Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Metro 2033

Old 12-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
bloit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy Druid View Post
@bloit.

How hot is the gfx card getting?. Does it have that effect immediately? or does it only happen after playing for a little while?
GFX memory issues sometimes have similar effects.

Try downloading HWINFO32 or HWINFO64 (depending on your OS) to reference your GFX temps.
Pay particular attention to the GFX memory temps.
the issues constantly appear at any time. no matter how long i play or just started the game...

sadly i dont have a temp sensor on my graphic card.
all programms cannot read any temperature without the sensor.
but i tried to cool it down with a huge extra fan on my pc case, so it cant be a temperature thing.
bloit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #17
merp4life

...What exactly is screen tearing and why is it bad?
merp4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #18
Remer

Quote:
Originally Posted by merp4life View Post
Screen tearing is a visual artifact in games or video where where two different frames are shown in a single screen draw.

Here's an example - http://cdn.overclock.net/0/08/0820e5...ach106180.jpeg

Metro 2033 suffers greatly from this artifact due to it's surprising lack of vsync. Luckily, I like many others have found a solution. Hence this post.
Remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
Jeffro

This should have been fixed by the developers a long time ago, not real sure about purchasing Last Light(ever, even for $1) if they arent even willing to fix a problem that this many people have had. Waht if LL has little to no post release support as well? We're all SOL again.
Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #20
Remer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
This should have been fixed by the developers a long time ago, not real sure about purchasing Last Light(ever, even for $1) if they arent even willing to fix a problem that this many people have had. Waht if LL has little to no post release support as well? We're all SOL again.
I don't really care man. Last Light is going to rock and of course it will have some launch bugs. But overall I'm sure it will prove to be an amazing experience.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #21
weyland_yutani

D3DOverrider does wonders for this game, zero tearing and butter smooth.
weyland_yutani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #22
ALG (• ε •)

So, I never had screen tearing back on my nvidia 9600GT with Metro, played flawlessly
Now I got myself a gtx560ti and wanted to replay it with good graphics, physx and all that jazz but I had screen tearing out the
I turned on vsync using the method in the OP, and realized that the vsync caps my fps at 30 instead of 60 for some reason..
I find 30 fps to be completely unplayable, so I'd rather play with screen tearing :(
ALG (• ε •) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #23
Remer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALG (• ε •) View Post
So, I never had screen tearing back on my nvidia 9600GT with Metro, played flawlessly
Now I got myself a gtx560ti and wanted to replay it with good graphics, physx and all that jazz but I had screen tearing out the
I turned on vsync using the method in the OP, and realized that the vsync caps my fps at 30 instead of 60 for some reason..
I find 30 fps to be completely unplayable, so I'd rather play with screen tearing
That's strange, this method doesn't cap your framerate. You've got some other issue man.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #24
sentinel21

D3DOverrider won't launch from my start menu. I have an active process but when I click on it no window opens. Anyone know what's up?

EDIT: never mind. It just took five or ten minutes to launch for some reason, and it's working now.

Last edited by sentinel21: 03-22-2012 at 01:43 PM.
sentinel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #25
Austin007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy Druid View Post
@bloit.

How hot is the gfx card getting?. Does it have that effect immediately? or does it only happen after playing for a little while?
GFX memory issues sometimes have similar effects.

Try downloading HWINFO32 or HWINFO64 (depending on your OS) to reference your GFX temps.
Pay particular attention to the GFX memory temps.
Is the memory temp much different than the GPU temp?

MSI Afterburner is telling me my 560Ti is peaking at 56C, now that I've got Vsync forced on and both cfg files tweaked. Fraps says fps is locked at 60, so I'm sure vsync is working, tearing is gone. But this game still makes the GPU fan max out, at least for the profile I have it set to, is the game really that demanding? It's on High setting, looks and runs great.
Austin007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #26
Jeffro

Just to let everyone know, I downloaded the latest nvidia drivers for my GTX460 and forced v-sync in Nvidia control panel and I have no tearing without using D3DOverrider.

*note, I recently changed my PC setup to an HDTV, so it is possible that the screen tearing is just less noticeable(because I'm further away from the screen now). Would love to get confirmation from other nvidia card users if it is indeed fixed.
Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #27
TheB1GLebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis82F View Post
or u can just mod the user.cfg files located in 3 places
(assuming you installed steam in C:\program files(x86), this can vary from user to user)

C:\Users\-your name\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro 2033\user.cfg
C:\Program Files(x86)\steam\userdata\-some number representing your userdata i guess-\43110\remote\user.cfg
C:\Program Files(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\metro 2033\user.cfg

in each of these edit the line r_vsync off to r_vsync on.
This worked 100% for me, its noob proof imo (given you don't mess with other lines) and if fails u can always delete em and game should generate another one (although can't say for sure, just back each one just in case your paranoid about it)
Noob proof....doubt it. Im very noob and cant find any of this, or make it work. Please make a better guide, thanks.
TheB1GLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #28
Razorbak86

NVIDIA Adaptive VSync

If you have an NVIDIA card, download the latest beta driver from the 300 release group (e.g., currently Verde 301.24, released April 9, 2012), and set up a "Metro 2033" profile on your NVIDIA Control Panel using the new Adaptive VSync technology. This will give you the best blend of performance between uncapped frame rates below your monitor's refresh rate and the absence of screen tearing for frame rates above the refresh rate.

Below is a detailed review of Adaptive VSync by Hard|OCP, and a YouTube video showing a side-by-side comparison of Adaptive VSync to Normal VSync.

Excerpt from the Hard|OTC article:

"The Bottom Line...

With Adaptive VSync turned on, the feeling of the game felt smoother compared to regular VSync turned on. The performance felt much like the game felt with VSync turned off. This is the kind of technology we like to see which has improved the innate nature of the gameplay experience. If all you need is 60 FPS in a game for it to be playable, then why not just go ahead and cap the game there so it doesn't exceed your refresh rate. Then, if the game has to fall below that, allow the game to perform at its real-time actual framerate, and Adaptive VSync allows that. It really is the best of all worlds, with no drawbacks. We didn't find any negatives to using Adaptive VSync, and we tried it out in a handful of games."

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...ology_review/1

YouTube video showing side-by-side comparisons, with frame rates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVdDeIm0YN8

Last edited by Razorbak86: 05-24-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Razorbak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #29
mfdsrax2

I have screen tearing problems too.But there's something different.

If DirectX version is set to 9,the game runs perfectly without any screen problems.
But if it's set to 11,the screen tears.I don't know why,but you could try setting DirectX to 9 and see if this problem persists.
mfdsrax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #30
mfdsrax2

Quote:
Originally Posted by merp4life View Post
Just take a look at my screenshot and you know everything.

https://public.blu.livefilestore.com...001.jpg?psid=1
mfdsrax2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Metro 2033