Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Evochron Mercenary

Old 01-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
BA_Dengar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagan View Post
from my first hours i can only agree. im baffled that one single programmer can deliver an more stable,smoothly functioning and polished game than some major dev-teams around.
Vice is a customer oriented developer. Simple as that.

He will sometimes go on line an play, but he certainly reads the official forum and there are quite regular upgrades. And these are upgrades, not bug fixes!

And he does listen to his customers and does ask for ideas for improvements. Just buy it and support him. You will not regret it.

See you out there sometime maybe.
BA_Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
Tigerhawk71

TBH calling Evochron polished is a misrepresentation of the game as a whole. It's not polished. Gogoindie devs etc but lets be realistic.

Jumping to stations and having to slide your away around them stuck to some invisible collision box that seems to be 200 meters out from the actual structure, and some other strange oddities like the landing on constructors being kinda derpy to the point sometimes you just get instakilled moving into the docking bay because you weren't perfectly lined up and hit the aforementioned wonky collision barrier... These kinds of things are not polish.

The game is solid, but not polished. The interface is bare and clunky but functions, the visuals are decent, the sounds are okay, the game overall is functional and fun, the lack of actual loading screens and clever attempts to hide transitions are nice touches, but if you want to talk polish, there isn't really a lot.
Tigerhawk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
JagaTelesin

Disagree Tigerhawk. Calling it "polished" means it isn't a code-turd like the X3 series. It means it has a UI that someone can understand and grasp the use of within an hour, unlike the X3 series.

It isn't a AAA title, and "super polished". I think that's what you're interpreting, and that isn't what I meant at all. It is from an indie development team of one (1), and for the price and what you get, it is definitely polished. It doesn't crash on me, lag a lot, or get corrupted saves - all of which the X-series does.

I'd call Darkstar One polished as well, though it has a more arcadey feel and gameplay to it.
JagaTelesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #19
KDR_11k

There are some badly documented things in Evochron and the collision detection is very loose but in this genre it's an achievement if the game doesn't crash.
KDR_11k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:07 AM   #20
Tigerhawk71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagaTelesin View Post
Disagree Tigerhawk. Calling it "polished" means it isn't a code-turd like the X3 series. It means it has a UI that someone can understand and grasp the use of within an hour, unlike the X3 series.

It isn't a AAA title, and "super polished". I think that's what you're interpreting, and that isn't what I meant at all. It is from an indie development team of one (1), and for the price and what you get, it is definitely polished. It doesn't crash on me, lag a lot, or get corrupted saves - all of which the X-series does.

I'd call Darkstar One polished as well, though it has a more arcadey feel and gameplay to it.
The word you're looking for is intuitive, when it comes to the UI

Also your bias towards this game and general hatred of X3 are duly noted. But overall X3 is a nicer looking game with more options than Evochron. Both are quite good games, but your bias is more than a bit obvious.

And on that note, X3 doesn't crash, lag (i think you mean framerate issues, which is the fault of your machine and poor configuration or outdated equipment in most cases) or get corrupted saves on my machine.

I have however had Evochron crash with Image Not Found on Line X errors while in the shipyard, and had a ton of trouble getting the server client to function, Since it requires D3D support and i access my server normally through RD which doesn't support D3D for obvious reasons. - there's a 2D client that doesn't really work, on that note.

And the fact you can only pilot fighters, can't own capships or truly "own" stations in Evochron takes away from how long i'm likely to play it. But it has realtime planetfall, which certainly looks nice. Even if you can't really DO much on planets.
Tigerhawk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #21
TehJumpingJawa

Kinda weird that 'best in genre' is still Frontier: Elite 2 / First Encounters (admittedly with many user updates & mods), a game I first played on my Amiga 500 almost.... 19 years ago o_0

Elite 4 better not turn out to be another Duke Nukem Forever.
TehJumpingJawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:59 AM   #22
JagaTelesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerhawk71 View Post
The word you're looking for is intuitive, when it comes to the UI

Also your bias towards this game and general hatred of X3 are duly noted. But overall X3 is a nicer looking game with more options than Evochron. Both are quite good games, but your bias is more than a bit obvious.

And on that note, X3 doesn't crash, lag (i think you mean framerate issues, which is the fault of your machine and poor configuration or outdated equipment in most cases) or get corrupted saves on my machine.
There's actually a very good reason I'm biased against the X3 series. I did a mod for Reunion that was performance based - sped up the game by a large percentage based on the user's hardware (X3-Unleashed). I dumped dozens upon dozens of hours into it, and the devs never took note of the positive feedback from the community, nor did they attempt to incorporate my changes into Terran Conflict by default.

Any developer who's game runs like theirs (very poorly) and who turns a blind eye to improvements from the community, deserves what they get.

Anyhow, I'm not actually *against* X games, just had enough time invested fighting with the software and bugs. Darkstar One and Mercenary both are very easy to get along with.

As a sidenote - I am a Systems Administrator, and have been doing computer install/support/etc for two decades now. Nothing wrong with my machine - the X series are notorious for corrupting saves, usually due to poorly coded mods. No engine should let a mod corrupt data, but it does regardless.

And if you are attempting to convince anyone that X3 Reunion or Terran Conflict don't lag (have serious framerate issues), then you're either smoking something really good, or never truly played them. Just the Terran Stations alone dropped FPS by 30%+ when on screen. They tuned their engine with thousands upon thousands of unnecessary flights (exactly what my mod adjusted), that killed the game's performance.

Back on topic! I personally loved Darkstar One, despite the fact it was very arcade-ish. And I love Evochron (so far), so my recommendation for anyone on the fence, is buy it (or snag the demo).

Last edited by JagaTelesin: 01-24-2012 at 04:01 AM.
JagaTelesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #23
vagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJumpingJawa View Post
Kinda weird that 'best in genre' is still Frontier: Elite 2 / First Encounters (admittedly with many user updates & mods), a game I first played on my Amiga 500 almost.... 19 years ago o_0

haha- yeah memory paints stuff in pink sometimes... but yes they really where awesome games in its time.
im just glad that space games start to look better these days.
but its true - sometimes less is more. i remember how many hours and coins i spent on the old star wars death star arcade game with vector graphics.still remember that as one of the greatest thrills.
vagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #24
zarathustra2k1

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJumpingJawa View Post

+rep for the Frontier on Amiga memories. That game ate years of my life. The PC version I tried later wasn't quite as good - iirc the gfx weren't as sharp as the Amiga version.

Looking at EM for some space-sim fun now it's half price. Is it anywhere near Frontier, fun-wise?

Also:
====
Damn, I would give one of my nuts for a sleek new HD version of Frontier...
zarathustra2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #25
spyrochaete

I tried the demo late last year and was very intrigued but found it a bit confusing and wasn't willing to drop $25 on it. At 50% off I snagged it without a second thought. Very much looking forward to putting some serious time into this as I've loved Freelancer\Wing Commander style games since I was a kid. The multiplayer sounds especially immersive and I like what I've seen from the community - they seem like a friendly, helpful bunch for a a group of murderous space pirates.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #26
Atech66

Never played this genre at all but always wanted to so i grabbed it on sale 50%
and as soon as i spend a month or two in the training section i will be a force to be reckoned with!!
I did however dock and get an error object not found.. went back tried again and got no error and everything worked fine.
be forwarned its very possible there will be stupid questions to follow.
Atech66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Evochron Mercenary