Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Old 02-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #91
apdonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossip View Post
Well, ok, but I personally wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than parity with windows on this. It's not like valve can blame drivers on this. Using 10% of CPU with the window closed is really still unacceptable imo, it's still going to leach your battery life in a bad way.

And as far as your quad core, i'm pretty sure it's using 25% of a single core or about 6.25 of all 4 cores. Still not good, but perhaps not as bad as you previously thought.
Well I doubt 25% of my overall cpu being used is equivalent to 25% of one core. As I stated before, I have 4 cores, so no matter which way you look at it, I'm losing the equivalent of one core overall, whether or not it is divided up among my other cores makes no difference in terms of performance. (or at least very little)

Even if it isn't as bad as it looks, the steam client shouldn't be anymore demanding as Safari...
apdonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #92
masterchef341

I started another thread to explain the cpu confusion- you're not the only one having it.

if activity monitor is showing steam at 25% CPU, that means 25% of one core, not 25% of your overall CPU power. If you have a quad core, that means ~6% of your overall CPU power. It's still too high, but it's less ridiculous than maxing out a whole core. Steam does a bit more than safari, and it has to maintain a constant connection because it does IM and some other things in addition to being a browser, but it should be idling under or around 1-2% of one core regardless. It's about 1 order of magnitude too expensive on the CPU.

Last edited by masterchef341: 02-07-2012 at 12:40 PM.
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #93
apdonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef341 View Post
I started another thread to explain the cpu confusion- you're not the only one having it.

if activity monitor is showing steam at 25% CPU, that means 25% of one core, not 25% of your overall CPU. If you have a quad core, that means ~6% of your overall CPU. It's still too high, but it's less ridiculous than maxing out a whole core. Steam does a bit more than safari, and it has to maintain a constant connection because it does IM and some other things in addition to being a browser, but it should be idling under or around 1-2% of one core regardless. It's about 1 order of magnitude too expensive on the CPU.
Okay, I wasn't aware of that. I'll keep that in mind.

I don't think I've noticed any of my games reaching above 100% cpu usage which is why I assumed it was for overall cpu.

I'm shocked that source games don't use more than one of my cores...

Putting that in perspective, should steam even be in the ballpark of 1/4 as demanding as Portal? No, no way.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #94
bluesdealer

I guess I'll weigh in on this, too.

I'm using a Macbook Pro 2011 with quad-core i7 and sitting at 20-24%, basically maxing out one core, on idle.
This is a killer for battery life, game performance, and whole-system performance.
I've seen malware that has less detrimental effects than the current version of Steam does.

For a product I've put so much money into, this in inexcusable.
Valve made a big promise to Mac-owning gamers when they committed to OSX as a platform.
I remember how exciting it was for Macs to adopt Intel processors and then for Steam to finally run on Macs; it looked like Mac gaming was poised for a return to the golden days when it defined the PC game market.

However, this apparently was a nothing more than a sloppy gesture by Valve to squeeze a few bucks out of us without actually delivering on performance or support.
The selection of games has been sparse. I'll give them some kudos for releasing their 1st party games duel-platform, but when compared to, say, Blizzard, and even some 3rd party ports, there's a huge performance disparity between the Windows and OSX versions.
Furthermore, I can go find plenty of Mac games elsewhere and, when I check Steam, the same games are Windows-only.

I sincerely hope Valve reconsiders it's stance on the Macintosh platform.
I think there's good money to made from the ever-expanding Mac user base, many of whom would like to stay as far away from Windows as possible, rather than restart into Bootcamp anytime they want to get their game on.
bluesdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #95
Sedrector

I have one core AMD Sempron 2200+ 1,5GHz and i have big computer lags when I use Steam. I have really problem with lags.
Sedrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #96
apdonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesdealer View Post
I guess I'll weigh in on this, too.

I'm using a Macbook Pro 2011 with quad-core i7 and sitting at 20-24%, basically maxing out one core, on idle.
This is a killer for battery life, game performance, and whole-system performance.
I've seen malware that has less detrimental effects than the current version of Steam does.

For a product I've put so much money into, this in inexcusable.
Valve made a big promise to Mac-owning gamers when they committed to OSX as a platform.
I remember how exciting it was for Macs to adopt Intel processors and then for Steam to finally run on Macs; it looked like Mac gaming was poised for a return to the golden days when it defined the PC game market.

However, this apparently was a nothing more than a sloppy gesture by Valve to squeeze a few bucks out of us without actually delivering on performance or support.
The selection of games has been sparse. I'll give them some kudos for releasing their 1st party games duel-platform, but when compared to, say, Blizzard, and even some 3rd party ports, there's a huge performance disparity between the Windows and OSX versions.
Furthermore, I can go find plenty of Mac games elsewhere and, when I check Steam, the same games are Windows-only.

I sincerely hope Valve reconsiders it's stance on the Macintosh platform.
I think there's good money to made from the ever-expanding Mac user base, many of whom would like to stay as far away from Windows as possible, rather than restart into Bootcamp anytime they want to get their game on.
Amen to that.

But according to masterchef341 from a few posts above, that 20% cpu usage is out of 400%.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #97
samsins

correct, mac counts each core as 100%
samsins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #98
masterchef341

indeed. 25% CPU in activity monitor for steam means 25% of one core, not 25% of your overall CPU power. It's not maxing out a core.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:22 AM   #99
excalibur1814

Although I agree that you guys all have issues... QUIT THE DAMN CLIENT instead of leaving it idle. Im sure that valve are aware of the issue
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #100
apdonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
Although I agree that you guys all have issues... QUIT THE DAMN CLIENT instead of leaving it idle. Im sure that valve are aware of the issue
Obviously you need the client in order to play games. I shouldn't have to quit the client every time I launch one of my games.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #101
masterchef341

Quote:
As stated, you have to have the client running in order to play any games, as well as using desktop client features, like chat, voice, etc.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #102
skydragon

Mine hangs around 10-12% (Mac Pro 3.33 ghz 6-core) Lion 10.7.3
Same on my Macbook Pro 2.8 ghz 2-core. Kills battery life and heats it up a good 10˚C.

Adium is the closest in terms of idle CPU usage and it idles at 2.3%

What's Steam doing constantly that requires it to crunch numbers like that?
skydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #103
apdonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydragon View Post
Mine hangs around 10-12% (Mac Pro 3.33 ghz 6-core) Lion 10.7.3
Same on my Macbook Pro 2.8 ghz 2-core. Kills battery life and heats it up a good 10˚C.

Adium is the closest in terms of idle CPU usage and it idles at 2.3%

What's Steam doing constantly that requires it to crunch numbers like that?
The Steam Mac client is trying to figure out a way to make our gaming experience even worse... (there is a lot of number crunching involved to figure that out)
Old 02-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #104
hawttuna

Steam was using over 108% on my Macbook today. O.o
hawttuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #105
Small Waves

Quote:
>Quitting the client
>Which is REQUIRED to be opened to play any Steam games

What is this I don't even
Small Waves is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam