Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > X-COM series

Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
stella artois

X-Com Apocalypse Question

I played X-Com Apocalypse many years ago when i was around 12-13 for 6+ months. I just mentioned the age as my fragile little mind may have been a little slow and that reflects 1-2 months of an adult gaming but nevertheless for a kid of that age it was almost a lifetime of gaming.

I then hilariously lost my saved games after a Windows 95 or 98 beta install resulted in an unsolvable BSOD on boot. I did not recover from this episode and could never face going back to it, my brother would often bring it up and laugh at how much effort I'd lost which resulted in a good whupping for him every now and again.

Now my question is good people, should I finally pick this up again and risk mutilating this epic memory of my childhood if it doesn't live up to standardst or is there something newer you might recommend instead?

Never played any of the other X-Coms but I think Apocalypse was the last of the strategy games?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
NotVeryOriginal

All X-com games are on sale, with the complete pack being only $4! I'd get that one and play X-Com UFO Defense first. It lacks the real time option, but it's a better game overall.

You could also read a little of this Let's Play thread to see if it ignites your imagination like it did for me:

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/XCOMUFODefense/index.html

FYI, I just purchased it myself.
NotVeryOriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Roast Beef

Get it then teach me how to play haha.
I only ever played UFO defense and Terror From The Deep and can't figure Apocalypse out. Somewhere I have a couple of psOne memory cards with several months worth of terror from the deep saves on. I'd love to continue from there on PC.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Threesixtyci

I never liked Apocalypse... Battle Map was too huge for turned based play, and they'd never do what you wanted them to do in realtime play. Plus, losing everyone due to a singe building collapse from a UFO attack wasn't fun, either.
Threesixtyci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
RottenApple32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella artois View Post
I played X-Com Apocalypse many years ago when i was around 12-13 for 6+ months. I just mentioned the age as my fragile little mind may have been a little slow and that reflects 1-2 months of an adult gaming but nevertheless for a kid of that age it was almost a lifetime of gaming.

I then hilariously lost my saved games after a Windows 95 or 98 beta install resulted in an unsolvable BSOD on boot. I did not recover from this episode and could never face going back to it, my brother would often bring it up and laugh at how much effort I'd lost which resulted in a good whupping for him every now and again.

Now my question is good people, should I finally pick this up again and risk mutilating this epic memory of my childhood if it doesn't live up to standardst or is there something newer you might recommend instead?

Never played any of the other X-Coms but I think Apocalypse was the last of the strategy games?
Don't hesitate - buy it! You will love it just as much as you did when you were a child - you might find some new tactics as well. For example, when I bought UFO Enemy Unknown again, I discovered a tactic of using an Alien blaster launcher to blow a small hole in the top of a larger UFO. That way, you can attack from two different directions - if
Spoiler:
(you have troops with the flying suit).
RottenApple32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
Pastshelfdate

I've loved all the X-Com series that I could find: up through Interceptor. The first two games had visually gorgeous terrain. Apocalypse wasn't bad, either for visuals, and much more varied.

If you do play Terror from the Deep again, or find UFO: Extraterrestrials (a very nice turn-based update of UFO Defense), be aware that the last mission, vs. the big alien boss, is one long mission, with game saving disabled. Before I started the last TftD mission, I blocked out a whole day on a weekend, and I made sure to take breaks - up to an hour - with the game left running. Get up and walk around. I think I walked a mile, just to get my system moving and fully awake.

Both last missions were fun and varied, and because I'd played the game long enough to fully develop my agents, the end result was never in doubt. You don't have to play that way. You'll have more suspense if you try the last mission as soon as it's possible. Have fun!

By the way, you may be able to pick up a working PS1 cheaply, through eBay, or some such. I don't know what cables would work with it and your current system, but I still have a 3.5 floppy drive on one of my PCs, and it still works.

Last edited by Pastshelfdate: 11-11-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Misremembered quote
Pastshelfdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
Pastshelfdate

Lightbulb Same experiences with agents and buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threesixtyci View Post
I never liked Apocalypse... Battle Map was too huge for turned based play, and they'd never do what you wanted them to do in realtime play. Plus, losing everyone due to a singe building collapse from a UFO attack wasn't fun, either.
I've cussed at my agents for not going where I told them to go, or staying there, if they ever got where I wanted them. However, it was never more than a small minority of agents, usually one or two. This was especially aggravating when trying to get agents to retreat from hyper-worms, while other agents covered them.

Using the multiple saved game slots, every second or two, is essential, but it takes some patience to get used to it. Beating the aliens always made it worthwhile for me.

To get a troublesome agent to go where directed, I usually succeeded well enough by shortening the distance from where the agent is to where I wanted him or her to go. Sometimes this was only a couple of squares. This meant I had to be ready to pause the game in a split second, so I could set the next way point.

Speaking of way points, I don't remember if it is possible in the game to set way points for agents. I know it's possible for flying craft over the city and over the alien dimension. Way points were very handy for dodging enemy - and friendly - fire.

And yes, I watched a few times as a fragile slum building collapsed on one of my bases. I wasn't worried, as I'd been saving the game every few seconds (This works if you treat the save list as a loop; you have several saves before you have to go back to the beginning and write over a save.).

When I knew enemy fire was threatening to collapse a building on a base, I would go back to a save point that allowed me to converge my interceptors and concentrate fire on whatever alien craft were threatening the base. I was never stuck with losing agents to such a collapse, and I've played the game all the way through, twice.

It's not perfect. There are aggravating bits, such as the disobedient agents, lucky hits by aliens or cultists (I HATE rocket launchers!), and the game crashes more than all the other games I've ever played, put together. Yet I was always able to work around the problems.

In return, I got music that never bored or irritated, a mix of building, strategy, tactics, and even a little real-world economics - a combination I can't even get from Sid Meier's Civilization. And I get buildings with quirky names such as Gygax Memorial, Scrooge Mansions, Edifice Tower, and I've just been told by a friend that much of the naming (such as a police station called Judgment Central) is obviously inspired by naming in the Judge Dread comics.

I also get alien space ships that in a way are also comical. One looks like a light bulb. Others look as though they were pastries and breads made by a baker with a twisted color sense.

And toward the end of the game, with toxiguns firing Toxin C, the shields that look like tennis rackets, and above all, two personal teleporters per agent, the X-Com forces just roll over the opposition. I can sit back and enjoy the scenery. I can really play around.

You may never try Apocalypse again, but I hope you do, and that you have as much fun as I have had, with my favorite game of all.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
Pastshelfdate

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella artois View Post

I admit that I stopped playing X-Com: Interceptor when I was faced by what seemed an unstoppably large group of alien ships. Emotionally, it was just too much. It had been fun up to that point. I know I'd have fun again, if I tried it again, but I've let the rest of life get in the way. I've still had fun, and so will you, if you never get back to Apocalypse, but I highly recommend the game.

And there's one more thing I'll recommend. Take advantage of the cheap removable media (now thumb drives) and make backups like it's your job. I always ask myself "How much do I want to have to do all over again?" My answer is always "NONE!" So every time I finish playing for a while, I back up my saved games. It only takes about a minute. It'll take a while to pick up the habit, but you'll be glad you did. Oh, wait. You're much older now, and probably already have a great backup habit. Sorry if I offended you and wasted your time.

Now my question is good people, should I finally pick this up again and risk mutilating this epic memory of my childhood if it doesn't live up to standards or is there something newer you might recommend instead?

My vote is a big "Yes!"

I think they're all great. If you have the time and opportunity, I suggest playing all of them, in order, as they are all part of a continuing story: UFO Defense; Terror from the Deep; Apocalypse; Interceptor (which I think is the last of the strategy games). I also recommend UFO: Extraterrestrials, which is a very, very nice turn-based update of UFO Defense.

I covered many details of the good and bad points of Apocalypse in another message in this thread, "Same experiences with agents and buildings" I've never cursed at a game as much, yet I have also never cheered at a game as much. I love building-and-strategy games such as Civilization and Master of Orion (both also Microprose games, back in the Middle Ages); Apocalypse has that and more. I love the details in the fluff text, even for city organizations (such as the two political parties, and the company that makes AI toasters and food processors) that never seem to have an effect on the game. I love the challenge, early in the game, of raising funds and staying within budget.

I love buying loyalty from the gray-alien hybrids and the androids, so more of them show up in the hire-fire screen. I love that these two groups, despised by the rest of the city and isolated in ghettos, become the best agents and ultimately save that same prejudiced city. I can imagine a civil rights movement starting after the war, the same way in the US they really picked up steam after World War Two.

Last edited by Pastshelfdate: 11-11-2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Mis-remembered title of one of my other posts
Old 01-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
Geawiel

Check the agression level on your agents in Apoc if they're not going where you want them. The middle setting (default) is cautious mode. This will cause them to run and try to take cover when they spot an alien. If you put them in full agression mode, they will almost always go where you tell them to go.
Geawiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Lunarin

Yeah on aggressive they should only disobey your orders if their way is blocked, or if another agent (or a civ) needs them to move to get to their destination.
Lunarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
NKF

Or if standing in fire. Agents always flee if standing in fire regardless of the disposition settings.

Cautious - in real time you generally better results by keeping an eye ne everyone and manually ordering troops to seek cover while aggressive. I haven't used it much, but I suspect it may have a better application in turn based combat. I'll leave it to those that know better to confirm or deny this.

'Normal' mode has a useful application in real time combat as it confers a sidestepping ability when you place an agent diagonally on a corner. If the agent is under attack, the agent will automatically start strafing in and out behind the wall and return fire every so often. It might be worth occasionally switching agents back to 'normal' if they're standing guard beside pillars or entrances into tunnels, etc.

- NKF
NKF is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > X-COM series