Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Command & Conquer series

Old 03-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #16
neo158

I have this problem, as well as the game randomly crashing to the desktop, seems like it's an x64 problem.
neo158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #17
renegader250

7x64 same prob
renegader250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #18
VASH1291

Im on XP and it still does this.
VASH1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #19
Whoops

Well, I don't know the cause, but if you go to the game folder in program files --> steam --> steamapps --> common --> C&C (or w/e it is), then open "installscript.vdf" using notepad or textpad (again, forget the name as I never use it), and the line "Run Process", simply add // in front of the word run (I always make sure it's inside the "'s, but outside may work also) and it removes the coding to install that little bit of information.
So that way if for some reason the game keeps going to that file to run the process, ta-da, it can't because you removed the core part of that little chain. Personally, I use it on most games where I already have the directx files and don't feel like having to wait for them to reinstall, or if my computer is acting grumpy and doesn't want to install the buggers. (yes warning, that is the code that does the first install of directx and .net framework, but if you are having issues with them, you'd be ahead to just remove them from the equation, no? Especially if you already have them installed for that particular title)

(Apologies for the text wall by the way.)

Bah, forgot to put the edit text in this, oh well. Hurrying never helps matters I suppose, but was just tossing this out as I stumbled on the forum and felt like giving you all a hand

Last edited by Whoops: 03-24-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Clarity? Perhaps.
Whoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #20
Whoops

Edit 1: by "don't know the cause" I mean "i don't know why your game is trying to keep installing it everytime", not "why this removes the actual 'do this' line of code" as that is taught by a mere entry level java course, or an online site if you're bored enough to learn it.
Whoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #21
Jachal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoops View Post
Well, I don't know the cause, but if you go to the game folder in program files --> steam --> steamapps --> common --> C&C (or w/e it is), then open "installscript.vdf" using notepad or textpad (again, forget the name as I never use it), and the line "Run Process", simply add // in front of the word run (I always make sure it's inside the "'s, but outside may work also) and it removes the coding to install that little bit of information.
So that way if for some reason the game keeps going to that file to run the process, ta-da, it can't because you removed the core part of that little chain. Personally, I use it on most games where I already have the directx files and don't feel like having to wait for them to reinstall, or if my computer is acting grumpy and doesn't want to install the buggers. (yes warning, that is the code that does the first install of directx and .net framework, but if you are having issues with them, you'd be ahead to just remove them from the equation, no? Especially if you already have them installed for that particular title)

(Apologies for the text wall by the way.)

Bah, forgot to put the edit text in this, oh well. Hurrying never helps matters I suppose, but was just tossing this out as I stumbled on the forum and felt like giving you all a hand
Thank you!
Jachal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #22
grangerx

Workaround

I found another workaround.

I used the Steam "+ Add A Game..." feature to "Add a Non-Steam Game",

then went to the directory "<wherever_you_installed_steam>\SteamApps\common\c ommand and conquer 4 tiberian twilight"

and picked "CNC4.exe" as the game to add.

Now of course, there are two entries for Command and Conquer 4 in your Steam App, but if you start the game from the CNC4 link, you still have the Steam Overlay and it doesn't ask about the "First Time Setup" stuff.

I think the original entry will keep the game auto-updated still, as well.

Thanks,
grangerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #23
grangerx

Talking A better workaround / actual-fix maybe!

Hi all,

I ran the SysInternals ProcessMonitor utility while starting "Command and Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight" from steam.

The reason this thing keeps asking to perform first time setup is that it seems to install DotNet 3.5 but look to see if it has registry values for both 3.5 and 3.5.sp1.

To at least fix this asking for First Time Setup every time, use RegEdit.EXE and add the following Registry Key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam\Apps\47700]
"DotNet3_5_SP1"=dword:00000001

(or you can probably cut/paste the two lines above into a text file and save as a .REG file and double-click that from Explorer to add it to the Registry, as well.)

Have fun!
grangerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #24
Blazer71

That is unfortunate that you all are experiencing this problem. Sometimes I think Steam is utter crap. The reason why I like to buy my games retail. I have never had a problem with retail games. Hopefully the fix some of you have provided will work.
Blazer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #25
vincenthunter

same problem here, its a bug
vincenthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #26
Arty-chan

I dont' suppose this issue has been fixed? I'm on Win7, 32bit, check that 3.5 SP1 is installed according to the registry and I still get this issue
Arty-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #27
excalibur1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer71 View Post
I have never had a problem with retail games. Hopefully the fix some of you have provided will work.

Are you serious? Millions of people have had problems with retail games
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #28
Pcow

Banned
Got a very nice solution if none of the above are working. Go to Steam\steamapps\(either common or your username)\(your game) and you should find a "redist" folder there, if not, try looking around a little more in the folder. Open up the "redist" folder and you will find the installers for "DirectX", ".NET FRAMEWORK", etc. Just delete them! Then try launching the game and it will still say "Preparing first time setup" however Steam will notice that the installers for the things they want to install are gone, so it shows that window for about 1/4 second, and it should bring you to your game!

Hope this works

Also: This should work on XP (I did it on XP), Vista, 7,and 8.
Pcow is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Command & Conquer series