Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Costume Quest

Old 02-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
IcarusSC

Talking An evenhanded review

Human nature being what it is, most people who clicked the link are probably looking for a diatribe about how dreadful the game is. I hope you'll stay for this instead

Let's get this out of the way: there are a lot of things the game is NOT. It's not deep, it's not strategic, it's not options-laden, and it's not a made-for-PC product. If you want those, go play Shogun 2 or Skyrim or Frozen Synapse or something (all great games which I have). I won't talk about what the game is not; the PC market is enormous, and you can find what you're looking for if you want something else.

Instead, I'd like to compliment the game (and the designers) on what it is.

First, it's charming. You're a jaded, cynical 4-ch(redacted) poster who mocks the very idea of charming? I feel bad for you But seriously, the game is delightful: it's cartoony artwork, the selection of costumes, the background music, the gross-out candy treat cards (I laughed out loud at "Human Crackers"), and the way the combatants loom over the landscape during battle scenes all capture the otherworldly experience of childhood -- that of living out of sync with the adults around you, of inhabiting your own universe. I love it.

Second, it's funny. It wasn't long before I was reminded of the laughs I got playing Psychonauts years ago. The back-and-forth dialogue between the henchmonsters whom you're trying to ambush at the beginning of Act III was a classic example -- understated, wry, and hilarious. I also couldn't resist hitting every single person I met with my candy bag, just to see what they'd say. Incidentally, I was really pleased that the writers avoided the easy out of toilet humor that so many authors of children's entertainment (or entertainment involving children) seem to be drawn toward. I get enough of that with my two-year-old

Finally, it's short. I realize that some of you will view this as a drawback. But there are also, I'd imagine, a lot of you like me: busy people with jobs and families who remember the days when a game like Skyrim was something they could get lost in ... but know that they can't really do that anymore. I really enjoy being able to approach a game as a short, self-contained narrative that I can enjoy over a weekend or three. More like this would be excellent.

TL;DR: Buy it.

TL;DR and I'm Tim Shaffer: Make more games for PC.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
KwisatzHaderach

Hey, thanks there mate, nice review and just what I wa Ted to hear after I bought this game yesterday. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to get into it, since uni and kids are occupying all of my time presently.
All too true what you said about having a hard time getting lost in big games anymore. I remember playing day and night through Gothic II. Nowadays I'm having trouble finishing awesome games like the Witcher II. Anyway, looking forward to this game, absolutely adore Psychonauts.
KwisatzHaderach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
manawell

IcarusSC, this is extacly what I would say, lol... I just got it and I am playing it now, just cigarette break made me go here and check what people think about this. I did buy that game not because of price (well, I was lucky tho) but because I know what Tim Shaffer's games are like. I love Psychonauts, bought old laptop just to play Grim Fandango old school style, loved Monkey Island...If you look through my games list you will know I have a bit of everythiung there. I know people who play only hardcore games would be like WTF?! trying to play that one, but it's still fun for me, I don't care if someone would laugh seeing me playing this. It's great game, and I guess number of people playing games like that is actually bigger than number of people who admit it...which is sorta sad.

I do it and maybe you do it: have bad day? Should I treat myself?! Let's see if something on sale online. Go to Steam, buy cheapest deal even if you never heard about it. Then, after playing for 15 minutes, come to the forums, slag it or start new topic "Don't buy this" or so.. Steam deals are good if not the best gaming-wise and it attracts people who will always moan about something.
That was good review, maybe it will stop some moaners

@KwisatzHaderach, I know what you are feeling, kids and work and/or uni, not easy for gaming. 4 years on Steam now, about 45 games and I did finish less than 10 (I had some non Steam ones at the same time tho). Lack of time is my biggest pain.
manawell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
manawell

IcarusSC, this is extacly what I would say, lol... I just got it and I am playing it now, just cigarette break made me go here and check what people think about this. I did buy that game not because of price (well, I was lucky tho) but because I know what Tim Shaffer's games are like. I love Psychonauts, bought old laptop just to play Grim Fandango old school style, loved Monkey Island...If you look through my games list you will know I have a bit of everythiung there. I know people who play only hardcore games would be like WTF?! trying to play that one, but it's still fun for me, I don't care if someone would laugh seeing me playing this. It's great game, and I guess number of people playing games like that is actually bigger than number of people who admit it...which is sorta sad.

I do it and maybe you do it: have bad day? Should I treat myself?! Let's see if something on sale online. Go to Steam, buy cheapest deal even if you never heard about it. Then, after playing for 15 minutes, come to the forums, slag it or start new topic "Don't buy this" or so.. Steam deals are good if not the best gaming-wise and it attracts people who will always moan about something.
That was good review, maybe it will stop some moaners

@KwisatzHaderach, I know what you are feeling, kids and work and/or uni, not easy for gaming. 4 years on Steam now, about 45 games and I did finish less than 10 (I had some non Steam ones at the same time tho). Lack of time is my biggest pain.
manawell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Joe_Brown

Great review mate got myself a copy for the sale!
Joe_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:51 AM   #6
gringlas

Nice review!

Just played through the original game and took me around 6 hours. Now I start Grubbins on Ice. I like that game a lot for it cool and refreshing setting and of course the humor. I have to buy Stacking, when I finish this one I guess
gringlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Zainodis

I just finished the game today - took me 6 hours too - just like the previous poster. I also wrote a review which you can find here:

http://www.zainodis.com/2012/08/game...ume-quest.html

I'll also upload a video review on my youtube channel, but since that's gonna be in german, I guess the above link to the written review is more interesting for people intereted in CQ

Cheers,

Zainodis
Zainodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
Zainodis

Review: Grubbins on Ice

Following up my previous post, I finished the DLC Grubbins on Ice. For those wondering whether it's worth getting or not (mostly relevant for console players, as it's included for free in the PC version),here is the review: Click

Cheers,
Zainodis
Zainodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
Fideous

I think it's an outstanding game. Both this one and Shuggy are my favorites. I think so much of the little details went into the game world -- and its the perfect game for Halloween and October, which is right around the corner.
Fideous is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Costume Quest