Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Saints Row 2

Old 12-04-2011, 04:29 AM   #1
AH1

New Game Crash

Hello,

This is a known problem with SR2, but I have not been able to fix it doing the known fixes. In short, my game crashes when I select new game.

My system stats are as follows:
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.30ghz
16gb RAM
ATI HD5780 1gb VRAM

I am running the Steam version of the game.

Here is what I have already tried that have not worked:
1) Disabled one of my monitors
2) Set launch options to "Run as administrator", and disabled the various effects options
3) Plugged in/unplugged USB devices
4) Reinstalled ATI drivers
5) Reinstalled DirectX
6) Downloaded a default settings.dat
7) Set Steam to launch game as "defaults"
8) Reinstalled the game itself
9) Plugged in/unplugged a gamepad

Probably a few other things as well, and of course combinations of all those above too.

None of that worked. It still always crashes on new game.

I would appreciate guidance on how to fix this. I have Googled the problem many times, and followed a variety of other suggestions (as you can see above).

I also sent a support request to THQ. They responded by telling me I've already tried everything they'd tell me to do anyway so they didn't know what to do.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
IdolNinja

Unplugging usb devices may not be enough if your keyboard has programmable keys. With Saitek keyboards, the programmable part is usually listed as HID-Compliant Game Controller, but may also be listed as simply an HID-compliant device or USB Input Device. A good test would be to run sr2 and immediately unplug your keyboard using a 360 controller to navigate the menus and start a new game.

The only other thing I can think of is that it is a Direct X problem when the cutscene initializes. Did you install Powertools? That directly hooks Direct X and may be the problem. If so, you could test by deleting the DxFreezerServer.dll symbolic link it created in your sr2 install folder.
IdolNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
AH1

Thanks for the suggestions. However, I do not own a 360 controller, and although I've tried to emulate my generic PC controller, those emulation drivers do not work with SR2, so my controller does not function. The only reason I have it plugged in is because if I do not plug it in, I get the main screen scrolling error.

As for my keyboard, that too is a dead end, mostly because I cannot control anything on the menu without my keyboard. I'm using a Logitech keyboard which does have limited programability.

I am also not running any mods.
AH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
AH1

Okay, I have solved the problem after a month of working on it. The problem seems to be related to the menu scroll issue which is in turn related to how the game handles controller detection. To solve the problem, I downloaded a program called Xbox360 CE, which is a program that emulates 360 settings for non-360 controllers or your keyboard. That fixed it, and now I can play!

I hope this helps others in the same situation. IdolNinja, you might want to look into this yourself to update your FAQ for troubleshooting. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
Zidders

How do you get it to work, tho? I tried adding the files to my game directory but didn't notice a difference. Sorry for the derp, but think you could outline the steps for me (and where to dl the exact files? Your links didn't specify) i'd really appreciate the help.

Just wish I could keep it from stuttering.
Zidders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
AH1

No problem. First we need to make sure we are having the same problem, it is possible we have similar symptoms but two different root causes. So, assuming we do, here is what I did:

1) Download XBox360 CE (I'm not sure I'm allowed to post a link to such software, but you can find it doing a Google search. It is available from a Google user group.)
2) Place x360ce.exe INTO your Saints Row 2 folder, the same place the sr2_pc.exe is, which is usually %/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Saints Row 2.
3) Run the program, it will create two files--an .ini and a .dll.
4) After the program runs, close it, plug in your controller, then open it again. It will ask to go online to determine the settings for your game or to locate them on your machine. Allow it to search online. If it doesn't search online, make sure you have the options set to do so. If, for some reason it can't find the settings online, the site where you got the program has a database of settings files you can download manually.
5) After the settings are found, hit save and exit the program. It is not necessary to have it running in the background.
6) Run SR2.

That's what I did exactly. I also had the program running in windowed as part of my attempt to solve it before using Xbox360CE. So, you may want to try that too, but it may be unnecessary.

Hope that helps and works for you.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Zidders

Actually, it helped with the oversteering even without a controller. Subtle change, but I noticed when driving a Bootlegger, instead of swinging wide to the right or left at the pressing of a key, it turned a fraction of that. I have to press the scroll key any time I enter a car, tho.

The only problem i'm having with the game is the stuttering. None of the fixes work. So thank you so much for this info.
Zidders is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Saints Row 2