Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 01-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #16
i-ghost

An unsigned client-side plugin which can bypass the -insecure check and unclamp cvars specifically clamped in the past by Valve.

Yeah, perfectly safe.

Last edited by i-ghost: 01-02-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: sp
i-ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #17
Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-ghost View Post
An unsigned client-side plugin which can bypass the -insecure check and unclamp cvars specifically clamped in the past by Valve.

Yeah, perfectly safe.
Agreed.

Also, can't you theoretically expand your FoV enough for it to clip through walls? Because I was pretty sure you could.

That said, I do like the idea of a 130 FoV and playing without removing my viewmodels. The mat_picmip addition is also nice. But sadly, most likely going to be removed/fixed/whatever. This is a point where clientside plugins go a little too far. There are limits for a reason.
Problem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
Ericson666

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Problem View Post
Agreed.

Also, can't you theoretically expand your FoV enough for it to clip through walls? Because I was pretty sure you could.

That said, I do like the idea of a 130 FoV and playing without removing my viewmodels. The mat_picmip addition is also nice. But sadly, most likely going to be removed/fixed/whatever. This is a point where clientside plugins go a little too far. There are limits for a reason.
Yeah, someone made a video about that. I think I'm going to email valve to be sure.
Ericson666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #19
AnAkIn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson666 View Post
Yeah, someone made a video about that. I think I'm going to email valve to be sure.
BTW, you can do exactly the same thing by changing your aspect ratio (it changes your FOV), and some people have been doing that for years. Valve is aware of it since a while but didn't do anything.
AnAkIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #20
Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAkIn View Post
BTW, you can do exactly the same thing by changing your aspect ratio (it changes your FOV), and some people have been doing that for years. Valve is aware of it since a while but didn't do anything.
Doesn't make it any better. Maybe you should email Valve about it though, they might find some of this stuff useful. I really like the transparent viewmodel idea, it's a great compromise. And if Valve sees there is a demand for a wider FoV they might increase the limit.
Problem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #21
Mouldaiselne

Banned
I kind of expected the transparancy setting to be a little bit less transparant. It's like, 0.9, everything is basically still invisible.

Also, mat_picmip 6 gives a decent fps boost. Anything past that and it seems to go a little bit dark on all the models, making it harder to see enemies from teammates.

And you can have sniper zoom on all weapons using something like this:

Code:
alias "ironsights"    "+ironsights"
alias "+ironsights"   "sensitivity xx; fov_desired 20; r_drawviewmodel 0; alias ironsights -ironsights"   
alias "-ironsights"   "sensitivity xx; fov_desired xx; r_drawviewmodel 1; alias ironsights +ironsights"   sensitivity
bind mouse3 ironsights
and that's fairly handy. Brilliant plug-in, cheers.
Mouldaiselne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #22
Nerfed

Quote:
Valve was aware of Drunken F00l's idle program for a while as well.

They never said a thing about that either.

Then suddenly, valve goes full-on derp mode and the halocaust happens.
Nerfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
Ericson666

Banned
Quote:
But what about the people who DO have 100:1 monitors?
Ericson666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
svinepelz

I don't seem to be able to connect to any servers with -insecure on. Is there a way to fix this without taking away the command?
svinepelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
Kaitostrike

I don't care about the transparent viewmodels. Nor about the FOV changer. I merely love this for the ability to use mat_picmip -10 again.

YESSS! YESSS!
Kaitostrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:02 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #26
Tony Paloma

Valve
The -insecure check is there to prevent people accidentally getting VAC banned by having server plugins loaded client-side. A plugin that disables this safeguard runs the risk of getting the user VAC banned. If you've installed this plugin or any similar plugins, I'd recommend removing it right away. If a plugin author wants to make suggestions for the game, they should send email to the TF Team and/or start a forum thread to gain support for their ideas.
Tony Paloma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #27
rebmcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Paloma View Post
The -insecure check is there to prevent people accidentally getting VAC banned by having server plugins loaded client-side. A plugin that disables this safeguard runs the risk of getting the user VAC banned. If you've installed this plugin or any similar plugins, I'd recommend removing it right away. If a plugin author wants to make suggestions for the game, they should send email to the TF Team and/or start a forum thread to gain support for their ideas.
Thanks for the response, but oh, the irony! :¬)
rebmcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #28
S. H. Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee009 View Post
So it makes me that if I want to see more?
See more? This is TF2, FOV cap is 90, and should not be changed. Deal with it.

If Valve allows something like this, give it a couple of days and the users will request Bunny Hopping again... *sigh*
S. H. Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #29
Kaitostrike

Quote:
Dammit! Well, time to find another plug-in that let's me set mat_picmip -10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. H. Lynx View Post
Want to have higher FOV? Go play FF or TFC.

Tourneyf4gs already killed TFC, no need to do the same with TF2
You sound angry. We used to be able to set it higher than 90, but they changed it. Personally, I used 100 until they made that change, but I honestly don't care too much either way. Why shouldn't people be able to set their FOV a little higher? Granted, they shouldn't be able to set it ridiculously high, but it doesn't sound like that's your problem.
Kaitostrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #30
monkey4love

Quote:

There have been many threads asking for transparent viewmodels or the ability to change their opacity. Is there anything in the pipeline? Should we continue making more threads?
monkey4love is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2