Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Space Empires V

Old 01-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Lucrin

Red face Space Empires V unable to save and access violation

I cant save the game or the starmaps without getting a message saying its unable, then "Space Empires V access violation at address 00736800" I just reticently had to do the fix for the missing steam .dll. Anyone else having this issue/know how to fix it?
Old 01-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Lucrin

Update here: out of curiosity I installed the retail version, patched it up, and it runs fine. no save issues, no access violations. However, if you add it to steams shortcut (for the overlay) it breaks and responds just like the steam version with the same errors.
Lucrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
gigacannon

The problem with being unable to save is caused by the fact that there is no savegame folder and temp folder in the root directory. Create them and name them so.

I'm have a problem with the game hanging during the first turn's Processing after all player turns. I suspect it's down to more missing folders, but I'm not sure what the root folder's subfolders are supposed to look like.

Any help would be appreciated.
gigacannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Lucrin

Thanks for the update on the missing files, theres another, occasional problem I'm noticing however. When generating maps the game will create no connected system/warp points, despite all warp points connected being checked off, after a few retries it gives me another series of access violations. Its happened about 4 times now, out of 20 or so game starts, so its repeatable (for me anyway) but i cant tell what triggers it.
Lucrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
gigacannon

You're checking 'all warp points connected' off? That should be left on, as it is by default. If not, there's a chance your start system will be devoid of warp points, but not necessarily all of them.

I can't understand why this would be related to access violations. If you've got your hands on some files that you've got from some other source than by downloading from Steam, as I did, to fix your problem, it's probably an older version of the game. Don't write over any new files with older ones, as there may be differences. It's enough that you have the following folders, in your SE5 directory;
autosave
backup
data
docs
empires
fonts
gamesetups
gametypes
history
music
pictures
savedempires
savegame
scenarios
sounds
temp
utilities

And among others, these files

Filesystem_Steam.dll
steam.dell
steam_api.dll
steamclient.dll

If you don't have any of these folders, or any of these files, in the SE5 directory, then it's enough to create the folders and leave them empty, as long as the names are correct. If you don't have the files, you'll need to get them from somewhere, but you should avoid overwriting any files that you don't have to, and stick with the latest versions, preferably downloaded from Steam.

These files may be floating around elsewhere in your steam subfolders, I haven't checked, I only used old ones because I had to download a dodgy copy to figure out what files I needed to get the gaame to run. In any event these files should have been included with the game when I downloaded it from Steam, and I've since deleted the original files that I'd downloaded, except the ones I've needed.

But yeah if I had to guess, the access violations are caused by the fact that all files and folders in program files (x86) are protected in some weird way and SEV isn't able to manufacture what it needs, or because Steam makes additional demands of SEV in order to let it run, or something.

Bloody newfangled technology. I miss games that you installed from four floppy disks into a single directory, usually c:\game, with all the files the game needed in that directory (or if possible, just the one .exe). None of this logging onto the internet to beg the company you bought the game from to let you play it; they used to give you a real, physical manual, and verify you'd bought the game by making you look up arcane symbols or words from specific pages and line numbers from the manual. Now that's copy protection you can sink your teeth into.
gigacannon is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Space Empires V