Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Beyond Good & Evil

Old 12-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #106
johnnypalooza

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeTard View Post
lol. You're funny. Makes me happy that game developers don't rely on opinions of only people like you anyhow. While Goldeneye 007 was a great game, I don't want all my games to be level-based. I feel that most games that are level-based are so incredibly linear by their base design that they bore me. While everyone has a right to their opinion, you should seriously reconsider that there is no one "winning formula" and that there will always be people that completely disagree. If there was only one winning formula, every other shooter/espionage game would have fallen by the wayside by now. I'm just wondering why if HL2 was such a boring and crappy game why Episode 3 is one of the most highly anticipated PC games to-date?
Call of Duty franchise = "winning formula" in terms of sales and players. People eat that up. My brother has been glued to Black Ops zombie mode for a week now with rotating groups of friends coming over to play the game with him.

Ultimately, the "winning formula" stands for two different things: what sells and what is a great game. We can measure both. Measuring sales is self explanatory, so I won't comment on that.

Critical consensus can help us measure what makes a great game. Half-Life 2 didn't get a metascore of 96 by being bad. That said, I've met people who didn't think it was that good.

On the subject of metascores--and critics in general--everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, being a critic is different that simply having an opinion. Roger Ebert said of film criticism something to the effect of: a critic's job is to encourage great films and discourage bad ones. It's the same for video game critics. A critic may not personally like a game that much; but they have a responsibility to encourage great games and discourage bad ones.
johnnypalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #107
MauroR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_crab142 View Post
when you read the title of this game Beyond Good and Evil it amkes you think. It makes you think about things liek dragons verse knights and evil wizards verse good wizards.

But then I bought the game LOL it was bad. Not so good at all.

Didn't live up to my expectatiosn at all.

Don't buy it.
You're a . Nothing to add.
MauroR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #108
ganner23

The fact is that with a title like that, one could have expected a nice scenario, cool revelations and a story that avoid being dualistic.

Instead you have a scenario with good guys and bad guys, gratuitiously agressive aliens, people who rebel against the government because of two or three bad pictures and some articles seemingly written by a four-year old, the unavoidable moment where the main character, as any good female character, cry and despair (we avoided the shower though) and the usual happy ending where everybody's happy (But wait... oO Three more seconds after the credits to show there will be a sequel ! Never seen before.)
Conclusion : lots of clichés, no other surprise that when you discover you bought a crap and an incredibly short game at that (one small city, three dungeons...)

Not many games disapointed me like this one. The worst thing is that the gameplay is actually very nice. It means it could have been a very good game !
ganner23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:24 AM   #109
Me2nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_crab142 View Post
So who agress with me?
I don't, and you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who does. I played this game back on the Gamecube and loved it, and would love to play it again if I had cash to spare (which I don't).
Me2nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #110
liquid_courage

Such an awesome, and yet slept-on game. It's a shame Ubisoft hasn't come out with games of this quality since the early 2000s. Beyond Good and Evil is easily one of the best action games I have played. The fighting is surprisingly fluid, and the game is pretty absorbing... from my first boss fight on, i was hooked. The environment and characters are pretty distinct, and if there's one thing this game has in spades, it's personality. whether or not you get this game, it's really a gem compared to some of the triple a dreck that comes out on a regular basis. That's not to say this game doesn't have it's faults - the finally boss is really easy, a lot of the collecting in this game is pointless, and the ending of the game was a bit weak, story-wise. But at the end of the day, Beyond Good and Evil is a hell of a lot more memorable for its style than anything else. And that's not a bad thing, not in the least.
liquid_courage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #111
mynameiszach

Let me guess... your favorite game is Call of Duty (not the old good ones, the new ones)? I suspect that you are in elemantary school for picking a game soley on the cool title and what you THOUGHT the game would be like. Steam clearly gives you multiple screenshots and trailers, as well as demos sometimes. This, to this day, is one of my favorive games of all time.
mynameiszach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #112
Edeslash

The first post was posted in 2008. By the way.
Edeslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #113
lostatsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edeslash View Post
The first post was posted in 2008. By the way.
And it's still hilarious!!! amirite!?
lostatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #114
kitekrazy

and it's still a great game!
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #115
Totalitator

I got this game on GameCube when it came out after reading some online reviews that said it hadn't sold well and needed support because of how awesome it was. It was difficult to time because stores already didn't stock a lot of GC games, but I did finally track down a copy for the bargain bin price of $19.99 (truly at the time). I thought it was fantastic. I never finished it though. I guess it does have some flaws here and there but it was a good game, and it still looks good today many years later.
Totalitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #116
cakefish

* good title, great game.
cakefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #117
craftyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyunk View Post
Does anyone of you have an idea of which game I should get next? Adventure/Puzzle genre AND cheap.
Portal.
craftyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #118
crack0dile

not really impressed so far... and lol @ spuf logic, criticizing a game = troll, automatically a "cod player", etc
crack0dile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #119
kitekrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crack0dile View Post
not really impressed so far... and lol @ spuf logic, criticizing a game = troll, automatically a "cod player", etc
It started out for me that way. I bought is as part of an Ubi Soft collection. It was one of the last games I decided to play. I started liking it a lot more.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #120
mouton

The OP is obviously confused about many things.

But I do agree with the thread title. The title of the game implies moral ambiguity whereas it offers utterly predictable black-and-white story, with lots of pretentious. Gameplay is nothing special while the characters are uninteresting and annoying. Oh, and it is a poor old port.
mouton is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Beyond Good & Evil