Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #16
brookh

32-bit Win7, E8400, 4GB, GTX 560 Ti. 331 hrs played since release day on 11/11/11. I did not experience frequent crashes until very recently. In the last 24 hrs I've started encountering specific doors or area-transitions which will always crash:

1) Exiting Jorrvaskr. I can enter, but once I do I cannot exit back to Whiterun w/out C.T.D. every time.

2) Entering Brotherhood Sanctuary (south)

FYI: The save game files are ~19MB, which is still very small, but a lot larger that the 3 MB they started as:

Code:
Save 1      3,209,488
Save 6      3,626,214
Save 20     4,267,666
Save 37     5,988,751
Save 47     9,068,055
Save 57    12,929,605
Save 67    17,143,163
Save 72    19,049,225
Save 73    19,666,113
brookh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #17
END3RFURY

Cool Looks like I've found a Fix! :)

I was plagued with exactly the same issue as described in this thread... venturing around outside of Riften, particularly South, Southwest to Western areas resulted in inevitable and constantly re-occuring CTD's or sometimes just screen freezes, leaving me no other choice but to alt-tab and force end-task the game in task manager.

Ridiculously annoying, I know...

Anyway, after reading through this thread, I tried the suggestion posted by Amarinth and it worked for me, but ONLY once I did it like this:

1. Fast travel to a different area, city and enter a house preferably your own, I went to my breezehome in whiterun.

2. save your game inside now exit. go to: your Documents/My Games/Skyrim/Saves folder and after backing up all of your saves in a different location DELETE THEM ALL INCLUDING AUTO & QUICKSAVES FROM THE SAVES FOLDER (btw check the size of these save files, for me at least, most of the files were around 11700-12000KB except for my last 4 which were somewhere around 16000KB, I'm guessing that the bigger files are the ones prone to becoming corrupt).

3. Now copy ONLY 1 file, namely your most recent save back into the Skyrim/Saves folder.

4. Load up the game, and without leaving your house sleep/wait for AT LEAST 7 in-game days. Then go to save new game and delete the only other previous save game.

5. Exit your house and fast-travel back to Riften and try walking around the area...everything should be back to normal

After doing this I later checked the file in my saves folder and it had automatically reverted back to 11750KB from the previously mentioned 16550KB.

I think that this error is caused by the games Autosave feature which still seems to be bugged, seeing as how I also sometimes experienced sudden framerate drops when entering/exiting buildings or just following autosaves in general so I've also turned this feature off completely to hopefully prevent any crappy CTD's in the future. This means I have to manually save often which kinda sucks and I've even gone to the length of keeping my save files nice and tidy with only a handful available at any given time and continuously deleting the rest. It's bothersome to have to keep doing, but sure beats the random game freezes and CTD's. :P

I hope this helps u guys, cheers!
END3RFURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #18
squall_leonhart

Quote:
I think that this error is caused by the games Autosave feature which still seems to be bugged, seeing as how I also sometimes experienced sudden framerate drops when entering/exiting buildings or just following autosaves in general so I've also turned this feature off completely to hopefully prevent any crappy CTD's in the future.
nah, its the game engines garbage collection failing.
squall_leonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #19
PainkillerRider

I tried the above solution, unfortunately didn't work... I have basically tried all the tricks I knew from Oblivion and all found for Skyrim on Internet - nothing worked, Riften is simply off-limits to me, like it's not in the game... A shame - although I wasn't interested in the Thieves Guild, there was still plenty to do in Riften...
PainkillerRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
acohen1

I don't why I couldn't find this thread before. I have the same problem as OP. I get anywhere near Solitude and the game freezes immediately or crashes to desktop. I've tried END3RFURY's suggestion, no dice. I only lost about 20Kb from my save size doing that.

For whats it worth, my game appears a bit confused as to whether Solitude is Imperial or Stormcloak even though I've finished the entire Stomcloak quest line, the description of those flags on the table maps seem to change when I hover the mouse over them.

Last edited by acohen1: 01-09-2012 at 12:07 PM.
acohen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #21
kc8888

I tried the steps END3RFURY posted and I am still getting the CTD. It's been over a month and I've try everything I could and no luck, I hope Bethesda will release a patch to fix the re-occuring CTDs.
kc8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #22
true_blue

I have this problem just outside of Riften as well.. on the south / south east side and its stopping me from meeting Karliah at nightingale cave.
true_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #23
Nynaeve Al Mere

MEGAUPLOAD link

[QUOTE=kc8888;26664389]I have hit a particularly nasty issue. It seems that when I enter a sizable area around Riften, I immediately crash to desktop. From what I can tell, this extends from Shor's Stone to Nightingale Hall from north to south. The west most I can get is basically Goldenglow Estate. I can not fast travel, walk, or take a wagon to any point within this area without the game crashing. I have tried the LAA, 4GB, removal of all mods, a clean reinstall, and the CTD still exists. I even tested the save files on my laptop without any mods and the result is still the same. So I created a new character using console, fast traval to Riften, ran around the area and there was no CTD. I am a bit worried that there is something wrong with my saves as I have been to Riften many times previously and it has suddenly stopped working.

Here is my save file, if anyone wanna test the CTD feel free to do so. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G4FKMEDU
Are you aware of the link you get when you click on this url?
Nynaeve Al Mere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #24
true_blue

lol yeah MU got taken down.. try another host

[QUOTE=Nynaeve Al Mere;28845433]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8888 View Post
I have hit a particularly nasty issue. It seems that when I enter a sizable area around Riften, I immediately crash to desktop. From what I can tell, this extends from Shor's Stone to Nightingale Hall from north to south. The west most I can get is basically Goldenglow Estate. I can not fast travel, walk, or take a wagon to any point within this area without the game crashing. I have tried the LAA, 4GB, removal of all mods, a clean reinstall, and the CTD still exists. I even tested the save files on my laptop without any mods and the result is still the same. So I created a new character using console, fast traval to Riften, ran around the area and there was no CTD. I am a bit worried that there is something wrong with my saves as I have been to Riften many times previously and it has suddenly stopped working.

Here is my save file, if anyone wanna test the CTD feel free to do so. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G4FKMEDU
Are you aware of the link you get when you click on this url?
true_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #25
Ergates

Chap(esse)s suffering ctd at Riften: have you/are you using the 1.4.2 beta?
I and others have found it has helped to prevent them.

If you use SKSE, don't forget to update. Also remove Skyboost.

Good luck.
Ergates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #26
whickus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookh View Post
32-bit Win7, E8400, 4GB, GTX 560 Ti. 331 hrs played since release day on 11/11/11. I did not experience frequent crashes until very recently. In the last 24 hrs I've started encountering specific doors or area-transitions which will always crash:

1) Exiting Jorrvaskr. I can enter, but once I do I cannot exit back to Whiterun w/out C.T.D. every time.

2) Entering Brotherhood Sanctuary (south)

FYI: The save game files are ~19MB, which is still very small, but a lot larger that the 3 MB they started as:

Code:
Save 1      3,209,488
Save 6      3,626,214
Save 20     4,267,666
Save 37     5,988,751
Save 47     9,068,055
Save 57    12,929,605
Save 67    17,143,163
Save 72    19,049,225
Save 73    19,666,113
I can almost guarantee it's due to the size of your save file. Same thing started happening to me on my first character around 18 megs. The new patch is addressing this issue and several people using the beta patch have reported that their previous crash prone saves are no longer crashing.
whickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #27
KaylaKaze

I had this problem, but without the save game bloat. I went to my house and rested for 8 days and then took the cart to Riften and it didn't crash, so thanks to who posted that method.
KaylaKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #28
kludermor

@END3RFURY

This method worked for me at many other areas in Skyrim causing CTD. But not Riften in my case.
But I'm happy I can now travel outside without CTD every 10 minutes. Used to fast travel everywhere to avoid CTD.

Not that hard to wait inside for 7 days.
kludermor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #29
chriscasket

Red face

The game now always either crashes or freezes when I get close to Riften near the south gate (haven't tried the north gate yet.) It never used to do that before (it's been almost five months since I have actually been to Riften though)... but it does it now no matter what character or save I am on. No MODS loaded.

I did try creating a new character and used a cheat to travel to and around Riften and noticed the game didn't crash at all. It crashes on my level 7 thief but I've hardly done anything in the game with that character.

All I know now is I am extremely tired of all the bugs in this game and think I've had just about enough. I have patiently dealt with bugs since release; Skyrim is a game that I have both loved and hated equally since its release, but now the hate has really started to outweigh the love, I think. This is just so friggin ridiculous!! Now they are talking new DLC and an MMO, yet they still haven't fixed this game?!?!?! What a joke, Bethesda!!!!
chriscasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #30
manny_gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscasket View Post
The game now always either crashes or freezes when I get close to Riften near the south gate (haven't tried the north gate yet.) It never used to do that before (it's been almost five months since I have actually been to Riften though)... but it does it now no matter what character or save I am on. No MODS loaded.

I did try creating a new character and used a cheat to travel to and around Riften and noticed the game didn't crash at all. It crashes on my level 7 thief but I've hardly done anything in the game with that character.

All I know now is I am extremely tired of all the bugs in this game and think I've had just about enough. I have patiently dealt with bugs since release; Skyrim is a game that I have both loved and hated equally since its release, but now the hate has really started to outweigh the love, I think. This is just so friggin ridiculous!! Now they are talking new DLC and an MMO, yet they still haven't fixed this game?!?!?! What a joke, Bethesda!!!!
Near Riften there is the Dark Brotherhood sanctuary and I knew that exist a mod that adds a daedric weapon in the sanctuary. Some peoples have reported CTDs with this mod.
Have you previously had this kind of mod with your lvl 7 character?
manny_gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V