Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Space Pirates and Zombies

Old 01-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Rems

Game doesnt start - OpenGl problem

Hi

some time ago everything worked without any problem. Now i can't run games based on OpenGL like cities in motion or SPAZ.

Here is my VAIO spec:
Procesor Intel® Core™2 Duo T9600 2,8
RAM - 8 GB (DDR2 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB))
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4650

Does anyone know why it doesnt work anymore or how I can fix this OpenGL problem?
Old 01-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
amurmann

I have problems with this game as well and am wondering if we are seeing the same thing.
Does the game ust stay all black for you?
I have the same issue with Minecraft, have you tried that by any chance?
amurmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
blorf

MinMax Games Ltd.
Hi guys,

Sorry that you are having problems getting OpenGL running.

Here are a couple things to try:

Video Drivers. A lot of times the default video drivers that come with your machine will not have OpenGL enabled, if you go to your video card manufacturer's website, (usually ATI or Nvidia) you will be able to find up to date drivers that will turn on OpenGL

The second thing is the new switchable graphics options on newer gaming laptops. Apparently some that are set to "dynamic" mode will turn off OpenGL. If you set the laptop to "fixed" mode, OpenGL support should return.

Probably the easiest thing to do is try googling your computer's name and OpenGL together. Getting OpenGL working tends to be a common desire for a lot of people and there should be a lot of content about ways to do so.

I am also happy to help if you have any further questions. If none of this works, please email me your console.log file (located with spazgame.exe) and a DxDiag, and I will take a look right away.
blorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Rems

Can you explain more about those "modes"?
I went into my graphic card settings and found this in the information center: "OpenGL – version 6.14.10.8789"

Regarding the question under mine:
Yes i have the same issue. When i try to run the game i can see only black screen for a sec and than the game is crashing (same games that used to work longer time ago without a problem)
Rems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
dicul

What the hell, I've been having issues with every OpenGL game ever since I switched from a dead Geforce 7600 to the ATI HD4650.
I've erased every Nvidia driver and installed the very latest AMD HD4650 driver.

Don't even tell me that this card somehow doesn't work with OpenGL...
dicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:56 AM   #6
Rems

well.... it should, but somehow it doesn't want to :P

some time ago all the games requiring OpenGL were running without a problem... I dunno what happened but smth got fcked :P
Old 01-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
Rems

ok......... lets hope that format will help
Old 01-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
dicul

I just reformatted my computer and it didn't fix a damn thing, I think it's a friggin hardware issue.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
blorf

MinMax Games Ltd.
Hi Guys,

Do you mind listing the names of your computers (mainly if they are laptops) and your video card names here? I will take a look on google to see what I can find out about OpenGL on those systems.

Here is a note from one of our customers who was having OpenGL issues yesterday. This may be useful info for you as well.

Quote:
Thank you very much for your help. I was able to resolve this issue and for any future customers with this problem, here was my fix. Since my laptop had switchable graphics (Which all of HP's newer models have), the game would launch using the integrated ones first and not the dedicated graphics card which has an updated OpenGL. I tried updating drivers, setting the application to "High Performance" under graphics card configurations, and the canvas.cs script on the forums.

Ultimately, I just had to update to the latest version of HP's Bios and was able to make my graphics "Fixed" from "Switchable" and was able to play the game .
blorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
dicul

I actually just fixed it just now by updating the AGP drivers for my ancient mobo from here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=K7S8XE&o=XP

I'm so damn happy, it was just a total shot in the dark too.
Now, I can play every OpenGL game once again!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Space Pirates and Zombies