Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Universe Sandbox

Old 12-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
diggyd123

Steven Hawking Discovery Channel Show

I just DL'd this program with steam as I saw it was on sale (I would of DL'd it anyway for normal price as this stuff intrests me anyway)...anyway...in the one of the shows there is a room full of ball bearings to imitate material evenly spread through the universe after the bigbang...then 5 bearings are removed and you get to see interaction of gravity once the inperfection of the removed 5 bearings takes hold.

My question is...has anyone built a simulation that replicates this cool interaction in any form...I'm totally new to the program and might try and see if I can figure this out, and make 5 equal stationary objects dissapear and see what happens, but it sounds like it's probobly more something easier done scripted to output a file to load as using the gui to drag and drop a few thousand objects equally spaced apart and then doing a instant delete of X number of those objects and watching the mgic happen is a little to much for me...

Anyway does anyone know of a simulation for sandbox like that?
Old 01-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
xVermicide

Banned
i'm interested in this as well. i haven't seen the show you mentioned, but i'd like to see unibox simulate this.

just wait for dan to come and let us know what's up.
xVermicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Dan Dixon

Universe Sandbox
Sounds interesting, but I'm not clear on exactly what they did and haven't see that show.

Can you find a clip of this demonstration on YouTube?
Dan Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
gipp

ha i just watched that last night.

its called "into the universe with stephen hawking"

i definitely recommend it as it does a great job illustrating different ideas and theories.

heres the clip about the "imperfect universe" causing gas particles to be attracted to eachother due to gravity, creating the first stars. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DECAorZYErk
gipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Dan Dixon

Universe Sandbox
That's interesting, thanks for the link.

Unfortunately this would only actually work with an infinite number of spheres, as the balls at the edge of any group would be pulled toward the center of the room. Only if there were an infinite number of balls in all directions would the pull of the other balls cancel out.

While not exactly what was shown...
You can open up the simulation "Floating Moon" (third thumbnail down on the right side of the Universe Sandbox main menu). All of these moons are motionless and gravity pulls them together.

It would still be interesting to create simulation of a grid of spheres...
Old 01-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Michael1971

Banned
Hi Dan,

You mean we have a chance for an second big bang?

Download PerfectUniverse and ImperfectUniverse simulations here:
http://universesandbox.com/forum/ind....html#msg51869

Last edited by Dan Dixon: 01-03-2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Linked to offical forum with the files
Michael1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Dan Dixon

Universe Sandbox
Check out the excellent simulations created by Michael1971.

You can download them on the offical Universe Sandbox forums (and you don't need to login):
http://universesandbox.com/forum/ind....html#msg51869
Old 01-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
diggyd123

Very Nice

That is very cool. I pause as soon as sim starts a remove a handful of objects throughout the grid. Very cool, I've been able to get two objects orbiting each other...this is nice..it kinda simulates a large area in space, and shows why binary stars are the norm then not.

Thanks for the replies and the simulation. Very good stuff.
diggyd123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Universe Sandbox