Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 01-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #31
This is bull

An example for L.o.D.

OK L.o.D.

Here is a specific exanmple (mine)

I bought a game for myself for Christmas. I checked the system requirements and had everything it said I needed. I put disc 1 in and hit load and Steam started loading after three hours Steam froze my computer's ISP connection. I got back on the internet. read all of the technical support articles to see if there was a way I could play the game without using Steam since I have no intention ever of playing the game on-line. I found a very helpful article on how to download the game off of my discs rather than off of Steam. I printed the article.

It said I had to load Steam first. So I started everything up again and went to bed Christmas night. By the next morning Steam had loaded. (I have a very low connection speed varying between 286 bytes per second and 1.7 kilobytes per second).

^ yes you read that right

The game showed up in my games folder and I followed the instructions I had printed out the day before TO THE LETTER.

It did not work - I could not load off the discs I had in front of me.

I contacted Steam support and sent in a support ticket over the next five days I kept trying and kept adding to my support ticket my trials, tribulations and frustrations of just trying to load a game that I bought and had the discs for.

Steam Support got back to me seven days after I had submitted the support ticket. The advice was basically to delete a number of files in the Steam folder - put the disk back in and all should be fine.

I printed the e-mail from Support and followed it to the letter. It started re-installing steam which then took another 8 hours to do. I tried to log into Steam after that was done and my game was gone. I tried everything I could think of over the next two days waiting for my added information to my support ticket and adding information to my support ticket as to what I had tried and what had happened.

This morning I got my second response from Steam support via e-mail. It said (I will paraphrase). We are sorry for your frustration. However we do not give phone support. To play the game you need an internet connection and then refered me to the Steam webpages that I had said I had read and followed to the letter in my support ticket.

Now obviously, I have an internet connection or I could not have submitted a support ticket or added to it via my e-mail account. I even said that Steam can call me collect.

I just want to play Total War: Empire offline (never on-line) so I struggle on. It took me 38 minutes this morning to log into Steam and something is now downloading so I asked whether I needed what I was downloading or is there something else I could do to make it go quicker.

The reason I asked that because at my download speeds (if I keep my computer on and internet connection open I will have to wait ....

Ready for this?

This calculation is based on my first two hours of actually getting in and watching the download.

149 days
6 hours
6 minutes
and
32 seconds

Now if Steam had phone support or even would agree to call me collect I would hope that someone could help me through how to do this in a more expeditious fashion.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #32
Gone'Postal

Banned
The download time is going to be high on that connection, even the Steam client hardware requirements state Internet connection (broadband recommended) slower then Broadband will be slower and might not work the way it should.

You will have to be on-line at least once to patch and tell Steam you have the game after its install and I think once every 90 days if you use the client in offline mode.

I've just done the support instructions for FEAR2 and it worked first time.

However,

Steam should offer support for the Steam client, Not games, not VAC just the client.

There was a thread on here some where with an ID system to rule out people calling valve for support on something they can't help with.
Gone'Postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #33
jiminator

phone support = call center
call center = $12/call average
steam does not charge monthly fees so there would be no way to recoup this
a great concept but really unworkable
jiminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #34
y34rz3r0

My account was suspended, I wrote several times about this issue but got no response from steam support, I don't know reason why my account suspended. Can someone help me what should I do?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #35
angrysquirrel1

Steam support is TERRIBLE. I have a problem where my CD key appears to be in use by another user. Last night I sent a scan of my receipt, my manual with key and CD.

I sent a similar email to Deep Silver after I had emailed Steam for help. Deep Silver got back to me the very next day. No response from Steam.

If they don't want to offer phone support, then they should give the user a $20 credit for every day they don't respond to an email. Alternatively, they should disclose they may take a week or so to respond to customer support inquires before anyone purchases a game off steam or buys a steam only retail game.

I can't believe those of you who actually think it's okay for steam to have no phone support because they'd lose money? What's wrong with you people? Do you work for steam?
angrysquirrel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #36
cylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrysquirrel1 View Post
If they don't want to offer phone support, then they should give the user a $20 credit for every day they don't respond to an email. Alternatively, they should disclose they may take a week or so to respond to customer support inquires before anyone purchases a game off steam or buys a steam only retail game.

I can't believe those of you who actually think it's okay for steam to have no phone support because they'd lose money? What's wrong with you people? Do you work for steam?
Phone support is typically SLOWER than written support. You ring up, you're on hold while the other 5000 people are in front of you, the reason you're waiting longer is because support asks the person if they've tried rebooting or deleting files, etc. they then have to sit there while the person fiddles and dawdles saying.. "now... wheres my steam folder? ah yes, hang on, no i think its here... ok i found the file, i pressed a button and nothing happened. how do i delete it". With written responses they can say exactly what to do and the person can just go off and do it in their own time. While they are doing it, they can get to other tickets.

However, this also means that the average person actually gives enough information in the first place. I would bet there are MANY MANY messages sent to support that contain literally "MY GAME NO WORK!!!! HELP!!!" which means they have to then go through dozens of messages trying to work out what the problem is.

Mind you, if there was phone support, these people would then be on the phone IN FRONT OF YOU with their "my game! the one i bought! it not work!!!" and spend 5 minutes working out what their problem is before they even get to a solution. Oh and lets not get to the useless ones that don't need to be near support in the first place.

Oh and nice necro-off-post!
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #37
angrysquirrel1

It can't be slower than one day SO FAR that I've waited for Steam to respond to my email for a simple problem about a steam key that doesn't work with a BRAND NEW game that I bought.

Not sure what phone support you are used to but I "typically" don't wait ONE DAY for someone to pick up a phone. Maybe you like to deal with crappy companies and expect long hold times.

Oh, and thanks for BOLSTERING my argument that phone support should be an option. Actually, I would agree with you that for more complex problems phone support SHOULD be an option because it is more interactive than having to wait back and forth to get additional information from a user.

Seriously bud, you must work for Steam. We are not talking one option or another here. A company that is as big and profitable as Steam should have both options for their customers OR at the very LEAST, respond lightning fast to customers via email. From MY experience their support SUCKS. And "my experience" is based not only on this my past customer service inquires as a Steam customer, but also as my experience working technical support for an independent software company. We had both support for our customers on a budget WAY smaller than that of Steam.

Notice I didn't use the "typical" crap that you do. If you want to use "typical," you might as well as throw in some made up statistics you pull out of your head to sound smarter.

Oh, and never have I heard someone use the word "necro" in a sentence the way that you just did. You get my wannabe nerd of the day award.
angrysquirrel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas