Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 07-13-2011, 05:58 AM   #136
1choice

this thread needs to be unstickied and a new one for 2011 be made.
Seriously

firewall = comodo firewall (it also has a sandbox too)
antivirus = malwarebyte's antimalware + microsoft security essentials + superantispyware and anything else that is highly reccomended.

browsers need to be here now too, as so much dangerous stuff is coming through them now.
if running firefox install noscript + ghostery + betterprivacy.

security is hardware software and wetware.
we are 70+% water.
1choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #137
Somewhat49

I use Sandboxie right now to make sure I don't accedently pick up something on the internet. What it does is forms like a barrier btwn you and the website you are looking at. And if it tries to attack you Sandboxie will tell you immedietly and prevent it.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #138
DotS

I don't know what you are expecting, there are entire books about computer security. Do you really want that in a single topic? Nobody would ever read that. I actually think many people won't even read this one and just think tl;dr, it seems a bit oddly structured too (kinda bad text formatting imo).

But yes, there's a few missing things, also I wonder why AV products are recommended, but not entire security suites. On the other hand, I'm sure you're welcome to go ahead and write a guide yourself.
DotS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #139
codsniper_01

If their not here, add Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware
Hooray for free security!
codsniper_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #140
Zampatto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
Mkay's common sense guide to Computer Security:
Those two words can mean the life or death of your Steam account. I've created this guide in an effort to educate the forums about computer security, and provide the tools needed to protect yourself and your computer.

What is Computer Security?
Basically, it's a branch of computers which deals with how vulnerable you and your computer are against Virii, trojans, keyloggers, hackers, and data theft. :P

Two types of computer security:
There are two types of computer security, Hardware and Software.

Hardware security:
What is it? Essentially, it is a piece of hardware that intercepts incoming connections and checks them to make sure that they are not intended for malicious acts. A good example of this would be a router with a firewall.

+Firewalls:
You may be saying, wtf is a firewall? A firewall can be either hardware-based or software-based. Either way, they both serve the same function. Firewalls are designed and configured to regulate the flow of internet traffic to a computer, based on the properties of the traffic. For example, if someone tried to scan your system for open ports (think of ports as windows), the firewall would kick in, automatically intercept that packet and drop it from the network. In essence, it's like the gate/moat to a castle OR in HL2 Terms, the gigantic wall around the Combine Citadel . These firewalls usually run for around 30$. Here is an example of a hardware based firewall.

+Software-based firewalls:
There are software-based firewalls on the market too. Windows even comes with its own built-in firewall. This can be accessed by going to:

Start -> Control Panel -> Security Center

A software firewall is the exact same thing as a hardware firewall, BUT, it is stored on the user's system rather than a piece of external hardware. Think of them as the Knights in the castle OR in HL2 Terms , the Combine Soldiers in the citadel. They work to repulse threats that may have penetrated through the first line of defense. Windows comes with one, but you can buy your own. A popular choice is ZoneAlarm.

Software-based Security and exploits:
In this section, I will talk about ways to secure your computer through the use of Software. I've already covered firewalls, so here, I will talk about anti-virus software, spyware, keyloggers, and the like.

Viruses:
Undoubtably, you've heard of computer viruses wreaking havoc on other people's computers. Just what is a virus? It is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer without permission or knowledge of the
user.

Viruses can be spread in the following ways:

-Downloading and executing attachments from email files that are sent by unknown persons.

-Downloading and running files from dodgy websites (i.e. skin packs, programs) without virus scanning them first.

-Some viruses can infect your computer, stay in memory, and infect other disks (Such as floppies/usb drives). pc game store onlinecdkeyseller.com.

Viruses cannot be spread in the following ways:

-Downloading models/sounds/skins from a Counterstrike server or any server for that matter.

-Be transferred from one player to another in a server.

Keyloggers:
Keyloggers are programs that run in the background without your permission, and log every keystroke that you make. Keyloggers may be spread in the following ways:

-The same ways that viruses can.

-A hacker can invade your system and install one without your knowledge.

Keyloggers cannot be spread through any game servers or from player to player.

Trojans:
Trojans are programs that are designed to install malicious software while disgusing themselves to look like a harmless piece of software. Trojan horses must be executed in order to infect a computer. Their actions can range from installing a virus or keylogger to opening ports, to changing your homepage. They can be spread in the ways listed above under the virus section.As per keyloggers, they cannot be spread in-game in any way, shape, or form.

Spyware:

Undoubtably, you've also heard of spyware. It's quite a big thing in the news. Spyware is a program which secretly records a computer user by capturing all keystrokes, websites visited, and chat conversations. You may be thinking, "Isn't that what a virus/keylogger does?"The answer is yes but with one key difference. Spyware is installed without the user's informed consent. What is "informed consent"? It means you install the spyware without actually knowing that it is spyware. It may be disguised as a browser helper (BonzaiBUDDY is a good example), or a program (SpySheriff). Both of these programs decieve the user and record certain browsing activites. The difference between spyware and trojans is that spyware doesn't necessarily destroy your data or replicate itself. It just makes your computing experience much worse.

Things spyware may do to lower your computing experience:

-Change your browser homepage to something else (commonly advertisements).

-Constantly display popups which contain ads.

-Consume valuable system resources.

-Report your activites to a website for data collection.

-Annoy the living crap out of you .

+How to protect yourself:
Whew! That was a lot of writing . In this subsection, I will show you how to protect yourself from the various baddies on the internet. The first thing you should always do, is make sure windows is fully updated. This is crucial when securing your computer as Microsoft occasionally sends out patches. The SECOND thing you should do is:

-Never open up email attachments from people you do not know.

-Do not use pirated software (this should be a given.)

-Don't go to dodgy websites (I.E. Websites that offer you free CD-Keys and the like)

-DO NOT FALL VICTIM TO SOCIAL ENGINEERING! (I will add this in when I get the chance).

I will try my best to provide links to free tools, but if anyone else knows of any I've missed, just let me know :P.

Anti-virus software:
The best defense against viruses is a good anti-virus program. These programs have a list of virus definitions which they compare scanned files against. If any part of the file's code matches a definition, it is flagged as infected. For more info on how Anti-Virus software works, click this link. You should run a virus scan on your PC every three days or at the bare minimum, every week.

Free anti-virus software:
-AVG antivirus software

-A comprehensive list of free anti-virus software. [Thanks Artic Ice!]

Commercial Anti-Virus Software:
-McAfee AntiVirus

-TrendMicro AV.
-Nod32AV[Thanks Sportzfr3ak9]

(Remember, this list is in no way complete, let me know if you've found more)

Anti-Spyware programs:
Anti-spyware programs work the same way that Anti-virus software does. For more info on anti-spyware software visit this link. Here are some links to

Free anti-spyware programs:
-Ad-Aware anti-spyware. *It's on the right side*.

-Microsoft's own Windows Defender.

-TrendSecure's Hijackthis .

Commercial Anti-Spyware Software:
-WebRoot SpySweeper.

-A thread by qUiCkSiLvEr with some great resources.

-kldetector. A program which scans for keyloggers running in memory (ty bltsponger!).

<SEE POST #3 FOR PASSWORD PROTECTION AND SOCIAL ENGINEERING>
Very helpful. Thanks for the share
Old 08-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #141
stranger35

Anti-virus software:
The best defense against viruses is a good anti-virus program. These programs have a list of virus definitions which they compare scanned files against. If any part of the file's code matches a definition, it is flagged as infected. For more info on how Anti-Virus software works, click this link. You should run a virus scan on your PC every three days or at the bare minimum, every week.

Free anti-virus software:
-AVG antivirus software

-Avast Antivirus Software

-AVIRA anti-virus.

Strange.....as i have had problems here with NO games working anymore, and was pointed here:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...9828-SFLZ-9289

What i am seeing here is that i cannot use:

Avast!
AVG Anti-virus *
BitDefender
F-Secure
Iobit Advanced System Care *
Kaspersky Anti-virus
McAfee Anti-virus
Nod32 Anti-virus *
Norton/Symantec Anti-virus
Panda Anti-virus
Threatfire
Trend Micro
VIGuard Anti-virus

Anti-Spyware Applications

Ad Aware
CA Pest Patrol
PC Tools Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus (may need to disable Full-Screen detection in the Advanced settings)
Spybot Search & Destroy
Spycatcher Express
Spyware Terminator
Webroot Spy Sweeper *

Firewall/Security Applications

CA Internet Security Suite
Comodo (With Portal 2 running the firewall in Defense+ in training mode allows the game to run)
CYBERsitter
ESET Smart Security
Netlimiter
McAfee Personal Firewall
Nvidia Network Access Manager/Firewall *
Nvidia ForceWare Intelligent Application Manager
Outpost Firewall (Disabling System Guard under Proactive Protection allows Portal 2 to run)
Panda Internet Security
Peer Guardian
PeerBlock
Tiny Personal Firewall
Verizon Internet Security Suite
Zone Alarm
Constant Guard by Comcast
Online Armor

Other Applications

IOBit Advance System Care
Airfoil
Alcohol 120%
AOLacsd.exe (AOL connection driver)
ATI Hotkey Poller
ATI Tray Tools
BitTorrent/uTorrent (all clients)
Creative Software (Alchemy, MediaSource 5 on Asus G60VX models specifcally)
Catalyst AI
Daemon Tools
Download Accelerators (all clients)
EVGA Precision
Garfield Daily Desktop Comic
GhostSurf 2007
Google Toolbar, Google Updater
GSC
Hamachi
K-Lite Codec Pack
LimeWire, BearShare or other Peer 2 Peer applications
LogMeIn
Microsoft Screen Magnifier in Windows 7 (magnify.exe - may cause in-game cursor issues)
MSI Afterburner
nProtect GameGuard *
PC Time Limit
StarDock KeepSafe
SteamWatch
iolo System Mechanic
TeamSpeak (can lead to mic issues)
Total Recorder
Tuneup WinStyler Theme Service
UPEK Protector Suite
Ventrilo (can lead to mic issues)
VirtuaGirl 2
Western Digital Backup Anywhere
Whitesmoke Translator (may cause the Source engine to crash)
WindowBlinds
Xfire

So make up your mind. Am i missing something?

I use AVG and some others on this list. I'll be damned if I'm going to uninstall it for steams scamming pleasure.
stranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #142
jmmL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1choice View Post
this thread needs to be unstickied and a new one for 2011 be made.
Seriously

firewall = comodo firewall (it also has a sandbox too)
antivirus = malwarebyte's antimalware + microsoft security essentials + superantispyware and anything else that is highly reccomended.

browsers need to be here now too, as so much dangerous stuff is coming through them now.
if running firefox install noscript + ghostery + betterprivacy.

security is hardware software and wetware.
we are 70+% water.
Agree with this. A new one needs to be written. MSE much more useful, less intrusive and less resource intensive than AVG et al.

Also, the section on social engineering needs be expanded/written. This is probably the most common threat.
jmmL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #143
n-Bit

You should add ComboFix to the list of Tools.

Description from the website:

ComboFix is a program, created by sUBs, that scans your computer for known malware, and when found, attempts to clean these infections automatically. In addition to being able to remove a large amount of the most common and current malware, ComboFix also displays a report that can be used by trained helpers to remove malware that is not automatically removed by the program.

Please note that running this program without supervision can cause your computer to not operate correctly. Therefore only run this program at the request of an experienced helper.
n-Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #144
alch3my

Hmm, Maybe you should forward this thread onto valve ....

Nah, this is very basic ;p
Old 11-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #145
clauzenberger

Great guide! Thank you
clauzenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #146
fyiiamaheavy

Banned
Is there any Virus Protectors i can get for free that Can Remove Every virus? If so link please?
fyiiamaheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #147
ikar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyiiamaheavy View Post
Is there any Virus Protectors i can get for free that Can Remove Every virus? If so link please?
There is no absolute protection, but you can use this:

http://download.drweb.com/?lng=en set of tools
http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd/?lng=en LiveCD
http://www.freedrweb.com/liveusb/?lng=en LiveUSB
http://www.kaspersky.com/antivirus-removal-tool?form=1 cure tool
http://z-oleg.com/avz4.zip antirootkit tools
http://xuetr.com/download/XueTr.zip antirootkit tools
Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 Download LiveCD
http://www.avira.com/en/support-download set of tools
http://images.malwareremoval.com/random/RSITx64.exe 2 utils: HiJackThis+AVZ
http://images.malwareremoval.com/random/RSIT.exe 2 utils: HiJackThis+AVZ
etc.
ikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #148
Ragnarous

Banned
Question

Can I use "Microsoft Security Essentials" as anti-virus program? Am I fully protected with this simple program?
Ragnarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #149
teknogeek12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarous View Post
Can I use "Microsoft Security Essentials" as anti-virus program? Am I fully protected with this simple program?
I use it, and find it quite excellent.
teknogeek12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #150
lawful_

nice guide thanks
lawful_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Tags
account security