Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Front Mission Evolved

Old 01-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Sweetz

My thoughts as a previous sale purchaser

Fair warning for anyone tempted by the Daily. I bought Front Mission: Evolved when it was a Daily back in 2/2011 for $12.50, and to this day it probably remains the worst sale purchase I've made, despite that being less than I pay for lunch most days.

In general, the game feels horrendously dated - like the developers had been locked in a closet since the PS2 came out. It's not just a matter of graphics (which don't even compare favorably to 360 launch titles); the gameplay is clunky, unengaging, and tied together by story that's representative of bad 90's anime. It plays like any formulaic vehicle shooter from the PS1/PS2 era - a lot of static enemies, a lot of tiresome, pattern based boss fights, a lot of circle strafe while holding down the triggers. Action games have moved beyond this design standard.

To be fair, I'm not saying it's a 1 out of 10 or what have you. It's just that it's so overwhelmingly blah that it's not worth playing; there are better things to spend time on. That said, the mech combat genre has been pretty much nonexistent on PC for the last few years, and if you really, really need a mech fix right now, you might find some fun here; but most likely it will just leave you wishing for a properly good mech combat game.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
ChocoBalls

Banned
Yup, the game is horrible. Horrible controls, horrible animations, horrible story, horrible combat. I was expecting Armored Core and got Robot Jox instead.

Stay far away from FME.
ChocoBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
The37Monkeys

What I really didn't like about this game was that the machines felt so light. There's no weight behind your movement or impacts. Like you're not in a giant metal robot but actually a smurf inside a plastic transformer.

I honestly expect pattern based boss fights and other simplistic stuff from action games for consoles, and I don't mind that if I can be immersed in the look, feel and sound of the game, sadly I'm not in this one.

I was genuinely looking forward to this game when I first heard about it and picked it up but just didn't feel it. Just too arcade. Needs a lot of physics work.
The37Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Chetyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The37Monkeys View Post
What I really didn't like about this game was that the machines felt so light. There's no weight behind your movement or impacts. Like you're not in a giant metal robot but actually a smurf inside a plastic transformer.
Such a shame, since the old front mission games were so good about that. This game was such a disappointment compared to the others.
Chetyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
steventura

You're giving Devs ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The37Monkeys View Post
Like you're not in a giant metal robot but actually a smurf inside a plastic transformer.
Do they have that somewhere? Maybe Capcom? Interesting....
steventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
dark_surge

My only major complaints with the game are the story, which seems like it was written and acted by people rejected for Troma films (a.k.a. Troma films have better writing and acting than this game), the controls in the first person sections of the game, and the skating controls in the mech.

Also, I'm not sure if I was playing the game wrong but it seemed like the best way to go through the first 3/4+ of the game was to just equip missiles and bombard every enemy with them, only relying on melee and shotguns to take out any enemies that come too close. That's okay though for this game because I never got tired of how cool the missiles looked as they were sailing through the air. Not being able to disable specific parts on boss mechs was a downer for me too...Or at least I was never able to.

Either way, the cool looking missiles and the adequately entertaining mech battles is what kept me playing through to the end. Weird reasons, I know. Still, I wish there would have been more weapon options when it came to efficiently destroying mechs. I had a bit of fun sniping, but always would end up reverting back to missile barrages.

Aaanyways, the moral of this story is: Don't feel bad...I had this pre-ordered and paid full price.
dark_surge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Front Mission Evolved