Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island

Old 12-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
tauren213

steam did the 1 update then it just quit DI

hello:

we just installed the retail store game disk and activated the key product key. after that steam did its 1update on it is it suppose to? it did about 98 % of the update and then it quit so we clicked on cancel. we are getting ready to play off line for now. we llooked for the dead island in games file did not see it but its on the desktop. how would we make the dead island appear in the games folder with all the other games if possible?

is it possible to play this game in off line mode like not on the internet just on the computer itself. if so can some one tell us how we can do this?

tauren213

Last edited by tauren213: 12-30-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Kleetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauren213 View Post
how would we make the dead island appear in the games folder with all the other games if possible?
Do you mean make it appear in Games Explorer?

If so, you'll have to use Steam Assitance.

And yes, it's normal for the game to update after install.

As you said it was 98%, I would suggest you verify the game files via Steam just to make sure everything is OK.
Kleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
tauren213

hay kleetus a respond to you

thanks for the reply :

we are kind of new to steam and how it operates. so forgive us for not understanding some aspects of steam.

well?? we was hopeing to just click on the dead island icon on the desk top and then play like that off line for now. how do I get the update to update again? for us to play off line the steam needs to update the game if theres is any. how do we verify if the games files from steam and check to see if everthing is ok? I cannot access my library in that matter I can not even find my library to see if the game is in there.

don't tell me that I have to reinstall the game disk again for me to get the update working again.

tauen213
tauren213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Kleetus

Quote:
we was hopeing to just click on the dead island icon on the desk top and then play like that off line for now.
That's fine, you should just be able to click the desktop shortcut and play.

I don't have Steam installed at the moment, so I'm doing this from memory:

If there's no shortcut, right-click the game in Steam, Properties then General and Create Desktop Shortcut.

To verify game files, right-click the game in Steam, Local Files tab and then "Verify integrity of game cache".

Regarding updating, Steam automatically keeps games in your library updated, unless you've turned auto updating off.

For more information and How To, see the Knowledge Base.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
tauren213

reply to kleetus, update is paused

hello again kleetus: thanks the the help

I just went to my library and saw my game and in the top left hand corner it says update is paused. I did not pause the update all I did was click on close. because it was getting late in the day. now when I click on the icon and try to open it it says cannot play off line updates not completed. now how do I reactivate the update from in a pause to running the update. last time I saw it was at 98 % complete now some how I need to update the following last 2%.

and why is steam automatically updateing dead island (btw I think it should be called zombie island) anyway if you can play off line with out update and I cannot, to me something is wrong there.

tauren213
Old 12-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Kleetus

Quote:
how do I reactivate the update from in a pause to running the update.
Steam sometimes pauses/suspends updates, I don't know if this is a bug or they're too cheap to upgrade their servers, but it affects a lot of people.

Anyway, right-click your game and you'll see the options for pausing and resuming the update.

If you want to disable auto-updates for games, right-click the game in your library, then properties then updates.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:46 AM   #7
tauren213

now I got a bigger problem with my internet security

hello kleetus: thanks for the information.

well ?? about the library. you see my internet security did a scan automatically and found out that the 27 cookies it found it deleted them and now I cannot click on my library and show my game in steam. seems like intrnet security though the steam cookies were bad if that effects my issue any I do not know but seems funny that I cannot acces my library after it did its scan and deleted my steam cookies.

what do you know about that

tauren213
Old 12-31-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
hawk318

If you're referring to Norton internet security (I use it).... you have to allow Steam permissions to access the web.... DI also needs premissions to access the web as it has it's own needs (most other games do not)
Somewhere you can manually add the permissions for the Steam.exe and deadisland.exe.... you should be able ot get Steam up and running again.

Once in to Steam/library, do as Kleet said, right click the DI and choose to continue download.

Start the game on the splash screens somewhere it should say version 1.31.

If you still have trouble with the game...... Go back to the library, right click on the DI title and select "properties" when the window appears look through the tabs until you find the "verify game files" (or something like that)
Steam will then see if there aare any corrupt files and replace the once that are bad.

Luck!

BTW: at least in Norton you can go into the warning and select to allow the things the scan removed.... only when it occurs, but you might check and see if you still have the option i your AV/firewall to put what it took out back in.

Last edited by hawk318: 12-31-2011 at 07:27 AM.
hawk318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
tauren213

thanks for the reply hawk

hawk: just to let you know I do have norton and I got my library back.

now permissions like you said allow permissons for steam.exe and deadisland.exe. is that the way I would type it in to permissions aera in norton? but there is no other game set up like that right? ( what you can think of ) I also got duke nukem forever; skyrim; rage anachy edition that need to be installed also. oh yeah world of warcraft. diabol II which is an xp game but do not know how to get that installed since its an xp game and I got w7 ultimate.

I also got my download running also. question why does steam automatically downloads any update once the game is installed. you think its up to the user if wan the update or not right?

tauren213

I mean does not bother me about the automatic update just want to know thats all.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
hawk318

The fastest way I found is go into your wirewall settings/computer settings/program control....configure.

find the dead island listing (mine is (drv letter)\steam\steam apps\common\deadislandgame.exe
If it's listed change it from deny to auto or allow (mines auto)

Ok now fine these if you have them (for steam)

Steam
(drv letter)\steam\steam.exe

The other steam is for error reporting and I found it useful as it may have something to do with the steam verify game files utility. That should be right under or over the above listing for steam..... set the both for auto...... hit "apply", then ok, ok and clost out NIS.

If they aren't listed, then you'll have to find the .exe's and enter them manually.
Another trick I've used in the past was just delete the steam option if you can't find them..... set NIS to manually set/ok interner options, then open the games... NIS should ask if you want to allow and just say yes..... After that you can set NIS back to auto detect.

Hope that does it for ya, if not.... I'll be on tomorror no doubt or you can drop me a line thru my web site(s)

Good luck.
hawk318 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island