Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Space Trader: Merchant Marine

Old 01-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
g051051

Not recommended

This is a pretty bad game. I'm glad I only paid for it during the Steam sale, I'd have been pretty angry if I bought it for full price. Gameplay is erratic, with weird shooter elements (due to its Quake III engine heritage) as well as incomprehensible missions with objectives that aren't fully explained. The company seems to have vanished from the earth, so don't look for help, upgrades, or anything else.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
twincannon

Pretty much the strangest game of all time. An economic space sim game... that has, uh, WoW quests? And dumps you in FPS deathmatch arenas sometimes.

... O_O

By far the worst part is that it doesn't save anything between "challenges". I mean the whole point of a game with any semblance of "sim" mechanics is building your resources up.
twincannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
cutterjohn

I always thought that it was obvious from it's release that it was e. Could've been good, but apparently it was meant as a pure money grab rather than a nice indie game with at least a modicum of depth.
cutterjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #4
Pandor29

yeah, bad game:/ X3: Terran conflict is way better. Hard has hell to get the hang of it, but it is what this game promised it was:/
Pandor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:38 AM   #5
lobski

I for one, enjoyed the game rather well. The "trade" gameplay portion reminded me of the addictive times I've had with old games like Drug Wars and such. The exploration aspect was enjoyable too.

The FPS parts I didn't care for too much, since they were too easy. But I did enjoy "looting" during these FPS parts.

I like to think of it as an adventure/trade game, with a FPS minigame.
lobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
brataccas

Banned
Talking

does the game creators have an offical webpage? cant seem to find one, I love this game, its got a weird retro feel to it, odd music. I fall in love with quirky games like this easy
brataccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
parela

it is a big xD
parela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #8
Just Arthur

Was thinking of buying that this game when browsing through the games under 4 pounds.
It sounds a bit like Mass Effect 1 with strategy elements to me. Space exploring and FPS, seems like nothing can go wrong. (and steam achievements as well!!!)

But reading all the negative comments put me off buying this game.
Just Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #9
mikey_dacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Arthur View Post
Was thinking of buying that this game when browsing through the games under 4 pounds.
It sounds a bit like Mass Effect 1 with strategy elements to me. Space exploring and FPS, seems like nothing can go wrong. (and steam achievements as well!!!)

But reading all the negative comments put me off buying this game.
HEEEEEEEEEEY TRADERRRRRRRRRRRRR

Don't be too discouraged. It's fun for what it is- an addictive space trading/shootan type game. It's not at all as immersive or complex or as detailed and vunderbar as Mass Effect and what have you, but it's a nice little indie product, nonetheless.

Sure, the graphics are dated, the voice acting dismal and the gameplay, in a word, derivative, but it's a solid, playable and addictive game.

It's obviously a budget title and you can tell that the developers probably weren't all that experienced... but what it lacks in sophistication, it more than makes up for in heart- and fun.

Just don't take is so serious. It's definitely worth the super-low price.

Woo!

I'd like to try out the co-op mode, but nobody is ever online.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
jardail

Seen enough

One thing I like about steam is the quick ability to find the general feel of a game prior to buying it. After reading this, I've saved 4.99 and alot disk space and aggravation.
jardail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
lobski

Quote:
Originally Posted by jardail View Post
One thing I like about steam is the quick ability to find the general feel of a game prior to buying it. After reading this, I've saved 4.99 and alot disk space and aggravation.

It's worth the $10 I spent it on. Your loss.
lobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
EvilDastard

I enjoyed it. It's definitely not a AAA title, but it's an entertaining sort of throwback to those old space-trader games.
I agree the FPS bits are pretty bad, but I mostly just ignored that since most of the FPS stuff is optional.
EvilDastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #13
brataccas

Banned
Red face

well got an urge to play this again so reinstalling, not even completed it yet! I love when you do fighting missions you have to sneak and hide round enemy areas then wait for health boosts before enemy picks them up, so fun
brataccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
Substar

Its a fun and interesting game. A mish mash of FPS and trading and traditional questing. It gets repetitive after a while but for $5 I think I definitely got my money's worth and Im only halfway through the game.
Substar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
Merovign

I like it but not a lot. Definitely a $5 game. Fun for relatively short play to occupy you when you're bored, the kind of game you may obsessively play for a few days and then ignore for a year, so not worth more than a movie or anything. I like the trading and exploring but the FPS is weak and only has two settings - easy or impossible.

If it had more of an "open world" feel to it, and a little more variety, you could play it a lot more. It's pretty much an "old school" game anyway so don't compare it to newer games directly. Weak voice acting, some missions not explained well, no separate journal just a "news" page with sometimes inadequate descriptions.

It is dying to be re-made into a *great* game, but not popular enough to justify re-using the name or making a sequel. X3 needs a simpler cousin - a re-make of this could be it. Sort of like a casual space trading game.
Merovign is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Space Trader: Merchant Marine