Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Two Worlds

Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Corrodias

launching DX10 version via shortcut

When you use a shortcut in the style of "steam://" or "Steam.exe -applaunch 7520", Steam automatically launches the DX9 version of TW2. Even running the DX10 executable on its own causes Steam to run the DX9 version.

I can get it to use the DX10 version by removing the DX9 executable and replacing it with a copy of the DX10 executable, but this isn't exactly ideal. Is there a more reliable, future-proof way?

The reason i'm doing this is so i can raise the process priority via batch file rather than manually doing so each time i launch the game.

Another thread covered this (without resolution), but rather than revive an old one, as seems so unpopular with forum users, i make this new one!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
JoeSlow

I launch mine with the shortcut to "F:\Steam\steamapps\common\two worlds ii\TwoWorlds2_DX10.exe"
I always thought this would launch the DX10-Version. How do I see which version is actually launched?

Last edited by JoeSlow: 09-30-2011 at 09:29 AM.
JoeSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Corrodias

Once the game is running, you can check your task manager or process explorer to see which executable is actually running. I end up with TwoWorlds2.exe if i manually run TwoWorlds2_DX10.exe.

Also, there seems to be a texture bug with my drivers, because the DX9 version is mostly black, so it's pretty obvious on my system when it loads the wrong one. But looking at the process should work on any system.

Last edited by Corrodias: 09-30-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Corrodias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:03 AM   #4
JoeSlow

Confirmed:
Same behavior on my system.

But when I start TW2 by right clicking the steam icon in the systray I get the dialog box where I can select and run the DX10 version.
JoeSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
Corrodias

Of course, it'd be pretty slick if Steam let you launch games with increased process priority. I imagine that's something a fair number of people would appreciate.
Corrodias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
Naota

I'd like to launch in DX10 from a shortcut too.

Has anyone figured out how to do this? I've tried a couple of things, but they don't work.
Naota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
NebulousNite

launching DX10 version

I've been wondering about this. When I launch TW2 via steam, it gives me two choices:
"Play Two Worlds II" or
"Two Worlds II (DirectX 10)"

I've been selecting to launch the DirectX 10, as I assume better graphics, but when it launches, I first get two error beeps, but then it launches, I've been assuming it launches DX 10 version, and it might be my imagination, but the graphics seem better. Guess I'll have to try it both ways and check the processes running?
NebulousNite is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Two Worlds