Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > New Users / Training

Old 01-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Try Hard Spy :)

Cool "Newbies" Guide to Trading

First Guide!
If you're experienced in the trading business, I don't believe this guide would be for you, but read on anyways. [warning] this guide may suck lol xD

Hey Everyone. Just a quick question, are you new to the trading business? Just got premium and want to try trading? Don't know what people mean by 1.33 ref and all of that stuff? Want to know what are unusuals and how to earn them by trading? This guide is for you.

As a new/noob player myself, I've been wondering ever since I got into the trading business. How do people get so much metal, weapons, and cool hats? What can I do to earn those things? There are a lot of things to watch out for and in this guide I will teach you all the basics to get started in the trading business.

Chapter 1: Getting Started

Some of you may ask, how do I earn those cool hats and new weapons?

Usually, people start out scrapbanking. Scrapbankers/people who scrapbank are the types of traders who sell 1 scrap for 2 weapons, whether it's in the same class or not. To gain profit from this, scrapbankers sell their scrap for 2 weapons, then sell those weapons for 1 scrap each. As you move on, selling scrap for 2 weapons and selling those weapons for a scrap each, you'll eventually get enough for clean hats.To know more about the difference between clean and dirty hats, go to chapter 2: ethics/things to know Try to buy clean hats for as cheap as you can. Then resell them for a higher price that is not too overpriced. You could also try trading in one clean hat for 2 clean hats if the trader really likes the hat you're selling. Now, as you progress through the trading business, gaining more metal and hats, you can buy these items called keys. Keys are used to buy expensive items like hats called BILLS and BUDS. BILLS and BUDS are used to buy the unusual hats. After gaining a certain amount, you eventually can buy your own unusual hat. That's it for this chapter.

Chapter 2: Ethics/Things to know

1) Scrapbanker - Someone who sells scrap for 2 weapons.
2) Scrapbanking - The doing so of selling scrap for 2 weapons.
3) Clean Hat - A craftable hat used for crafting to use to craft other hats. (EX: 2 Hats crafted make a really cool hat)
4) Dirty Hat - Hats that are not craftable. (These are worth much less than clean hats.)
5) Clean Weapons - Weapons able to be crafted and make other stuff. (EX: Weapons, Metal, Hats)
6) Dirty Weapons - Weapons that are not craftable. (Worth about the same as Clean Weapons)
7) Lowballer - someone who tries to give you a really low price for something.
8) Highballer - someone who tries to give you a really high price for something.

That's it for this chapter.

Chapter 3: Metal and Metal References

Now, you're in the trading business, but don't know what 2.33 ref or 1.22 rec means?
In this chapter, I'll be teaching you the different kinds of metal and the calculations/references.
There are 3 types of metal:
1) Scrap Metal (Being the Lowest)
2) Reclaimed Metal (Being the medium)
3) Refined Metal (Being the Highest)
To make these metal:
1) Scrap Metal - Smelt 2 Weapons or Give 2 weapons to a scrapbanker for 1 scrap.
2) Reclaimed Metal - Crafted by 3 scrap or bought from weapons, hats, etc.
3) Refined Metal - Crafted by 3 reclaimed or bought from weapons, hats, etc.
Calculations/References:
This may be very confusing. So, pay attention!
Many people selling hats or weapons will say something like...
"Selling 2 Hats for 2.33 ref" If you've just started the trading business, this would make no sense.
Now let's break this down.
Ref and rec are just abbreviations for Refined Metal and Reclaimed Metal.
If the whole number is 2, that means they want 2 Refined for the hats.
The .33 would be 1 reclaimed. Now if they want "2.66 ref," the .66 would be 2 reclaimed and so on.
If the trader would happen to change his mind and want "2.44 ref," The 2 would represent 2 refined, and the .44 would represent 1 reclaimed and 1 scrap. This may still be tricky but you'll get the hang of it.

Now for reclaimed metal, it's the same thing, but a little different.
For example, a trader wants to sell a strange weapon for "1.33 rec"
The 1 in "1.33" would represent 1 reclaimed. The .33 in "1.33" would represent 1 scrap and so on. I do not believe there is a 1.44, 1.55, 1.77, or 1.88 in reclaimed. I believe that is only used in refined metal.

So yeah, that's the end for this chapter.

Chapter 4: The Art Of Patience
Now, you probably have most things done know, but not getting a lot of people to trade you?
There's only one thing in successing in the trading business. YOU NEED TO HAVE PATIENCE. Patience is the key to the trading business. If you lack in this, you might as well say goodbye to trading. Just Kidding. It helps if you have patience with trading. Who knows, you might fish out a good deal. Remember, to always have patience while trading.

That's it for this chapter guys. I will be adding more.

Chapter 5: Pricing Guide & How to Use It

You guys may wonder, how do people get their prices from?
Well they get it from many sources, but the main source people use is the TF2 Spreadsheet.
The Link is below.

http://tf2spreadsheet.blogspot.com

If you're confused about finding the price, it shows on the estimated ref part, basically the 2nd tab/column.
Sorry on not explaining this much. Remember this, the prices shown are only an average price. Also, they change frequently.

That's it for this chapter guys [
Comment below if you think I should add more in a certain chapter or change anything.

Last edited by Try Hard Spy :): 01-18-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #2

So Yeah Guys, if you want me to add anything, like make a new chapter; Tell Me!

I'll be happy to add it in.
Try Hard Spy :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
Lixin

Should give the prices of common things and the art of patience.
Lixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
wazdakka

Banned
how much does an item beindg dirty affect it, i.e lets say dues psecs, which are a higly desired item
wazdakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lixin View Post
Should give the prices of common things and the art of patience.
I'll add that in.
Prices for common things would go in chapter 2.
Art of patience would be a new chapter.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazdakka View Post
how much does an item beindg dirty affect it, i.e lets say dues psecs, which are a higly desired item
Well if it's dirty, it's not craftable. Most people want it craftable because they are able to craft with it.
If you were going to make scrap metal from your weapons, they would have to be clean to craft them. Also, for hats, if you wanted to craft 2 hats for 1 hat, those 2 hats would have to be clean.
Now, I believe this is how being a dirty item could be worth lower than a clean item.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
CommanderDude7

Ha you made the guide for new traders! Ill send them over here instead of explaining now.
CommanderDude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
thomasroorda

Solid guide!
thomasroorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasroorda View Post
Solid guide!
Thanks!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #10

Added in Chapter 4: The Art of Patience.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
Tito Shivan

Nice guide there!... Have some well deserved rep

May i suggest a future chapter dealing with security issues and scams when trading?
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
CommanderDude7

One thing I feel might need addressing is the spreadsheet and how to use it. Also perhaps links to TF2 outpost and trading post .
CommanderDude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderDude7 View Post
One thing I feel might need addressing is the spreadsheet and how to use it. Also perhaps links to TF2 outpost and trading post .
Sure. I'll put that in.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito Shivan View Post
Nice guide there!... Have some well deserved rep

May i suggest a future chapter dealing with security issues and scams when trading?
I'll talk about it.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #15
MiNiMooSey

Very helpful. Thank you!
MiNiMooSey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > New Users / Training