Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Pirates!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
Weaselteats

A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (Sid Meier's Pira

I just bought and installed Sid Meier's Pirates, on a Vista Home Premium system, and got the following error immediately after the opening two movies, as soon as the "Pirates: Live the Life" title screen shows up:

Quote:
Sid Meier's Pirates! has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
I checked the event logger and it appears to have a problem with DWM.

Quote:
Information 6/10/2010 11:05:17 PM Desktop Window Manager 9010 None
A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (Sid Meier's Pirates!)

Information 6/10/2010 11:05:17 PM Desktop Window Manager 9013 None
The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application

Error 6/10/2010 11:05:21 PM Application Error 1000 (100)
The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application

Information 6/10/2010 11:05:26 PM Windows Error Reporting 1001 None
Fault bucket 457995014, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: None
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Pirates!.exe
P2: 1.0.2.0
P3: 44e1234b
P4: Pirates!.exe
P5: 1.0.2.0
P6: 44e1234b
P7: c0000005
P8: 000e3f6d
P9:
P10:
I did some research online and this problem has been reported with other applications, and the workaround is to go into the properties of the executable and disable desktop composition on the Compatibility tab. I've done that with both steam.exe and the pirates.exe and it has not resolved the issue.

My system does have the .DLLs listed in the sticky at the top of the forum, and I copied them to the Pirates directory, but that didn't do anything either.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Col. Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselteats View Post
I just bought and installed Sid Meier's Pirates, on a Vista Home Premium system, and got the following error immediately after the opening two movies, as soon as the "Pirates: Live the Life" title screen shows up:

I checked the event logger and it appears to have a problem with DWM.

I did some research online and this problem has been reported with other applications, and the workaround is to go into the properties of the executable and disable desktop composition on the Compatibility tab. I've done that with both steam.exe and the pirates.exe and it has not resolved the issue.

My system does have the .DLLs listed in the sticky at the top of the forum, and I copied them to the Pirates directory, but that didn't do anything either.
disable the overlay
Col. Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
ryan_kid

How do you disable the overlay? Having this exact same problem.

EDIT: I disabled the Overlay and have disabled all executables relating to Pirates. Still no luck. Is there an actual fix for this?

Last edited by ryan_kid: 12-19-2011 at 12:32 PM.
ryan_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
gamer_x

Try to run in Admin and/or win xp compatibility mode
gamer_x is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Pirates!