecting bolts to maintain it. You can cancel it early (press the button again) to deploy a small shield to get out of a pinch. You're awarded a small points bonus in this case.

While the bonus is negligible compared to letting it run out, it's infinitely better than losing a life- so if you're in a tight spot cancel the crap out of that vaunt and get away. Be warned, however - you can't build gauge again for a few seconds after cancelling.

Alternatively- you can keep it going as long as possible. When you let vaunt end naturally (running out of gauge) you're given a bonus based on how long it's active. This bonus is higher as you play on harder difficulties, too. Long vaunt combos are the key to massive scores.

Be warned! If you die during vaunt, you get no points at all.
after I activate vaunt, then I activate again, the shield become small and the gauge was crossed. Do I still have vaunt points with this state?

And sometimes I see achievement notification popped out, saying something about combo?
3x0r10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
ChimmyChanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x0r10 View Post
after I activate vaunt, then I activate again, the shield become small and the gauge was crossed. Do I still have vaunt points with this state?

And sometimes I see achievement notification popped out, saying something about combo?
No you dont get vaunt combos when the gauge is crossed.

Achievements for combo.. probably you got enough of a combo score and/or held on to the vaunt/combo for long enough.
ChimmyChanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Adamar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x0r10 View Post

That's your 'progress' towards competing the achievement. Each difficulty has a cheev for getting a certain length combo (Time requirements increase as you go up, making them exponentially harder to achieve. Judgement 90 second combo is bananas).

When you get above your longest on that difficulty, but below the requirement for the cheev, it updates.
Adamar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jamestown