Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jamestown

Old 12-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
darksurtur

I REALLY, REALLY wish I could buy more continues

I enjoy this game, but also find it frustratingly difficult. I can make it to the final boss of the last chapter, but have not defeated him (or the second boss AFTER that). I suspect I may never finish the game. I just want to see the ending, and would love if I could buy extra continues in order to facilitate that.

-Even if they cost 99999 ducats each
-Even if they are only good for individual levels, not the gauntlet
-Even if they mark you as a cheater or give you a -1,000,000 score penalty to not affect the leaderboards

I know the game is supposed to be hard. I know it is mild on the difficulty scale when it comes to the genre. I know the game is very good at training you to get better.

I still think it's silly for the devs to not allow less hardcore players to see the game's ending.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Cunin

I don't really know if you pushed your limits trying to beat the game or not, but for me it took a while to learn the whole game strategy for a specific ship. You really need to learn every level almost like the palm of your hands, except at the last difficulty level, in which case you need to know it perfectly.

But if you mean it as "I have no will to learn it further" then yes, you probably should have your chance to see the ending
Cunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Sverd

Don't be afraid to die - try new paths and ships, maybe you will find something that works better for you. Then when you feel confortable try doing it for real.
Sverd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
darksurtur

I don't find memorizing levels fun, especially on higher difficulties where the game is very stressful. But even that wouldn't be so frustrating if there was a practice mode where I could experiment safely. How much experimentation am I really going to be able to do on a boss when I have to go through a grinder of a level to get there?
darksurtur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Sverd

The whole "game" is a practice for the Gauntlet mode.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
joypad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverd View Post
The whole "game" is a practice for the Gauntlet mode.
This.

Honestly, the devs chose the carebear approach due to the western market (where games like Touhou are less popular in mainstream gamers) but if you can't just time vaunt and remember certain moments in the stage, you can:

1) Check youtube
2) Bring friends
3) Practice in lower difficulties other stages until you keep a cool head when bullets head towards you

P.S: Did you paid notice about the size of your hitbox in the tutorial?
joypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #7
PolarisOrbit

I agree with Surtur, I don't see how buying continues to the individual level modes would hurt the game.

Like somebody else said, the individual levels are just practice for Gauntlet.
PolarisOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
dimi_gr

I would like to have some more credits for the last level. I'm not that good player and always reach the conquestador but always fail. Still trying to get him killed, but it will take me very long.
dimi_gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
Sverd

It took me a while before completing Croatoa for the 1st time. Now I enjoy completing it at the Divine difficulty, because I practiced and learned.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #10
darksurtur

I've now gotten through 98% of the final level, so I anticipate being able to beat it at some point. I'm at about 6 hours of total gameplay. And my complaints hold. The last level is WAY too big a jump in difficulty from level 4, both because of the moving obstacles and the length of the end sequence. In general, I find the game well done, and in retrospect find the way they made you repeat levels on higher difficulties useful, but there are really annoying gaps in the clean progression. The big two being the fact that level 2 feels way harder than anything else and the aforementioned gap between levels 4 and 5.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
Zenstrive

Level 5 really depends on you memorizing the paths. I am able to reach the final boss after second or third try with minimal memorizing, and able to defeat him. the one after that is the problem.....

I guess if I try it again with memorizing everything I can come out on top....
Zenstrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
darksurtur

Well, I did beat it, and it gets easier every time. However, I still definitely need to have a good run to finish the game on Legendary. Divine is probably going to be out of the question, as I can only just get past the first stage of the Heart on a good day.

I find memorization is not as important as good dodging. I spend about 85% of my attention during the Heart fight on the space immediately around my ship, avoiding bullets. Once I made that switch, boss fights became so much easier ...
Old 02-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #13
Arcadiazz

Don't worry, Divine is really doable, but Judgement is quite harder. I've managed to complete every level on Judgement and all challenge levels and divine gauntlet under 20 hours total playtime, you should think about buying a 360 controller and learn how to play with the gunner.
Arcadiazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jamestown