Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alpha Protocol

Old 09-23-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
killkhan

Walking on PC

Wow, such small things can have such big impacts on games, like not being able to walk so any immersion is ruined in a game where stealth and espionage are a huge part of it.

I mean seriously, no walking? That's such a pathetically lazy piece of porting to pc I almost want to cry. Yes, you can walk on consoles, but not pc, and I know the animation is there as the main guy is walking at the start. Just astoundingly lazy. It would have taken no effort to put in the game.

Is it worth £2? Absolutely, in fact it's worth more as it's a good game, but sadly running around like the crapiest stealth secret agent ever just kills it for me. For instance, you go and talk to somebody but sort of run over there, arms and legs flailing, and smash into the guy face first like some sort of stupid dog happy to see it's owner!

Such a silly and small thing to leave out, but I'm sure a lot of people aren't so bothered about it and I would still recommend people buy it, especially for £2.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
FetusZero

You can walk on PC too, the real problem here is you can't walk with a keyboard, since walking and running is all a difference of how far you push the joystick on a gamepad, and keyboards aren't pressure sensitive. That is, unless they patched in a key to walk, but I wouldn't know yet, currently downloading the game, so that's just what I heard.

Last edited by FetusZero: 09-23-2011 at 03:41 AM.
FetusZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:53 AM   #3
killkhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetusZero View Post
You can walk on PC too, the real problem here is you can't walk with a keyboard, since walking and running is all a difference of how far you push the joystick on a gamepad, and keyboards aren't pressure sensitive. That is, unless they patched in a key to walk, but I wouldn't know yet, currently downloading the game, so that's just what I heard.
Yeah, I realise this but it's still very lazy not to add the option in.
killkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
FetusZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by killkhan View Post
Yeah, I realise this but it's still very lazy not to add the option in.
Agreed. I personally don't mind playing with my X360 controller, but I do know some people would highly prefer being able to play accordingly with a keyboard and a mouse (which I do for FPS, but don't mind the controller in third-person).

I know it might be stupid, but have you tried crouching instead of walking? I only played a few minutes to check if everything was fine, but my guess is if you "run" around while crouching it would make things easier and closer to actually sneaking.
FetusZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
killkhan

Quote:

I know it might be stupid, but have you tried crouching instead of walking? I only played a few minutes to check if everything was fine, but my guess is if you "run" around while crouching it would make things easier and closer to actually sneaking.
This just doesn't cut it for me. I either run around like a crap spy or I sneak every where in situations that just don't call for it.

I've actually uninstalled the game because of the no walking problem. It's just daft and ruins any immersion I might have had, so there is just no point in me playing anymore as I'm just going through the motions.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:36 AM   #6
Valdorganos

Quote:
Originally Posted by killkhan View Post
This just doesn't cut it for me. I either run around like a crap spy or I sneak every where in situations that just don't call for it.

I've actually uninstalled the game because of the no walking problem. It's just daft and ruins any immersion I might have had, so there is just no point in me playing anymore as I'm just going through the motions.
Looks like a post from an alien, you are from Ganymede? Did you used that much walk in DXHR? Mmm and I have another game you must skip if you don't want play it in an isometric view, The Witcher 1, no walk, but great RPG quite better than the 2 for me and despite you can walk.
Valdorganos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:24 AM   #7
killkhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdorganos View Post
Looks like a post from an alien, you are from Ganymede? Did you used that much walk in DXHR? Mmm and I have another game you must skip if you don't want play it in an isometric view, The Witcher 1, no walk, but great RPG quite better than the 2 for me and despite you can walk.
An alien? I'm a little confused at your comments, as I'm sure most people would be.

Here's something for you to churn around in that linear brain of yours, but be careful when contemplating what I say as it just might blow your mind - Just because you like a game, or a certain way of doing things, it doesn't mean that everybody else does. And guess what, I actually preferred The Witcher 2 to The Witcher 1!

I know, crazy isn't it?
Old 09-24-2011, 04:51 AM   #8
Valdorganos

killkhan: You highlight that no walking is enough to make you drop and not play the game. That's what is for me strange/weird/alien/impossible to understand.

Just one detail blocking you, here what I read in your post.

EDIT: And how you could compare The Witcher 1 and The Witcher 2 because you never played The Witcher 1 as it has no walking?

Last edited by Valdorganos: 09-24-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Valdorganos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Aceofbase

Smile

Quote:
You can walk on PC too, the real problem here is you can't walk with a keyboard, since walking and running is all a difference of how far you push the joystick on a gamepad, and keyboards aren't pressure sensitive.
They could've just do it like it was in Splinter Cell, assign the walk/run speed to mousewheel. It'd make much more sense actually than using it for weapons actually seeing how you can have only two of those anyway, so it's real redundant instead of just utilizing a toggle button for the weap change.

Also, I do must point out, that even though I am no way that desperate to throw out a game just because I can't walk in it and after a couple of hours of gameplay I got used to it, I did irk and annoy me to no end at the begging and still wished there was such an option. As it was already mentioned, it just breaks the feeling of immersion for me - I always walked my way in the Hitman or Splinter Cell unless there was a reason to do otherwise. I just liked to stroll around and feel like a badass.

Also, even though this doesn't matter as much in FPP games since you don't actually see the animation, I actually did walk a good chunk of the capital wasteland in F3. Just felt that's what you would do in a world like this instead of constantly running like a hyperactive maniac.
Aceofbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:54 AM   #10
Aceofbase

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up, that after roaming and plowing through thhe "modding" thread at http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php...c=55422&st=195 and the great neat little fixes there are posted and tinkering around them myself I came up with a pretty much best way of implementing "walking" into the keyboard+mouse combo on the PC.

All you have to do is go to ...\Steam\steamapps\common\alpha protocol\APGame\Config , open the DefaultInput.ini file and edit the following lines:

Exchange the first 4 lines just after ";General Bindings" to:

Code:
; --- General bindings
+Bindings=(Name="MoveForward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=0.2")
+Bindings=(Name="MoveBackward",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-0.2")
+Bindings=(Name="StrafeLeft",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-0.2")
+Bindings=(Name="StrafeRight",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=+0.2")
and add these lines after ";Player Movement"
Code:
+Bindings=(Name="W",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
+Bindings=(Name="S",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
+Bindings=(Name="A",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
+Bindings=(Name="D",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
+Bindings=(Name="W",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True)
+Bindings=(Name="S",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True)
+Bindings=(Name="A",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True)
+Bindings=(Name="D",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=1.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True)
And save it.

This way your Mike will now be able to walk and actually sneak instead of doing his little rearend dance with just holding the LeftAlt key.
Aceofbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #11
Lowlightt

All of this is mute though as walking does not offer anything to the game as there is no detection difference from sneak running and sneak walking or running and walking. If you run or walk enemies will still hear and spot you the same. Same for sneaking.
Lowlightt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
HomerPepsi

I'm gonna say what I've always said, this game was designed with the 360 pad in mind only. The kbm controls are a pure port. No point in fighting fate, if you have a gamepad use it, as the experience is made 10 fold better. Else, if you don't mind not walking and can hack with the kbm, then use kbm.

I used to be pretty gungho about being only kbm, but the industry has changed and its good to have a 360 pad to enjoy the 3rd person shooters (really the only genre pads are usefull for).
HomerPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #13
FrozenCommand

what do you need walking for? Its is so not needed in this game, just go into the "i-crapped-my-pants" stealth mode and its the same (speed) as walking
FrozenCommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
dixieflatline07

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerPepsi View Post
I'm gonna say what I've always said, this game was designed with the 360 pad in mind only. The kbm controls are a pure port. No point in fighting fate, if you have a gamepad use it, as the experience is made 10 fold better. Else, if you don't mind not walking and can hack with the kbm, then use kbm.

I used to be pretty gungho about being only kbm, but the industry has changed and its good to have a 360 pad to enjoy the 3rd person shooters (really the only genre pads are usefull for).
This.

I wouldn't play Rock Band without a guitar controller.
I wouldn't play DDR without a dance pad.
I wouldn't play a flight sim without a flight stick.
I wouldn't play a fighting game without an arcade pad.
I wouldn't play a racing game without a wheel.
I wouldn't play a RTS without a mouse and key board.

Why the hell would I play a third-person sneaker without a control pad?
dixieflatline07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alpha Protocol