Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Railroads

Old 10-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #1
chips2481

For everyone that complains about crashing

Use it in windowed mode, it will not crash as long as you don't lay a track from one side of the map to the other.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
shadow651

I tried this and the game still crashes randomly, this solution doesn't work for me.
shadow651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
SimbaTao

It does work in Windows 7 (and Vista apparently)

There's another thread.. (That should be stickied.)

I don't know if this will help you, as I don't know what OS you use.. I am using Windows 7 64 bit and I had a terrible time with crashes as well. The fix posted at this http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1090651 link worked great for me.

The idea is to fix the amount of ram the game sees, you can use the enabler or just insert the pre-enabled exe that it links to. (I did, and it is working fine, I just played 6 hours straight without a hitch.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut33 View Post
There seems to be an issue where after playing the game for some time, it just locks up and then crashes. After some thorough research, it appears to be an issue where the game does not have the required setup to be allocated certain portions of your ram. In order to fix this, we must set it up so that it can get to this ram.

There are two fixes I know of, both involving modified .exe's, one worked for me while the other didn't.

Disclaimer: Modified .exe's are being used with Steam, which may be a hazard to your account. However, I asked around on the forum and many people have done it and said it's fine. In addition, I am using a modified .exe myself, so I sincerely believe it will be fine.

Fix #1: This .exe has the fix already applied to it
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?oqvgqywwemd
  • Replace your railroads.exe in "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's railroads" with the downloaded .exe

Fix #2 (Courtesy of Zorander and Warll): Manually apply the fix
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?lfgz2d0yytz
  • Copy your Railroads.exe from "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's railroads" to your editbin "3gb_enabler2 unzipped" directory
  • Go to your start menu and find command prompt, open it by right clicking it and pressing run as administrator.
  • Change to your unzipped 3gb directiory where you have editbin.exe by using the "cd" command. example: cd "users/coconut33/desktop/3GB enabler"
  • Type "editbin.exe /LARGEADDRESSAWARE Railroads.exe" (no quotes)
  • Extra Step for Vista 32: 4b. Type "BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2900" (no quotes). (Note: System boards vary; if 2900 does not work try 3072)
  • Copy the patched Railroads.exe back to your "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's railroads" to your editbin "3gb_enabler2 unzipped" directory

Note: If anything goes wrong for either fix, don't worry. Just delete the railroads.exe from the folder and then launch Railroads. It will automatically download the original steam copy again.

Best of luck.

Last edited by SimbaTao: 01-26-2012 at 12:44 AM.
SimbaTao is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Railroads