Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Costume Quest

Old 11-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
maysin

text speed

Is there an option to change the text speed? Some of the text bubbles disappear pretty fast during the cutscenes. The short ones seem to last longer than the long text bubbles, which is weird.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
videogames10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maysin View Post
Is there an option to change the text speed? Some of the text bubbles disappear pretty fast during the cutscenes. The short ones seem to last longer than the long text bubbles, which is weird.

I agree. The time allotted to read the text is inconsistant. You're given one or two seconds to read an entire paragraph, and ten seconds or more to read a simple sentence. All of the text should be prompt based rather than timer based. It would be nice to be able to read the dialog at a comfortable pace without having to utilize speed reading techniques. Oddly, some of the dialog in the game is timer based, and some of it is prompt enabled. Why not make it prompt enabled throughout the game? This way everybody can read at their own pace.
videogames10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
sib2

Text speed is fine for me, btw English is not my native language. Kids think and speak pretty fast, so maybe you are just too old for that game
sib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Emonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sib2 View Post
Text speed is fine for me, btw English is not my native language. Kids think and speak pretty fast, so maybe you are just too old for that game
Haha you are cheeky :P

And maybe the bubbles just seem to disappear faster because there's more to read?
Old 12-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
DeliriousSorcer

This game's text speed borders on erratic. If you like to imagine voices while you read dialog, well, they better be chipmunk speed.

I somehow doubt that speed reading tactics were intended to be used in a game that I almost passed up on for looking too childish.

It's the Double Fine curse I guess. Can't blame the pirates on this one.
DeliriousSorcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:50 AM   #6
Belgium

I haven't played the console version recently, but from memory the text speed on PS3 was quite slow, whereas on PC it seems too fast and erratic in general. Prompting to progress dialogue would be a very good fix for this. Also pausing during dialogue with the spacebar seems only to work some of the time - is this deliberate or a bug?
Belgium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
The text speed is the same across all platforms (barring any framerate issues you might get on a bad PC). You can pause most of the cutscene dialog in CQ PC by pressing the key you have mapped to pail bash (if memory serves). I may have mis-remembered the key, but we added that in the console patch and shipped it in the base version of CQ PC.
DFNathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Zazcallabah

What if you are a fast reader and constantly get frustrated by having to wait ages for the text to display the next line? Pressing buttons only seem to make the whole cutscene skip.

...does this get better in-game? I only managed to play through the intro cutscene before quitting in frustration.
Zazcallabah is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Costume Quest