Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Episode One

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 06-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #46
men1kmati

Just finished ep1 again for fun and this bug still exists. after credits i get a black screen. im on win7. no biggy though just find the teaser in the media folder.
men1kmati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #47
gorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrix89 View Post
Just literally finished episode one too and right after the credits when the ep2 trailer starts it black screens with just the sound skipping in the background, I hope it gets fixed.

EDIT: Also the Valve logo startup video is slightly stretched and pauses half way or so through the video and if you press the mouse button a couple of times it gives an hl2.exe has stopped responding error and you need to close it, same as with the Half-Life 2 startup video and I think it started when the engine update came along when it was ported to mac.
As far as the startup video, you can bypass that with the game launch option -novid. Which does nothing for the Ep2 trailer issue...
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:02 AM   #48
tavohustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrix89 View Post
Just literally finished episode one too and right after the credits when the ep2 trailer starts it black screens with just the sound skipping in the background, I hope it gets fixed.

EDIT: Also the Valve logo startup video is slightly stretched and pauses half way or so through the video and if you press the mouse button a couple of times it gives an hl2.exe has stopped responding error and you need to close it, same as with the Half-Life 2 startup video and I think it started when the engine update came along when it was ported to mac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by men1kmati View Post
Just finished ep1 again for fun and this bug still exists. after credits i get a black screen. im on win7. no biggy though just find the teaser in the media folder.
i have the same problems i finished the game and after the credit the black screen apeears and only sound then my save is ''lost'' i only have the automatic savegame and i want to do the zombie burner achievemnt (i dont know the enligh name i have the game in spanish and sorry for my bad english) and when the game crash after the credits the zombie burned account says that i havent burned any zombie and the last three capthers aren opened but when i run the game from the last automatic savegame (that is just seconds before getting in in the train to escape from 17 city) the game says that i have 10 zombies burned... and then its when the game shows the credits and then the black screen and game crashes
what i can do?..
im running the game in windows 7 ultimate 64 bits please fix it

Last edited by tavohustler: 08-04-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #49
gorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavohustler View Post
i only have the automatic savegame and i want to do the zombie burner achievemnt (i dont know the enligh name i have the game in spanish and sorry for my bad english) and when the game crash after the credits the zombie burned account says that i havent burned any zombie and the last three capthers aren opened but when i run the game from the last automatic savegame (that is just seconds before getting in in the train to escape from 17 city) the game says that i have 10 zombies burned... and then its when the game shows the credits and then the black screen and game crashes
what i can do?..
im running the game in windows 7 ultimate 64 bits please fix it
For me, the Zombie-que (English) achievement says I need to burn 15 zombies. You may need to burn more. (Check the achievement list in your Steam Library.)

If the problem is not with the number of zombies, rename or delete the file Steam\SteamApps\yourname\half-life 2 episode one\episodic\gamestate.txt.

If you delete the file, information for the other counting achievements (the antlion one, the energy ball one, etc.) will be deleted as well. (Achievements already recorded on the Steam servers won't be affected.)

To get achievements, you need to make sure you're playing with Steam in Online mode (if it loses the connection just when you would get an achievement, it won't be recorded), that you do not have cheats enabled, and that you do not have Commentary mode turned on.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #50
tavohustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorpie View Post
For me, the Zombie-que (English) achievement says I need to burn 15 zombies. You may need to burn more. (Check the achievement list in your Steam Library.)

If the problem is not with the number of zombies, rename or delete the file Steam\SteamApps\yourname\half-life 2 episode one\episodic\gamestate.txt.

If you delete the file, information for the other counting achievements (the antlion one, the energy ball one, etc.) will be deleted as well. (Achievements already recorded on the Steam servers won't be affected.)

To get achievements, you need to make sure you're playing with Steam in Online mode (if it loses the connection just when you would get an achievement, it won't be recorded), that you do not have cheats enabled, and that you do not have Commentary mode turned on.
im trying to say that i made 10 zombie burne i know tht the achievemnt say must to burn 15 but the account restart to 0 when i was burned 10 and only 5 more to the achievemnt...
Old 08-05-2010, 04:34 AM   #51
gorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavohustler View Post
im trying to say that i made 10 zombie burne i know tht the achievemnt say must to burn 15 but the account restart to 0 when i was burned 10 and only 5 more to the achievemnt...
This problem does not even belong in this thread. If you want answers from more people, you should probably make a new thread in this forum.

I haven't tried to get this achievement yet, but you probably have to start a new game (you can probably start in Chapter 3). Achievements like this normally count from the beginning, and if you make it through to the end without managing to qualify for it, you're just not going to get it.

I know you can set zombies on fire with flares in addition to exploding barrels, but that's about all I can say.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #52
cradchaw

Just replayed ep1 on new machine-- win7 64 bit 19:10 res and following the credits I only got sound no video, then the game crashed. 1st and only crash of ep1, and it is unfortunate that it happens as the very last thing to happen in the game. Otherwise an awesome experience.
cradchaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #53
PinkRabi

I managed to get the video to play (previously only had sound, then it would crash) by playing the last tiny part of the game in windowed mode so that played the video windowed as well. Didn't care too much about seeing the video but I found that until I did this I could only start a new game from the very beginning as it obviously crashed before triggering the "I've finished the game, so let me start from anywhere" switch.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:03 AM   #54
Chocolatelove67

Oh same here...... Game ends credits roll then black screen with audio, but no video...

But see below I just found a solution of sorts.

Last edited by Chocolatelove67: 01-01-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Chocolatelove67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #55
Chocolatelove67

I have a solution of sorts but it's cumbersome

Ctrl+Alt+Del once you have chosen the trailer from the menu go to Task Manager and close that once it is open and you see the trailer video......

But to do all that is stupid and long winded......Why didn't it just start from the menu?
Chocolatelove67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #56
nago

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRabi View Post
I managed to get the video to play (previously only had sound, then it would crash) by playing the last tiny part of the game in windowed mode so that played the video windowed as well. Didn't care too much about seeing the video but I found that until I did this I could only start a new game from the very beginning as it obviously crashed before triggering the "I've finished the game, so let me start from anywhere" switch.
Thanks for this, a perfectly reasonable workaround. With this I was able to "complete" the game, unlocking commentary for Chapter 5.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #57
J.S.J

Running windowed mode, worked for me too, w7 64bit.
J.S.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #58
jsmucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.J View Post
Running windowed mode, worked for me too, w7 64bit.
-Worked for me as well. Vista here.
jsmucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #59
mes_gots_its

Ironically the black screen was more accurate about the future than the "Coming Soon" video itself.
mes_gots_its is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #60
simon_brown75

Just finished EP1 and got the black screen followed by a crash. Seems like everyone gets it. You'd think with their 73 bajillion dollars valve could afford to fix it.

Anyway, the windowed mode trick got the video to play and the game to end correctly without crashing.
simon_brown75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Episode One