Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dungeons

Old 02-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #16
A Ghost

If you like this game, you are stupid.
I know; that sounds insulting, but it's also the truth.
A Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #17
Alinon

Totally agree, terrible game. I just wish I had waited for a demo before paying full price back when this first came out. Such a god awful waste of money.
Alinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
Imi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinon View Post
I just wish I had waited for a demo before paying full price back when this first came out.
Demo came out the same day as the release, dude. (Which was 14 days IIRC before steam release...)
Imi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #19
jnecros

This is sloppy, tower defense style shovelware that forces player to hand out soapy handjobs before killing the invading pixel heroes.

The devs' shameless plundering Overlord's character and goblin minion was despicable, and should not be rewarded with a purchase.

The underhanded tactics used by gamemakers, who propagated implicit hype over being the 'spiritual successor' to Dungeon Keeper, should be enough to strongly discourage anyone from buying anything with this corporation's logo on it in future, but it will not sadly.
jnecros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #20
Saint Isz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnecros View Post
The devs' shameless plundering Overlord's character and goblin minion was despicable, and should not be rewarded with a purchase.
Hey now, lets not pretend the Overlord and his minions were some sort of original creation. It's Sauron leading around a bunch of gremlins. Everything is derivative.
Saint Isz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #21
TheInsaneDump

So, the base game isn't worth $5? Can we get some honest opinions aside from those who were foolish enough to believe this was a spiritual Dungeon Keeper remake?
TheInsaneDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #22
johnpeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyugie View Post
You shoot a duck expecting to have deer for dinner, you're going to be dissapointed that dinner doesn't taste like deer meat.
I'm SO stealing that - excellent comment!
johnpeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #23
onaccountof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_Pope_Ever View Post
Dear people thinking about buying this game,

This game is terrible. To any one browsing the forums to see if this is a good game, it is not. This is a terrible game. Please take into consideration that ANOTHER person felt ripped off enough to start a "this game sucks thread". You will thank me if you skip over this game and save your money. If you do buy this game then in a week when you look at your library you will go "oh no I can't believe I paid money for this game, I should have listened to that handsome gentleman on the forums!" So don't be a sucker like me, skip this game! (Also look into dungeon defenders on steam, it appears to be like Dungeons if Dungeons was a fun, well made game)
Love,
Ripped off consumer.

P.S. This game is terrible.

P.S.S. Yeah it really is that terrible.
You spout a lot of blah,blah, but never said why.
Next time, at least try explain why you didn't like it.
You come off as a whiny, crying, little kid, who writes a lot about nothing.
onaccountof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #24
Icerack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInsaneDump View Post
So, the base game isn't worth $5? Can we get some honest opinions aside from those who were foolish enough to believe this was a spiritual Dungeon Keeper remake?
Ok, I'll first state that I pre-ordered this on release and got burnt by the 'spiritual successor' and had my expectations shot. Stupid old me.

After getting over the disappointment, I tried this. First be aware the first couple of missions are effectively tutorials, and they're really boring scripted efforts. The people who say it's more theme dungeon are probably closer in truth than a tower defence, as it's like you have 'visitors' and you have to do things with them to farm them of energy. I didn't finish it myself as I just got bored as I never liked theme park or hospital type games anyway. It was somewhat buggy on release which frustrated me, I can't comment on it now.

From a personal level, I'd never pre-order anything from the devs again. Maybe if it was a great game I'd buy after I saw reviews and youtube vids and stuff. It is alright saying it's solely our fault who pre-ordered, but it felt like a terrible bait-and-switch, and yes, we're all dumbasses for falling for it.

On sale is it worth it? If the DLCs don't really change the game (can't comment as I only have the base game), I'd say it depends on whether you like fairly average theme games, possibly the art my be plus if you like the styling, so it's perhaps a steal. Otherwise, if you expecting any other type of game (and especially a DK game) you may want to give it a miss.
Icerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #25
Mr_Eon

I'm not going to discuss the 'spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper' debacle. As a lot of people have said, YES their marketing played fast and loose with expectations, but they never said ANYWHERE that this was a DK remake. It's sad, really, because a DK remake would have been a lot more fun than what they did deliver up, but that shouldn't really factor into discussions of the game they ACTUALLY made.

Which is dire. Awful. Dreadful.

Why am I here talking about a game I don't like? It's my version of community service. Look at the posts on this board asking if the game is any good and if they should buy it! I'm doing my part for the PC gaming community, that's all. It makes me feel better about myself.

The central premise of the game is that the evilest thing you can do is to provide wandering heroes witha big shiny dungeon for them to come and sate their different hungers in. Each type of hero has different wants - some want combat with denizens, others want loot and traps to outsmart and some want hidden knowledge. You set your dungeon up to lead these hapless heroes by the hand from pleasure to pleasure until they're good and sated and THEN you swoop in to off them and feed on the soul energy that all this indulgence has created.

That's the premise. You will be spending equal time spreading little breadcrumbs of joy through the mostly pre-designed dungeon layouts and frantically rushing between the exits to make sure that sated heroes don't escape.

If that doesn't sound like the ultimate in demeaning jobs for a so-called evil overlord then I don't know what is. It has been equated with turning tricks on a street corner and whilst distasteful that comparison is quite apropos.
Mr_Eon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #26
donoghu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Eon View Post
I'm not going to discuss the 'spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper' debacle. As a lot of people have said, YES their marketing played fast and loose with expectations, but they never said ANYWHERE that this was a DK remake. It's sad, really, because a DK remake would have been a lot more fun than what they did deliver up, but that shouldn't really factor into discussions of the game they ACTUALLY made.

Which is dire. Awful. Dreadful.

Why am I here talking about a game I don't like? It's my version of community service. Look at the posts on this board asking if the game is any good and if they should buy it! I'm doing my part for the PC gaming community, that's all. It makes me feel better about myself.

The central premise of the game is that the evilest thing you can do is to provide wandering heroes witha big shiny dungeon for them to come and sate their different hungers in. Each type of hero has different wants - some want combat with denizens, others want loot and traps to outsmart and some want hidden knowledge. You set your dungeon up to lead these hapless heroes by the hand from pleasure to pleasure until they're good and sated and THEN you swoop in to off them and feed on the soul energy that all this indulgence has created.

That's the premise. You will be spending equal time spreading little breadcrumbs of joy through the mostly pre-designed dungeon layouts and frantically rushing between the exits to make sure that sated heroes don't escape.

If that doesn't sound like the ultimate in demeaning jobs for a so-called evil overlord then I don't know what is. It has been equated with turning tricks on a street corner and whilst distasteful that comparison is quite apropos.
From what you wrote, this game got a similar "soul" to a old game called "Techmo's Deception" that was on the Playstation (first one). While it was a ugly game which was taking 9 block (out of 12) out of your memory card, which was hard as hell for newcomers (when you can easily die even in the tutorial and are force to replay the intro which is about 5 min long) and which even its name suggest that the publisher/maker might not have liked the result. (The game was made and publish by Techmo and the game is called "Techmo's deception".) At first, I hated this game as I was thinking it was hard and most of the feature were useless. After FOUR years, I took the game out of the shelf and tried it again... it was as hard and ugly as before, but I tried again and again and I finally got through most hardship... and got to see 3 well written ending, read a really long awesome story where I could choose if I would have killed some important characters (your mutual-loved ex-wife, your brother, your nemesis and even your master! Now, I still got it and I find it as one of the best PS game I have played. (All its gold is in it script mixed with your choices and way of playing the game.)
donoghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #27
Saxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaekrex View Post
Why you haters gotta hate? I'm pretty sure if it was just a Dungeon Keeper remake you guys would be here whining about lack of originality.

Not to mention it seems like most of you only played enough to find out it wasn't Dungeon Keeper and then cried TERRIBLE GAME

Why don't you guys either a) give the game a chance to be cool as a NEW spin on the Evil Genius/DK genre, or b) don't whine when you don't research or play a game before you make assumptions about it. , READ THEIR DESCRIPTION OF THE GAMEPLAY.

"But it looks like Dungeon Keeper!"
Seriously? If you mean that you have a top-down view of a dungeon, then yes. Imagine that, in a game called DUNGEONS. In CAPS. OMG ANYONE WHO MAKES A DUNGEON GAME THAT ISN'T A RESKIN OF DUNGEON KEEPER SUCKS. Come on people.

Did you even know what the original features are?

Taken from the "About game" section outlined in plain sight on it's store page:

A mighty hero stalks through a dark, dank dungeon making life miserable for hordes of pitiable monsters as he steals anything and everything not bolted to the floor. Been there, done that - about a thousand times? Then it is definitely time to switch sides and show that hero just who's who in the dungeon!

Assume the role of a mighty (and mighty evil) Dungeon Lord and create your own diabolical demesnes underground. Dim-witted goblin workers tremble as they await your orders and dig corridors and rooms into the rock at your command.

Heroes will visit your dungeon in search of battle and treasure. Naturally, you could always just annihilate them with a snap of your fingers. But isn't it more entertaining and deliciously evil to watch them attain their heart's desire - and then take take it ALL away?

So throw them a few treasures and some equipment, give them a couple of fights for entertainment and cherish and look after them. And once they are finally happy enough - it's time for the "harvest". For happy heroes have more valuable soul energy for you to gleefully extract from them in your prison or torture chamber!

But even though these self-proclaimed warriors for the good are not much more than an excellent source of resources for you, you still should not underestimate them. If you've beaten up too many of their friends, the powerful and vindictive Champions will occasionally make their way to your Dungeon. Perhaps a small sum could persuade them to forget their moral and ethical principles for once?

In addition to the heroes, you should also always keep an wary eye on the underground. For the competition never sleeps, and other Dungeon Lords would like to claim your territory for themselves. As if that were not enough, another Dungeon Lord lives one level below you who, to top it all off, is also your boss and bombards you with useless tasks! Of course, it goes without saying that malicious and sneaky beings such as yourself are already hard at work trying to take his place!

Wow look at that I read for 2 seconds and learned something about it! I guess that is why I spent time playing a game I liked and actually learned how to play instead of trolling their forums telling people the game sucks when reality is that it does exactly what it told you it was going to do, and it is a stable game with interesting and fun gameplay mechanics. That are exactly what it said it would be. Directly underneath the screenshots for the game on its store page you hastily clicked by and ignored.
You are a dense one, a masochist or you work for the Dungeons production team.
Saxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #28
traffichazard

Lightbulb Not as bad as they say. Still not good. Occasionally adequate.

The game isn't as universally horrible as some posters claim, but it does look and play like a low-end budget game that sold for an absurdly high price at launch. Jnecros' basic description was fairly accurate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnecros View Post
This is sloppy, tower defense style shovelware that forces player to hand out soapy handjobs before killing the invading pixel heroes.
Yeah, that's about it. It's an unpolished Dungeon Tycoon game where you need to mug peeps with your Dungeon Lord as they leave. At times it feels like you're less of an evil lord, and more of a babysitter for heroes. It can be quite a lot of fun if you're looking for something new to do with that old dungeon ambiance, but if you prefer your fun carefully prepared according to the formula, cut up into bite-sized chunks and spoon-fed to you, you'll need to look elsewhere.

And srsly, it's just a really mediocre game. Realmforge didn't desecrate the remains of your childhood and sell your mother into depraved slavery for money to build a monument to corporate hubris on the grave. The launch price was ridiculous but if Dungeons is the worst money you've spent, you've led a sheltered life (and didn't buy Spore).

If you're here for the hate, yeah, there's a fair bit to dislike in the product itself. The theatrics of the outraged customers are pretty entertaining though. If you're trying to make a buying decision, get the demo and make up your own mind. Does that seem like too much work? Avoid it - the game would have you throwing things at the screen anyway.

Oh yeah, and if you do decide to buy it wait for sale prices. It's harder to work up an indignant rage over paying less than the cost of a value meal.

Last edited by traffichazard: 05-29-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Helpful Tip
traffichazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #29
Mr_Eon

Actually, traffichazard DOES have a good point there. A lot of my wangst is due to the fact that I bought the damn thing at full price and I feel that is just daylight robbery.

If priced as a budget game, then there's a lot less to shout about.
Mr_Eon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #30
Saxster

The fact remains that there is only one game that I have ever bought on Steam that I wish I could just simply remove from my Library -- and Dungeons is that game. Buy it at a bargain price if any of you wish to do so, but I don't call buying Dungeons at any price a bargain.
Saxster is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dungeons