Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > PAYDAY The Heist

Old 01-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #76
Littletiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAJAY View Post
Ok, mini update. Turned on "Enable 3rd party access" on AlienFX and the lights changed to a solid green once I entered the game. But nothing happens during the game, it just stays green. When I leave the game the lights go back to my default color (Red). Any thoughts? Thanks.
I have the same issue on my M17XR3
Littletiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #77
Sk1tz0

Same problem!

I tried contacting dell and alienware, they said update the drivers. But i have not found any drivers suitable for a non alienware computer.

The lights go green and i have the masks, but no change in colour during an assult.

Has anyone solved this yet??
Sk1tz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:12 AM   #78
Rhyzak

Okay so i had problems that most people are having so I unistalled AlienFX redownld it. and now its saying I need a Dell Computer to install this software on my Computer....? So now ive gone from having a Constant Green Light. to not having any AlienFX at all?

any solutions?
Rhyzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #79
MARCOXZ

Banned
Can someone upload a hi-res pic of the masks?
MARCOXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #80
DNAJAY

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyzak View Post
Okay so i had problems that most people are having so I unistalled AlienFX redownld it. and now its saying I need a Dell Computer to install this software on my Computer....? So now ive gone from having a Constant Green Light. to not having any AlienFX at all?

any solutions?
That is strange, I know people have been reinstalling the command center to try and fix the alienfx problems on payday, but I am not sure how they reinstalled it or if they ran into this issue. Maybe try calling dell or alienware?

I don't know if reinstalling the command center is my thing, i'll just wait for a patch.
DNAJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #81
MARCOXZ

Banned
The keyboard never turns red, any soltions?
MARCOXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #82
wna.ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogreinside View Post
Overkill, thanks very much for adding this neat little feature. I love the usage of the lighting system. However, can you please add an option to disable the view of the masks to others who do not have Alienware systems? In other words, something like a checkbox that says "Only show custom masks to other Alienware users".

I love the way the masks look, but nearly every time a non-Alienware user has asked about the masks in the lobby, the conversation almost instantly devolves into calling me a noob for wasting my money on a crappy computer (see some of the previous comments on this thread).

It is now to the point I am just turning the option off, because I don't want to hear it anymore.

For all the haters out there: I just don't care. I've been building my own PCs since the mid 90s, back when a 6x SCSI CD drive used caddies and was extremely fast. I'm getting old. I have kids, a job, responsibilities. This is the first pre-built desktop system I have ever bought (I find it funny everyone talks about always building your own, when many people have Alienware laptops - not many people built their own laptops). I still build all my own servers and help others build their own systems when asked.

Overpriced? Maybe a bit, it really depends. What is your time worth? When I bought mine, I used a 17% coupon that a friend who works at Dell let me use. If anybody really cares, I actually posted about this on tomshardware at the time: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/53...alienware-area

In this conversation I get the same argument of "Alienware is overpriced and it is easier to do it yourself". At the time I did a detailed comparison of parts you could buy from newegg and build it yourself - including a fancy case with lighting. Factoring in my 17% discount, the difference in a new Core i7 920 system with an ATI 5970 and 2x VelociRaptor 10K drives was around $200. My #1 reason for purchasing Alienware was using my Dell credit account. With newegg I would have to fork over the cash (or apply for credit with them), but I already had a large account with Dell. It was also a no-interest for 18 months purchase. This was my main driving factor. If I had $3000 cash, I would most likely have built my own system.

Know what else? I love calling one company. I had a motherboard replacement recently due to the optical port not holding my TOSLINK cable anymore (in fairness it was a monoprice premium cable with a large heavy connector). I called Alienware(Dell). They sent someone with a new motherboard who came out and replaced it. This all happened in two days. What happens if this is your custom system you built from newegg 2 years later? You RMA the board, wait, and you are down for what - several weeks? They also replaced my keyboard about a year ago. They just send me a replacement and I mail back the part. No hassle.

Sure, building yourself is fun, educational, you fine-tune it just how you want, and you may save a few bucks. I applaud those who have the time and patience for this. But in the end, who cares? I "wasted" $200 and have a system that two years later I can still play everything on max detail on my 30" monitor at 2560x1600 and still have a full, all-inclusive warranty. And custom lighting and masks that PayDay uses.

There are also some analogies I could use: sure some people custom build their own cars, some people have gardens and grown their own food - but buying from a car dealer, or going to subway is just easier. Though this doesn't apply to me - I'm sure many people out there don't want to become computer experts and do tons of research. They just want to buy an end product. That is what manufacturers like Alienware (and others) do. Yes they charge a premium, but for some people they are fine with this.

So, it would be nice to be able to hide these masks from all the haters out there. Or, if you hate Alienware so much just keep it to yourself. Stop wasting my time telling me how ignorant and I am and how much money I wasted to get "crappy" parts. It isn't worth replying to you anymore. I've already wasted more of my free time than I care to addressing this. You are so 133t that you want to build and maintain your PC. That is great. I have always done so myself, and still do the same except this one system. Fine, you think I'm an ignorant idiot who wasted money on a "crappy" system that brings me joy every day. I don't care. Right now, I just want to enjoy my games.
I couldn't agree more.
Normally I build my own systems and shop around to find a cheaper alternative for the big popular tech brand, and most of the time it pays off.

But sometimes it's really nice to just buy something, even if it costs a bit more and treat yourself.
My personal reason for the alienware was that my mother had died a few months before and I really just felt like ignoring my usually thrifty genes and just treating myself for once.

I agree about the tech support as well, the only time I've had to call them out, it was incredibly fast, they just came to my house and it was done in 15 minutes.
There was no moment of panic as I ran around trying to find receipts whilst worrying if a component would survive postage, or worrying what I'd do whilst I waited for it to come back.

I also find it highly ironic, that the people who whine about alienware being overpriced and unreliable, often are doing it from a windows box. I wonder what happened to their DIY attitude when it came to choosing their OS.
I'm guessing the cost of a windows licence was less hassle than configuring wine and a Linux distro for them.

Seriously, the whole 'omg u buy alienware u r noob' attitude is getting old.
We live in a world full of injustice and horrible deeds. Are you really that cranky because another human being has red lights when a police assault wave comes in?
wna.ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #83
Tamboks

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill_bo View Post
As PAYDAY is using AlienFX to run special warnings lights at assult waves
Does anyone have a video showing what these special warning lights look like?
Tamboks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #84
Yan.42

I have the problem with the AlienwareFX features that
1. the lights don't work. It gets green as soon as I run the game, but it keeps green
2. I ALWAYS have to go in the main menu, options and turn off and on again AlienwareFX so that I can choose the masks. Also if I exit a lobby and want to join/create another.
Yan.42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #85
Keaton Kitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan.42 View Post
I have the problem with the AlienwareFX features that
1. the lights don't work. It gets green as soon as I run the game, but it keeps green
2. I ALWAYS have to go in the main menu, options and turn off and on again AlienwareFX so that I can choose the masks. Also if I exit a lobby and want to join/create another.
Try doing the same thing when the game starts. It seems once it hits that loading screen with the masks fading out of focus, the game 'forgets'. Either at the weapon loadout page, or when the screen is black and your being briefed, try turn the alienfx off and on again in the payday video options.
Keaton Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #86
v00d00y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton Kitsune View Post
Try doing the same thing when the game starts. It seems once it hits that loading screen with the masks fading out of focus, the game 'forgets'. Either at the weapon loadout page, or when the screen is black and your being briefed, try turn the alienfx off and on again in the payday video options.
Your fix for the red lights works Keaton. I have also checked the calls, and it is definately a settings issue, not a AlienFX API issue. The AFX calls to change the lighting red are not called at all, nor is the AFX API unloaded... Payday simply "forgets" the setting as you said.
v00d00y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #87
michael012901

I recently got a tactx keyboard, I enabled AlienFX, but I don't have the masks. Any help?
michael012901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #88
GRS9

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael012901 View Post
I recently got a tactx keyboard, I enabled AlienFX, but I don't have the masks. Any help?
Do you even have an Alienware PC?
GRS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #89
michael012901

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS9 View Post
Do you even have an Alienware PC?
No, but I heard it works only with the keyboard.
michael012901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #90
v00d00y

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael012901 View Post
No, but I heard it works only with the keyboard.
Payday should work with anything supporting the Dell/Alienware LightFX.dll (AlienFX). I just finished my own custom LightFX.dll, which enables the Logitech G19 keyboard backlight to be used as an AlienFX device.. So, it should work with most official ones too
  1. Is the Alienware Command Center installed? If not, install it.
  2. Make sure that the Command Center allows access to AlienFX for third party applications. This can be set by right clicking the AlienFX symbol in the Task Bar.
  3. Make sure AlienFX is enabled in Payday's advanced video settings.
v00d00y is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > PAYDAY The Heist