Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tomb Raider series

Old 01-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
spoaller

Banned
Talking Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - Great Game!

I'm not a fan of the series, not even a fan of this style of games. I'm more of a FPS and ARPG type of gamer. But I found this gem on GreenManGaming for only 3 dollars, I read some reviews and decided to buy it.

I did not regret it. It is worth well over 3 dollars. I got over 7 hours of play time from it (without even touching the multiplayer), found it somewhat addictive, a well needed change from my usual games and a great overall package.

I've got lots of games in my Steam library, many of them being not-so-great impulsive buy decisions and I feel comfortable to say that this game is one of the best ones from my collection.

If you find yourself wondering if you should buy this game or not, in my opinion this is a must buy.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Butr0sButr0s

Thank you for the impressions. I'm starting to slow down in Terraria and was debating what to install next. I think I'll go with GoL based on the positive feedback.
Butr0sButr0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
tunguska47

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is the only lara croft game out of the series i own cause it owns that much i might even pick up the new one coming out this year because of it
tunguska47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
MrCrunk

The game is 4x better local co-op (not sure about online, can't find people)
MrCrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
RevolverAce

When i play this game im always very impressed by the quality of the environment. Puzzels are great too. the only thing i didnt find very impressive was the combat, but its just a blast to play. sadly it has little replay value imo.
RevolverAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
serieus1

I just beat the game and I'm really happy with the purchase of this game. The graphics were great, the puzzles were decent and the action was fun though not all too tough at all.

The co-op is really fun, I agree with others though that unfortunately the online co-op is pretty much dead. I also just read that there's not much replayability. I'll agree with you to a certain degree, I know that I'm getting ready to get all of the relics and such, and I think that forces you to play a little differently too.

Great game all around.
serieus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
FrozenCommand

it took me about 17 hours to unlock everything. The game counts all your fastest level times and if you would neglect every extra (and miraculisy solve all the riddles the first time in perfect time), the game is only apx 2 hours long. but where is the fun in that.
Replayability AFTER having unlocked everything is not high if not 0 but most singleplayer games are not, right? But I had a blast unlocking everything while it lasted

I think this game is defenetly worth buying. Didnt do any coop yet though as the online thing is really dead. unfortunatly.
FrozenCommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
Westenra 3.0

I didn't care for it. Achievements are too closely integrated into the gameplay. I spent a good hour scouring one level up and down but only found 9 out of 10 skulls. When I scour a level I expect to find everything. Replaying a level just to get an achievement when I've already put the time in = bad game design. I just want to follow the story, solve puzzles and shoot stuff, is that too much to ask? This game makes you feel like a failure if you don't do every single extra challenge.

I have yet to finish a Tomb Raider game and this latest entry in the series certainly didn't disappoint. Gave up a few levels in.
Westenra 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Microbullet

One of the best coop platformers I've laid my hands on. The gameplay is solid with a decent storyline and creative and challenging levels. 8/10. Good buy.
Microbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
arthas1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westenra 3.0 View Post
I didn't care for it. Achievements are too closely integrated into the gameplay. I spent a good hour scouring one level up and down but only found 9 out of 10 skulls. When I scour a level I expect to find everything. Replaying a level just to get an achievement when I've already put the time in = bad game design. I just want to follow the story, solve puzzles and shoot stuff, is that too much to ask? This game makes you feel like a failure if you don't do every single extra challenge.

I have yet to finish a Tomb Raider game and this latest entry in the series certainly didn't disappoint. Gave up a few levels in.
you dont like achievement but want to get em? yeah you are weird...
arthas1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
chilkat

Quote:
Replaying a level just to get an achievement when I've already put the time in = bad game design. I just want to follow the story, solve puzzles and shoot stuff, is that too much to ask?
Than do just that? You say this as if there is no such thing as free will.

Quote:
This game makes you feel like a failure if you don't do every single extra challenge
That is all in your mind and a little strange to be honest =-)
chilkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
xizar

I like the Tomb Raider-style games, and was disappointed a few years back at all the grousing GoL seemed to stir up because it was "different".

I'm glad, though, I got it. It's *not* like the Tomb Raiders (as has been mentioned) and is a lot of fun. It feels a *little* like the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games for playstyle. (without all the town stuff... just run around, shoot stuff, solve puzzles.) (geez... I'd love to see the BGA games come to PC; never happen, but w/e.)

I kind of prefer it to the traditional Tomb Raider games, but mostly because of the change of pace.

I vote against the skin packs, but that's mostly because Ms. Croft will always hold a special place in my heart.
xizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
big_d4ddy

Yeah, enjoying this myself too, very addictive, you just keep going to solve that next puzzle, then the next.
Environment looks good, puzzles satisfying when completed and a good all round shooter, glad I picked it up in the sale, seems much more fast paced than the old school Tomb Raider games I remember, thumbs up...
big_d4ddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tomb Raider series