Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Lord of the Rings series, The > Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Old 01-12-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
forerodestim

LOTR: WITN is Games For Windows LIVE or not?

I am in Spain and have bought the retail DVD Spanish version of LOTR: WITN.
I have registered this game in STEAM, but in the DVD cover it says it is also a Game For Windows LIVE.

My problem is that I see LIVE nowehere. For me, it is just a STEAM game.
When I play the game I don´t have to log in LIVE. In fact, LIVE is not in this game.

To complicate it even more, when I bought the game I was given a physical card with a serial number that allow to access a DLC when redeemed at LIVE!
WTF?

How the hell am I suposed to use the serial number in LIVE if this game has no LIVE?

I understand nothing
TX
Old 01-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
raupi

There are two kinds of games for windows:

"Games for Windows" is a lable on some games. I don't know what this should tell me, other than those games run on windows.

"Games for Windows LIVE" use the live platform, require registration with microsoft and use the GfWL game overlay.

My copy from Green Man Gaming does not use LIVE. Did you purchase a retail copy?

Steam has no DLC available for this game, as far as i can see.

I read that one DLC was some kind of last stand mode, but that has been integrated in the game for free. (source)

/edit: The official page features a logo of "Games for Windows" (not live). Does your DLC-Card show a logo from steam or GfWL to indicate where to redeem it? Or a url?

/edit: About redeeming codes, view this thread. Basically, fill the codes into steam.

Last edited by raupi: 01-16-2012 at 12:29 PM.
raupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
RevolverAce

I does not use "games for windows live". just steam.
RevolverAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #4
all2easy

Via the "waybackmachine":

The Games for Windows brand on games means four key things:

1) Quality. Games for Windows branded titles undergo extensive testing, and not just by the publisher. Microsoft also invests in quality checking each title to ensure they meet performance and reliability standards.

2) Compatibility. Games for Windows branded titles work on Windows XP and Windows Vista based PCs, including both 32 and 64 bit editions. Games for Windows titles that support controllers are also compatible with the Microsoft XBOX 360 controller for Windows, including the XBOX 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows. They even support widescreen resolutions and more.

3) Safety features. You can be confident that any title carrying the Games for Windows brand will support the new parental controls and family settings features in Windows Vista.

4) Easy to Play. Games for Windows branded titles are easy to install, find and remove, especially in Windows Vista. Every Games for Windows title appears in the new Windows Vista Games Explorer (no more hunting around the start menu for that game you just installed). And Games for Windows branded titles all offer some form of “easy install”, putting you in the game more quickly.

In other words, War In The North would not have gotten this certification back in the day - these days Games For Windows just lets you know it's for Windows and not OSX or consoles..
all2easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
ddripper

The PC version of LORT:WITN doesn't use GFWL at all. I had a similar issue with my boxed copy. My DLC cards were for the XBOX version, with uses XBOX Live. All I can suggest is to take your copy back to where you bought it and explain the problem, and hope they're able to do something about it...

Before you return it, try activating the DLC codes through steam. If they're XBOX Live codes they won't register... (Click the games menu, then Activate a product on Steam)

Last edited by ddripper: 02-10-2012 at 06:08 PM.
ddripper is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Lord of the Rings series, The > Lord of the Rings: War in the North