Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Divinity II

Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
ramze

Newbie needs advice for classes

Started playing the game last night and having fun. Stuck in Farglow trying to decide which class I want to be. From what I could glean from google searches, warriors' completely suck and it would be best to choose archer or mage. Is this true?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
KK_reborn

It might be said that Warriors suck because most enemies can be attacked from a distance so you'll have to close the gap and then fight off several enemies at once. Mage and Archers allow you to pick off targets one by one (most of the time). There's also a Priest class that has summons for attacking and healing.

I personally choose a Rogue (Archer) and I enjoy it a lot. Warriors might be fun since you can add some jump attacks into the mix. You can also use 1 weapon, weapon and shield, or duel weild for extra damage.

Pick whatever intrests you the most. Look at the list of skills and see what looks most interesting to you.
KK_reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
Foey

I played warrior all the way through with no problems with the difficulty.
Foey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
michaelkalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramze View Post
Started playing the game last night and having fun. Stuck in Farglow trying to decide which class I want to be. From what I could glean from google searches, warriors' completely suck and it would be best to choose archer or mage. Is this true?
Nope, not at all. On normal I was able to defeat the endgame boss with 80% hp left without using potions. Life Leech is CRAZY good.
michaelkalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Slyther

First of all that choice you make in Farglow is actually relatively minor, it doesn't lock you into a 'class' so you can as an example freely spend points in say Warrior skills if you chose to have a free point in Fireball. You can always respec when you get to the Battle Tower (It is 8+ hours into the game so you do have to be somewhat careful with your skill choices, you have some room to experiment but don't go jack-of-all trades type thing.) The items you get are also quickly replaced.

And warriors do not suck in this game, they are actually pretty powerful. Early game as a warrior may be tough as you won't have good gear or all the skills you need, but once you get decent health regeneration, strength, vitality, high damage weapons, and a few must haves like evade, life leech, rush attack and such you'll be fine. By the way rush attack closes distances pretty easy, so there is no closing the gap issues.
Slyther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
alexUW

I'm a warrior right now with my first play through only a few hours in.

At first it's hard, but with some time and learning, it's very manageable.
alexUW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
Per Parker

Summoner+warrior is excelent. Concentrate on one summon and heals and rest in warrior skills.
Per Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
colorado

Warriors are very possible to playthrough as. The only problem with playing a warrior that I found was that the jump attack is so over powered compared to his normal attack, and you soak up so much damage doing the normal attack (as you are usually surrounded so you will take damage if you stay on the ground), that for the entire first half of the game (and most of the second, even) you will basically just be spamming the same jump attack over and over and over. Which can get a bit tedious (not to mention kind of hard on the thumbs). Once you upgrade your crits and get the bleed, regen, and leech life skills, using a larger variety of attacks becomes more feasible-but this doesn't happen until late mid game, so up until that point you are pretty fragile

So, yeah, playing as a warrior is definitely possible, I'm just not sure I'd recommend it mainly because I think it's much more dull compared to playing as a mage or ranger. If you play a warrior on the hardest difficulty (as I did) 90% of the game in the first half will be doing a bunch of jump attacks, running away and waiting for ages for your health to respawn, then repeating over and over again.

Which might be my biggest problem with this game. I'd rather they just removed the health respawn system entirely and just made health potions more plentiful. As it is, most of your playtime will just be standing around and waiting for your health to regen.

It's a good game otherwise, though.

Last edited by colorado: 01-31-2012 at 04:42 PM.
colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
Steadios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Parker View Post
Summoner+warrior is excelent. Concentrate on one summon and heals and rest in warrior skills.
that's what i am doing summoner/warrior, the ghost heals as you fight, and the demon and pet are well strong in a fight, it helps to have these allies in later stages in the game, when there are hoards of enemies in the Dragon areas.
Steadios is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Divinity II